Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Looking forward to some warmer weather
« on: 17/03/2013 at 18:40 »
I don't know about you, but I'm really looking forward to the Spring and some warmer weather now.

Here is a nice photo that I got of a young Haddo moorhen a few years ago :cool:

Peter McCallum

Re: Looking forward to some warmer weather
« Reply #1 on: 17/03/2013 at 19:01 »
Just seen the forecast for the next couple of days Mike..... winters back with a vengance  :cry :cry :cry

paavo

« Reply #2 on: 17/03/2013 at 19:25 »
Folks, We still have winter here in Sweden, but looking forward to the spring.

//Harri

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 17/03/2013 at 20:29 »
winters back with a vengance

Can anyone tell me why winter always returns with a vengeance? Since I was a lad the P&J newspaper has ALWAYS had that as a headline, every year.  :z4
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but round about November and into December we in the northern hemisphere are almost at the point of being furthest from the sun so it gets cold up here. Depending on how the sun is behaving that year we get good winters and bad winters, but always winters. Without it there would be no snow melt that helps the fishing for the rest of the year, full reservoirs, and Scotland would not be that green and lovely place that we love fishing in so much.
There is no vengeance, just inevitability. Put winter tyres on, wrap up warm and tie flies. I was once snowed on in June in the Cairngorms (actually a blizzard that lasted 30 minutes!) so if spring starts in two weeks, all is good. :z16
Great photo Mike, and here's hoping that you get many more like that this year.

:z1

Ploddy

« Reply #4 on: 17/03/2013 at 23:38 »
I think that the issue is that the seasons are not so defined nowadays.  Remember last year in Aberdeenshire we had the hottest March day on record for Scotland at 23 degrees C and then 6 days later we were under 6 inches of snow.

Davie

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 18/03/2013 at 07:05 »
I think that the issue is that the seasons are not so defined nowadays.

Were they ever?
I can remember long and short winters when I were a lad, and wet and dry summers, and Indian summers where autumn stayed better than summer.

Just the joys of living on a island at the mercy of four different weather fronts!

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #6 on: 18/03/2013 at 08:56 »
These comments reminded me of ....

When I was a lad ......

As the Yorkshire man in Monty Python said '' There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road''.

You are all correct though  ,  fed up with this weather .

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 18/03/2013 at 09:36 »

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 18/03/2013 at 19:59 »
Haddo goslings in the Spring.

Ploddy

« Reply #9 on: 20/03/2013 at 17:36 »
We are constantly being told that the weather is generally warming up and that water levels are rising.  Wonder what difference that will make to fishing in the long term future.  What would we see if we had the chance to come back in 1000 years.  Probably people using a Barrio 999 GTI special edition line on a bamboo rod built by Sandy. :z14

Davie

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 20/03/2013 at 19:22 »
What would we see if we had the chance to come back in 1000 years.

Sea level about 20mm higher and the temperature within the +/- 2 degrees C range that it has always been in since we stopped being a snowball.

Probably people using a Barrio 999 GTI special edition line on a bamboo rod built by Sandy.

Barrio and sons still going strong and Sandy's mini, mini, mini, mini-me making rods from the extremely rare Chinese grass because of the Panda population explosion.  :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #11 on: 30/03/2013 at 12:00 »
A winter visitor to the garden this morning, a waxwing, looking nice and Healthy and hopefully on her way home and just popping in for a snack :z16

Unusual to see them on their own, but this was a single bird.

Sandy

Loxiafan

« Reply #12 on: 30/03/2013 at 23:30 »
Nice juv female Sandy. If you get any more check them for colour-rings. We colour-ringed about 500 from November to January:

Cheers,

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 03/04/2013 at 23:14 »
Was working over at the lake this afternoon, not much evidence of fly life and the wind was pretty bitter, but I saw about half a dozen nice fish move :z16

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #14 on: 04/04/2013 at 08:18 »
Mild enough here but what I am delighted to see this morning is that is has been raining  :z16
Been very dry here and some rain can only be a good thing :cool:

H

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com