Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Projects ............
« on: 17/03/2013 at 12:04 »
Projects are always great fun, some don't quite make it as products for whatever reason, but they are always fun :z12

Sandy Nelson

Re: Projects ............
« Reply #1 on: 17/03/2013 at 12:07 »
Aye we have done a few :z18

Always a lot of fun, can't wait for the next one :wink

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 17/03/2013 at 12:21 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16

Here is one that did make it as a product for a while, there are a good few of these about :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 17/03/2013 at 12:31 »
And of course the best bit is getting out to try them, in this case the bamboo :cool:

Will Shaw

« Reply #4 on: 17/03/2013 at 12:32 »
Love the aerial-style reel Mike.  :z16

Will

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 17/03/2013 at 12:38 »
You should have seen the proposed back to it :z18
It would have been awesome, just expensive to produce :cry

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 17/03/2013 at 12:44 »
And more recently, out testing the new Switch prototype line ...... which we are about to launch now :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 17/03/2013 at 12:47 »
Love the aerial-style reel Mike.  :z16

Will

It was a beautiful reel Will, but it would have had a retail of about £350 to £400 :z3

Cheers
Mike

Will Shaw

« Reply #8 on: 17/03/2013 at 12:51 »
You should have seen the proposed back to it :z18
It would have been awesome, just expensive to produce :cry

Sandy

If I remember correctly Bob Church used to use the original Match Aerial for his shooting head outfits in the late 60's/70's. Don't think I'd want to risk mine banging around in the bottom of a boat, way too sensitive!

That sound about right for the price Mike. :-(

W.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 17/03/2013 at 12:58 »
This one was a large arbor design Will :cool:

Euan Innes

« Reply #10 on: 17/03/2013 at 13:03 »
Here is one that did make it as a product for a while, there are a good few of these about

I still really love the simplicity of the Vossler reel Mike. Might still have to have one! Or the new Battenkill II maybe... :z4

I do love a click drag reel  :z16 I bought into the "must have a big drag" thing way back in the mists of time and after many different sorts of brake / reel I ended up with my lovely Teton. I can say now that I have never had to use the brake in anger on a Brown trout yet and the palm of my hand was always more than enough for a big trout.

I always thought that Mike was brave selling a reel with no "features" but always seemed to lead the way with what the fisherman actually needed, not what the adverts say they needed. I mean bamboo and reels with no brakes FFS  :z4 :z4 :z4

Here's to the next projects Mike  :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 17/03/2013 at 13:05 »
More toys :z12

Noel Kelly

« Reply #12 on: 17/03/2013 at 13:33 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16

Here is one that did make it as a product for a while, there are a good few of these about :cool:

All my 3, 4 and 5 lines are on these, own 4 of the reels and loads of spools.If I don't loose them somehow I hope to be using them for another 30+years  :z16
In fact if anyone has any they want rid of drop me a pm, I'm always on the lookout for spools especially.

Loxiafan

« Reply #13 on: 17/03/2013 at 13:34 »
I still really love the simplicity of the Vossler reel Mike. Might still have to have one! Or the new Battenkill II maybe... :z4

I do love a click drag reel  :z16 I bought into the "must have a big drag" thing way back in the mists of time and after many different sorts of brake / reel I ended up with my lovely Teton. I can say now that I have never had to use the brake in anger on a Brown trout yet and the palm of my hand was always more than enough for a big trout.

Agree with you dude - I really do like the Barrio/Vossler shame they are not for sale. But.....I just bought another Hydros II from Orvis Banchory  :oops These days I mainly play 'normal' fish by hand (and find I drop way less fish). However, bigger fish invariably strip the line from your fingers and I find the easily adjustable drag on the Hydros help subdue them 'on the fly' on those rod dipping runs ! I really wanted to buy a CFO II but honestly the larger arbor and line management the Hydros affords wins hands down. You can also silence the checker if you wish.

That said, the Battenkills are deadringers for the old Rimfly's and that ain't a bad thing !  :z16

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 17/03/2013 at 16:43 »
Still plenty of these being used too ....... Great rods Sandy :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com