Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jonathan Kerr

Fishing around Aviemore
« on: 15/03/2013 at 08:14 »
Hi all, I'm taking the wife and kid up to aviemore for a week on the 29th march...hoping to get some fishing done too, does anyone know of any 'good' fishing in the area? salmon and trout....

Peter McCallum

Re: Fishing around Aviemore
« Reply #1 on: 15/03/2013 at 08:49 »
Mr Liddle has fished there a fair bit so expect a good post from himself  :wink. If you're taking junior there's a few still waters with rainbows in them - Inverdruie (if its still on the go is just outside Avimore) on the south side.

Michael Buchan

« Reply #2 on: 15/03/2013 at 09:40 »
There is also rothiemurchas trout fishery which is 2 mins from aviemore went there in search of the Dell stream as shown on paul youngs hooked on scotland but not used anymore. Fishery was ok for a couple hours cast plenty of fish and if your taking a younster you can see and feed the fish in the stock ponds.

Cheers
Michael

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #3 on: 15/03/2013 at 10:08 »
Cheers for the info guys,

Unfortunately the wee fella is only 14weeks so not quite ready to hold a rod yet!

I'm hoping to find some reasonably priced salmon/trout beats in the area, but also interested if anyone knows any wild lochs that are worth a shot.  due to the family i wont be going out on any mammoth sessions so quite fancy the idea of spending a couple hours working a loch - as long as there are fish in it! lol

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 15/03/2013 at 17:38 »

Unfortunately the wee fella is only 14weeks so not quite ready to hold a rod yet!

never too early  :z4 :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 15/03/2013 at 18:36 »
Hi Tosh

Plenty quality fishing around Aviemore either on the Spey itself or neighbouring lochs.

Assume you don't want to travel very far and can recommend the Aviemore beats on the Spey, however they can be a wee bit 'pricy' although so early in the season should be not too bad.
However, as luck would have it, Bill Hunter's got a crackin script in this months T&S (i'm sure Hamish has seen it given his rant about a wee editorial mistake on the inside cover  ZX2 :z4 :z4) where he highlights the fishing on the Alvie Estate water.  Excellent value and the chance of some great fishing.

Just along from that the Badenoch AA water around Kingussie / Newtonmore is also quality (used to hold a season ticket there) and really good value as well.

Good chance of some great troot fishing on these beats, outside chance of Salmon, slightly better chance of Salmon below Loch Insch.
If you're more keen on a tourist then i'd head for Boat of Garten or Granton AA waters (again cracking troot fishing, sadly it's a single ticket access hence more expensive).  Check out Granton Angling Improvement Association , or Abernethy and aviemore Angling Improvement Association websites for more details.

Lochs:  Lochindorb free bank fishing, Pitoulish (mostly Pike though) boats from Rothiemurchus Estate, Dallas etc Mortimers Tackle Shop Grantown.  Spey Dam Mondulaith Hotel Laggan, Avielochan is the Osprey Angling School (i think). Insch, Alvie Alvie Estate along with Jock the Bog a small stocked brown trout water.  Alvie and Insch mostly pike. Personally i'd feel it's still a wee bit early for these waters, but if you don't try......

Hope that helps ok.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 15/03/2013 at 18:47 »
However, as luck would have it, Bill Hunter's got a crackin script in this months T&S (i'm sure Hamish has seen it given his rant about a wee editorial mistake on the inside cover  ZX2 :z4 :z4) where he highlights the fishing on the Alvie Estate water.  Excellent value and the chance of some great fishing.

Wee mistake  :shock 

But Bill Hunters bit is indeed a good read  :cool:

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #7 on: 15/03/2013 at 19:21 »
Thanks very much Allan, that's exactly the sort of info I was after  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 16/03/2013 at 14:21 »
Very welcome and hope it all falls into place.  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com