Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Haddo Trout Fishery ( to May 14th )
« on: 10/05/2007 at 23:33 »
Hi folks  :cool:

Diawl Bachs, Bibio, Buzzers and black Hoppers have produced good sport at Haddo this week, with mini lures like the black Fritz also proving a good choice  :wink:

Fly life has been prolific at times ( not that the trout appear to have noticed  :z4 ) I saw sedges, olives, hawthorns, midge, daddies, damsels and a good few other species today, the hawthorns and olive spinners were certainly about in very large numbers.

Neil Garden tempted 20 fish up to approx 9 lb for his session, John Millington 16 up to 5 lb, Graham Hartley 15 up to 12 lb, Lloyd Rattray 15 up to 10 lb, Scott Hartley 13 up to 6½ lb, Alan Mott 12 up to 4 lb, Dave Batty 10 up to 10 lb, Stuart Walker 10 up to 6½ lb and Scott Sim 10 fish up to 4 lb.

Enjoying a good session, but not quite reaching that "elusive 10th fish" were John Brown netting 9 up to 11½ lb, Colin Shand 9 up to 8 lb, Stephen Davidson 8 up to 12 lb, Sandy Bowman 7 up to 13 lb, Brian Carle 8 up to 12 lb and Scott Carle 6 fish up to 10 lb.

Another good week, but far from easy  :wink:
Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Best wishes
Mike Barrio
 :z2

Ross

« Reply #1 on: 14/05/2007 at 08:44 »
I'm famous :lol:

See the bottom pic, were they using bite indicators? or was it just a floating lure?...I noticed large yellow things/floats/feathers right where their nylon attached to their line. You can see one in the pics!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 14/05/2007 at 23:51 »
"Famous"? ........... Mark caught the fish Ross, you just look like you're playing tennis with the net  :z4

( Bite indicators ) - No, not again, this has been covered on the forum far too many times already  :z6

Right, bite indicators, sightbobs etc .......... I have no problem with anglers using these at Haddo. The only things that tend to "catch" my attention with them ( pardon the pun ) is excessive striking ...... which rips mouths and also casting them too far ........ which often closes down the available space to the anglers in the next boat.

As for the flies beneath them, I guess buzzers, bloodworm and maybe blobs kinda makes sense as far as presentation goes ......... but lures like Bunny Leech, WSW etc in my very humble opinion is just plain silly  :z4

Best wishes
Mike Barrio
 :z2

PS: Had a cracking photo of you and Mark playing a fish at the same time, but I didn't post it cause I'm useless and it was out of focus and fuzzy  :z6

PLEASE ..... No more "indicators" stuff in this thread, there are other threads in the main forum on this topic  :idea:

Ross

« Reply #3 on: 15/05/2007 at 08:04 »
It was my guidance that got that fish :lol: without me, he'd be head first in trying to catch them with his hands :wink:

I've never seen indicators before, so just wondered if thats what it was! Infact I didn't know you got in flyfishing until I read a thread on here! :lol:

Dave B

« Reply #4 on: 17/05/2007 at 09:48 »
:grin: Mike, fantasic day, Clint was overjoyed with his first 'Blue'. To Ross: a lot of people use 'sight indicators' nowadays, I my self use a home tied one that is made of CDC on a size 10 straight shank hook. I put it on my top dropper and fish buzzers underneath. It is great for seeing those really gentle takes, and yes it can catch fish! And I have had fish really hammer it when in the mood, give it a go. Dave B.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com