Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Salmon Tube Singles - PATRIOT
« on: 09/03/2013 at 11:11 »
Weather was junk yesterday so I had a trip to see Ben Tyzak

As a bit of a follow on to the Salar Frodin Tube Singles, Partridge have a PATRIOT range of Nordic Tube singles.

Straight eye, Blackened Nickel, in sizes #4 to #14, 10 hooks per packet & @ £4.00 a pop.

The material feels robust even in smaller sizes. If anyone wants a sample of a #4 or #14 let me know and I'll post a couple out.

At £4.00 for 10 Partridge are speaking my language.

Talk is fine but I can see no reason that thay won't deliver when used in anger. Has anyone tried these?

Iain

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Salmon Tube Singles - PATRIOT
« Reply #1 on: 10/03/2013 at 13:50 »
Iain,
they look strong enough. I see an orvis sticker on the packet. Are these available in Banchory?

I am heading up to the Spey tomorrow afternoon and would pick some up to have a go with singles on tubes for the first time.

I tied some dressed singles last week in Angola as part of my fishing singles all season mission to see if they hold as well as doubles. The dressed singles were all on salar hooks.

Eddie.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 10/03/2013 at 16:46 »
Hi Eddie,

Got them in the shop from #4 - #14, look pretty good although I've not fished them yet.  Been on Salar singles so far this year but they don't go small enough for much under 1" tubes so I took these in.  Even the #14 appears fairly strong, just what I've been looking for to go in the back of my summer tubes.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 11/03/2013 at 08:03 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Partridge are clever fellows  :X2 Look identical to their old and now discontinued Z15X continental carp hooks. Same size range too :)

I have some of these Patriots in larger sizes for making Pike flies and they are exceptionally strong for there weight/size. I really like them.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 11/03/2013 at 15:31 »
Rob,

Do you fly fish for Pike?

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 12/03/2013 at 07:49 »
Rob,

Do you fly fish for Pike?

Iain

Errrm..I only fly fish for PIke, the lure rods and bait rods have not been out the cupboard in years.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 12/03/2013 at 21:12 »
Guys,
I tried the Patriot singles on a 2 inch posh Tosh tube for the first time today on the Spey. The single hook looked a little bit weird sticking out of the tube, however I had 2 takes and landed both which turned out to be last years models nothing fresh. So far so good. I will try them again later this week on the Dee. Both fish were hooked in the
nose and the point was all the way through but the hook was easily removed with forceps.

Eddie.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 13/03/2013 at 08:15 »
Just out of interest, what size hook were you using?

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 13/03/2013 at 09:47 »
Rob,
I was using a size 6. It lookaed a little small on the back of a 2" tube but it was all I had so i decided to stick with it as I am determined to fish singles all season to ascertain if there is any difference with fish coming off versus doubles. It is working well so far. I will be on the Dee just below Banchory from tomorrow until Saturday. I might nip into Orvis and get some size 4 as well.

Eddie.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 13/03/2013 at 11:59 »
Hi Eddie, I asked because there is a movement from Pike fly fishers away from flies dressed on large single hooks, to massive tubes, but with a much smaller single. (ok..us lot in the UK are about 5 years behind the Scandinavian countries).

I am using size 4's on flies dressed on 4-5 inch plastic tubes (total fly length 8-10"). I do not like going bigger because the larger the hook, the more chance of deep penetration and thus damage. Size 8/0 hooks have the ability to penetrate well over an inch, which cannot be good if the fly is in the roof of the mouth or throat.

The smaller hooks tend to catch in the scissors on most occasions whilst bigger hooks were more likely to catch in the throat/toungue area.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 13/03/2013 at 13:46 »
:z4 :z4 :z4

Partridge are clever fellows  :X2 Look identical to their old and now discontinued Z15X continental carp hooks. Same size range too :)

I have some of these Patriots in larger sizes for making Pike flies and they are exceptionally strong for there weight/size. I really like them.

Different hook Rob, how long have you been using the Patriot Nordic Tube Single hooks out of interest?

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 15/03/2013 at 12:30 »
I got my Patriots about August/September last year from Kate Flemmings in Blairgowrie. He had a few pre release packs that he told me to have a try of. Just camke in a plastic zip loc packet with hand written sizes and notes.

(Z15, sorry, not Z15x which has a bit of a longer shank. Looking at them again, the Z15 has a curved rather than a straight point, I stand corrected.)

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 16/03/2013 at 19:29 »
Guys,
I used the Patriot singles on tubes today on the Dee. Landed one springer and dropped 2 off one right at the bank. I am not blaming the hooks. I will post a full report on the Dee report thread with pictures. I will carry on with my single hook experiment all season.

Eddie.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 17/03/2013 at 14:58 »
Nice one Eddie  :z16

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com