Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Marc Fauvet

Re: Historically Correct North Country 'Spiders'
« Reply #30 on: 13/03/2013 at 15:33 »
not to worry, mate. i still have one of these from when i was a tree surgeon  :z16  :z2 :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #31 on: 13/03/2013 at 20:23 »
I think it was OE who mentioned 13 fibres for a NC spider.  I am sure somewhere I head that a spider tied in the Clyde style should only have x number of wraps of silk on the body and that it was not supposed to go anywhere close even to the hook point, tied very short.
Regardless Pete, that's a nice fly  :z16

Cheers

Ben

Loxiafan

« Reply #32 on: 13/03/2013 at 21:01 »
I think it was OE who mentioned 13 fibres for a NC spider.  I am sure somewhere I head that a spider tied in the Clyde style should only have x number of wraps of silk on the body and that it was not supposed to go anywhere close even to the hook point, tied very short.

He does mention it Ben, but doesn't approve....in his best Yorkshire drawl " a fish't have that down ti nowt in no time". Ollie wraps at least 2 - 3 full turns (unstripped) on his Wat Bloas. Tummel style spiders seem to have very, very short bodies. Local tends eh, ? !

Lindsay

Ben Dixon

« Reply #33 on: 13/03/2013 at 21:50 »
Hi Lindsay,

I think you may be correct on both counts mate.  OE does use more hackle than 13 barbs and it could very well be Tummel rather than Clyde spiders that are tied short.

Cheers

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #34 on: 14/03/2013 at 07:17 »

it could very well be Tummel rather than Clyde spiders that are tied short.

Thats the one Ben, clyde style - level with the hook point (no further back) sparse hackle and wing. Tummel - the body barely exists probably less than half way from point to eye max. Both very effctive.

Peter

P.s. both styles available from yours truely at competative prices  :grin :grin :X2

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com