Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter McCallum

Re: Historically Correct North Country 'Spiders'
« Reply #15 on: 10/03/2013 at 08:15 »
I tied this as a clyde style P&O

it has the recommended 1 - 1 1/2 turns of hackle for a clyde style.

Sometimes we are guilty of taking things written 100+ years ago too dogmatically especially when we have access to good quality tying materials, remember thgese guys were using the local materials. Saying that we trout tyers are nothing copmpared to the detail & precision fully dressed salmon tyers go in for, it's almost a disease which thankfully I have only had a slight touch of :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #16 on: 10/03/2013 at 10:57 »
Nice fly Peter  :z16

:z18

Jim

Loxiafan

« Reply #17 on: 10/03/2013 at 12:43 »
I tied this as a clyde style P&O...it has the recommended 1 - 1 1/2 turns of hackle for a clyde style.

Sometimes we are guilty of taking things written 100+ years ago too dogmatically especially when we have access to good quality tying materials, remember thgese guys were using the local materials.

Liking it ! Nice Spider Peter, very well proportioned and balanced  :z16 Agree with you on the dogma, hence my OP. Do you strip one side of the feather for the more sparse spiders ? I have started doing that and quite like it (though it felt 'wrong' ripping off good fibres !).

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #18 on: 10/03/2013 at 12:55 »
....just looking at Walbran's spider again, after Peter's, another epiphany ! Because Walbran et al were having to whip the gut to the hook shank, his 'spider' is much thicker bodied than what we use today ( because we have hooks eyes !). Must admit I really like my spiders, and dries, to be quite slim bodied. That may not have been a luxury afforded these old masters ?

The 'period' Spiders in B.Smiths FF&FT photo are also chunky monkeys by todays standards, presumably due to the whipping of the gut, but also quite thick thread used. So basically (some) 18/19th Century spiders were fatter and hairier - Meatloaf Spiders ? ! :z4  :z7

Lindsay

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #19 on: 10/03/2013 at 14:09 »
18/19th Century spiders were fatter and hairier - Meatloaf Spiders ? ! :z4  :z7

ask and Ye shall receive...

:z18,
marc

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #20 on: 10/03/2013 at 14:13 »
that's lovely, Peter  :z16

Gents, i recall reading somewhere that there should not be more than 13 legs (hackle fibers) on a North Country Spider.
could someone enlighten me on this please ? (just the history/author part, not a debate whether this is right or wrong  :X2 )

thanks,
marc

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #21 on: 10/03/2013 at 14:15 »
Lindsay, i've been thinking about this gut stuff and was wondering if it couldn't be considered as bait ?  :z4 :z8 :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #22 on: 10/03/2013 at 14:15 »
ask and Ye shall receive...

That will never work Marc, for a start it's got the wrong number of legs for a 'spider' !  :wink  :z4

L

Loxiafan

« Reply #23 on: 10/03/2013 at 14:19 »
Gents, i recall reading somewhere that there should not be more than 13 legs (hackle fibers) on a North Country Spider.
could someone enlighten me on this please ? (just the history/author part, not a debate whether this is right or wrong  :X2 )

I've heard/read that too...but can't remember. Possibly OE referencing it on his Wet Fly DVD ? He certainly poo-poos it, preferring to do more wraps on his own spider/NC flies (and I am with him on that).

Some Spiders I see have less than 13, sometimes 8 or 10 !  :shock These, to me, just look 'wrong', basically thread on a hook, but I can't tell you what the fish think as I wouldn't use one  :wink

L

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #24 on: 10/03/2013 at 14:59 »

i have a hard time agreeing with a poo-pooer that feels the need to wear a safety helmet to go fishing...    :z4

Peter McCallum

« Reply #25 on: 10/03/2013 at 20:34 »
that's lovely, Peter  :z16

could someone enlighten me on this please ? (just the history/author part, not a debate whether this is right or wrong  :X2 )

thanks,
marc

Saw a couple of clyde styles tied by an old guy when I were a lot younger and he obviously adhered to the 'as many fibres as there are legs'. He was also using a 11' or 12' greenheart rod and he was catching many many trout!! :z14

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #26 on: 10/03/2013 at 22:27 »
thanks Peter but i guess the mystery still remains. 6 isn't 13, heck it's not 12 either ! (in the case the angler's seeing double  :z3 )

cheers,
marc

Peter McCallum

« Reply #27 on: 10/03/2013 at 23:47 »
Do you strip one side of the feather for the more sparse spiders ? I have started doing that and quite like it (though it felt 'wrong' ripping off good fibres !).

nope both sides but 1 1/2 turns max of hackle :z16

Loxiafan

« Reply #28 on: 13/03/2013 at 12:36 »
nope both sides but 1 1/2 turns max of hackle :z16

Cheers Peter that was what I thought looking at your flee. To be honest, I do think the barbs 'sit' better (if you stroke them back as winding) without the stripping than with, I must admit.

L

Loxiafan

« Reply #29 on: 13/03/2013 at 12:37 »
i have a hard time agreeing with a poo-pooer that feels the need to wear a safety helmet to go fishing...    :z4

hey Marc, you've no been fishing with me......you might need it !

L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com