Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Fishing Wheels
« Reply #15 on: 08/03/2013 at 08:32 »
I have done and am still doing the Landy bit, but as a fishing vehicle, nah, no chance! Far to easy to break into and no cover for luggage in the boot. At one stage I had one key that would open my Disco, 90 and 110, and it was not even a Landy key :) Economy is not great either at 25(ish) mpg on diesel, or 10-12 on my V8 :)

Nah, I have to say that the best fishing wagon I have and still own is a Subaru Outback. The only car I might get instead is the diesel version.

Far too many good features to list here, but just nip up to the British Legion in Banchory just now, you will see quiet a few in the car park belonging to anglers, and good reason too.

Briefly though, proper 4x4 with lo ratio gearbox, 9" of ground clearance, capable of comfortable cruising on the motorway or negotiating farm tracks, mud and snow. MASSIVE boot that holds a 3 piece 15 footer without the seats going down, has a proper luggage cover to hide away your gear, the boot is at the right height to sit on when doning waders etc. Releable with an engine that will easily do 150,000+ miles, and econonical to at 32-40 mpg for my Petrol auto, depending on roads.

Best feature for me, heated leather seats that allow me to climb straight in from the river, still in my waders, and warm up in minutes :)..oh, and with rod carriers fitted, the shape of the car means that a 15 footer does not over hang the back or stick up in the air, it sits very low across the top, thus not hitting branches on country roads ...unlike Landies :)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 08/03/2013 at 08:34 »
Oh..did the Alfa bit too...interesting experience...it was rebuilt so many time in the 3 years from new that when we handed it back, it feld like a new car...literally :)

Cracking car to drive though, but the new GT86 beats it ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 08/03/2013 at 09:21 »
What about Marcs van ...... can vans be cool as fishing wheels?

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 08/03/2013 at 10:49 »
What about Marcs van ...... can vans be cool as fishing wheels?

Cheers
Mike

NEVER! I cannot ever see a van being acceptable parked up next to the fishing hut at Crathes!  :X2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 08/03/2013 at 10:51 »
I like vans, always have done! :z7

Euan Innes

« Reply #20 on: 08/03/2013 at 10:57 »
I cannot ever see a van being acceptable parked up next to the fishing hut at Crathes!

Not unless it's bringing the carry out.  :z18

:z1

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #21 on: 08/03/2013 at 11:18 »
this van holds a full size mattress in the back. something none of your girly speedsters can do....   :z4 :z4 :z4

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #22 on: 08/03/2013 at 11:28 »
Marc, as I am a short person I can easily sleep on the floor of my 110 hard top defender.

Eddie.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #23 on: 08/03/2013 at 13:07 »
this van holds a full size mattress in the back. something none of your girly speedsters can do....   :z4 :z4 :z4

A matress fits the Subaru with the seats down  :z16 However, I use a blow up materess and can comfortably sleep in the back and still have room for my gear :)

Eddie, my 110 has a "carawagon" conversion inside so the rear bench seat folds down into a double(ish) bed :) Trouble is, with the amount of glass in the back of a County SW, I have had to put drop down blinds all round :)

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #24 on: 08/03/2013 at 13:16 »
Rob,
no windows in the back of mine, however I have been toying with the idea of a roof tent.

Eddie.

Ploddy

« Reply #25 on: 08/03/2013 at 18:36 »
Have had a Fabia Estate for last two and a half years and had absolutely no issues with it and very economical.  In another four years when I "retire" from my current role would like to get a Defender which has been rebuilt onto a galvanised chassis.  Might have to be a second car if I can get away with it depending on what I am doing then to earn a crust.

Davie

Euan Innes

« Reply #26 on: 08/03/2013 at 19:05 »
this van holds a full size mattress in the back. something none of your girly speedsters can do....

Once the girlies sink into the leather of my Alfa GT they do NOT want anything to do with the back of a van.

Oh, you mean YOU sleep in the van?!?!? Oops, my bad.... :z7

:z1

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: 08/03/2013 at 19:20 »
Unless it's an  AA van , then they are plenty grateful  :z7

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #28 on: 09/03/2013 at 00:27 »
Once the girlies sink into the leather of my Alfa GT they do NOT want anything to do with the back of a van.

ah, but the disco ball in the back lures them and once there, puts them in a hypnotic state !  :z16
(besides, leather seats just get sticky...   :z15)

:z4,
marc

Allan Liddle

« Reply #29 on: 10/03/2013 at 00:31 »
Fancy a Mitsubishi Outlander or Peugeot 4007, or Citreon C Crosser (same car really).
Subaru Outback looks ok as well.  Current x trail not bad certainly on the fishing front bags room, gets you to the places you want to go etc, just getting a wee bit long in the tooth

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com