Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Fishing Wheels
« on: 07/03/2013 at 17:44 »
Hmmm, I'd love to be able to just go out and buy some fishing wheels, but what would I buy? :roll

Would it be a Landrover, a Fiat Panda, a Daihatsu Terios, a BMW with the funny tyres, or would you forget all the 4X4 and just go for an Alfa!

Big boys toys :z12

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

Re: Fishing Wheels
« Reply #1 on: 07/03/2013 at 19:02 »
Do not bother with the Alfa, it really is that simple. You have to be a special kind of idiot to own an Alfa, I know I own one.......  :X1
If I were buying on the second-hand market looking for a fishing car which can carry a few mates, all our gear, rides nicely, is cheap to run, is practical, doesn't cost a fortune to run and has enough off road 4x4 ability then I'd look at trying to find a low mileage diesel Kangoo Trekka.
Actually.... I am looking for one of them or something very like it :wink

I wouldn't bother with the Terios, it's nice enough for two but not a 'boys' fishing car. It's also quite gay.

Panda 4x4 of all types are good, but like the Terios is a wee bit on the small side.

For Landrover owner see Alfa owner description above.

Outside choice :? How about a Jaguar X-type estate 3.0 or 2.5 AWD :? I would  :cool:

If it were a single vehicle that had to multi-task then I'd probably bite the bullet and opt for a Skoda Yeti.
Yes, the boot space is small but they drive well, are excellent off road (4x4 version), they're reliable and they've just become the standard replacement vehicle for Coastguard Sector Managers (like me :! ah ha :!).

The choice really is almost endless.

H :cool:

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 07/03/2013 at 19:14 »
the PW over on the Ghillie thread is all you'd ever need, Mike. it's the Ultimate Fishing-Mobile !  :z16

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 07/03/2013 at 19:24 »
Hamish with the exception of the jag that's just a list of seriously ugly looking vehicles.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 07/03/2013 at 20:04 »
Shogun Sport ..............................

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 07/03/2013 at 20:08 »

For Landrover owner see Alfa owner description above.

Hamish, I am the idiot landrover owner personified. I have a 30 year old petrol landie and a diesel range rover. The landy is more reliable than the range rover, as fishing cars they can get me and may mates anywhere (when they are running) and you can get shed loads of stuff in them.

I too like the Skoda Yeti.

Eddie.

H :cool:
[/quote]

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 07/03/2013 at 20:09 »
Always fancied a Subaru Forester, but to be honest anything with a large boot would do.

You don't  really need a 4 x 4  anyway, just ask Kev Muir

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 07/03/2013 at 20:12 »
Kev's system works :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 07/03/2013 at 20:14 »
 :z4 :z4

Aye, and lots of it.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 07/03/2013 at 20:18 »
Golf GTI and have some fun getting there :z16

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 07/03/2013 at 21:42 »
Always fancied a Subaru Forester, but to be honest anything with a large boot would do.

You don't  really need a 4 x 4  anyway, just ask Kev Muir

Iain

Not really sure Kevs off road antics are a positive endorsement for not having a 4x4  :z7 :X2
The scooby is a good call, but they're bloody thirsty  :shock

H

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #11 on: 07/03/2013 at 21:54 »
Got to be a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 full-cab.  Can't wait for the season to start over here in Newfoundland to test it out with all the gear aboard.  :wink

Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #12 on: 07/03/2013 at 22:00 »
What you need is a Nice Ford F150 XTR

:z16

Alex

Euan Innes

« Reply #13 on: 07/03/2013 at 22:03 »
Do not bother with the Alfa, it really is that simple. You have to be a special kind of idiot to own an Alfa, I know I own one.......

Special idiot here. Quite right H! Alfas are great for getting to the fishing, if the fishing is in Beauly and you live in Edzell! Or Beauly to Lochinver, but the rough bits after that, now that's a different story.

Actually my GT has a large boot for all the gear, comfort for getting you there and back, diesel for frugality, and style to be talked about at the hut. But then it hasn't broken down yet :z4

Skoda Octavia Scout is the dogs danglies Mike, fwd, comfort, diesel value for money.

Skoda Fabia estate in 2nd place - as above without fwd.

Just you? Mitsi Shogun swb (for the macho look!)

You need something that nips on but doesn't suck fuel at an alarming rate, that is comfy but not a sports car and not nickable (Skodas are not nickable)

They are quite good off road to a point. That point is before Kevs Mon-daaaay-oh point. Waaaay before! Kev, stop that sh*t! :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Golf GTI and have some fun getting there
See Alfa stuff above  :z16

:z1

Loxiafan

« Reply #14 on: 07/03/2013 at 23:39 »
Would it be a Landrover, a Fiat Panda, a Daihatsu Terios, a BMW with the funny tyres, or would you forget all the 4X4 and just go for an Alfa!

Not bothered, just what April V is happy driving me around in !  :z4  :z7

L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com