Re: Small Fly Reels
« Reply #15 on: 07/03/2013 at 09:09 »
Not sure of the model numbers, but I have 3 of those reels

Stop showing off Rob  :z7

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 07/03/2013 at 09:40 »
I had a Ryobi 357 magnesium reel (I'd love another) that had 150m of backing and a DT5 on it. It weighed no more than what I currently use, balanced the rod perfectly but had a great retrieve speed.

Hi Euan,

I still have it, in pristine condition and with the spare spool, remind me next time we are going to meet up and it is yours! :wink

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 07/03/2013 at 10:25 »
Stop showing off Rob  :z7

Lol..I wish...there are people on here with Lamsons and so on!!

I think the small one was a 255...about 3" in diameter. Just found one on ebay at £60...on a vintage tackle site! I feel old!

Think I paid about £30 20 years ago.

I think the next one up was the 355? Was the 357 the biggest?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 07/03/2013 at 12:30 »
Depend largely on how you define a small reel i suppose.

I have always had a weight obsession and have tried loads of Large arbour lightweight reels, but i always seem to come to back to Ari Harts reels for Aesthetics and the lovely sound they make, despite their relatuively small spool diameters, and heavier weights. They are getting rather expensive now though :shock so may prove to be a good investment :z8

I have a couple of very small 2.5" spool ATH reels that i use with my 4wt lines. The ATH reels have small wide spools compared to say a CFO or Hardy lightweight. In fact the Traun F1 i have is overall bigger than a Featherweight Hardy but has a much larger diameter spool centre and is substantially wider, despite having a smaller spool overall diameter. The featherweight will take about 40yds of backing with the 4wt line but the Traun takes 100 plus a full 4wt. The ATH reel is also heavier.
I have about 20ft cut off the running line on all my river lines so i get more backing on to build up the spool to reduce coiling, Mind you a single good stretch at the start of fishing makes all my Barrio lines straight :z16
The extra weight is handy with the longer Cane rods.

So i don't think the diameter makes a whole lot of difference, as long as it suits your needs and you like it :z3 The weight does have an impact but its a balancing act between form and function for me. If i can make the small Dinky sized reels work effeciently then do rather look nice on the end of my Cane rods. :z16

Sandy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #19 on: 07/03/2013 at 13:23 »
As has been said, depends what you call small. 

:X2

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #20 on: 07/03/2013 at 13:36 »
perfect size for my cat !!!   :z4 :z4 :z4

is that an ice-fishing reel ?

cheers,
marc

Euan Innes

« Reply #21 on: 07/03/2013 at 15:24 »
I still have it, in pristine condition and with the spare spool, remind me next time we are going to meet up and it is yours!

The end of this month Mike. I'll be up for a cast at Haddo  :grin

Iain Goolager

« Reply #22 on: 07/03/2013 at 15:53 »
I remember my first ever fly line.  :X2 here we go....
I swapped some fishing tackle for it, if I recall correctly it was exchanged for 3 shanny's (woolies equivalent of a toby but weighing it at about 0.3 drams!) and a couple of mackerel spinners (which everyone had but were as s**t as a piece of s**t).
It was hard to see them go but I really wanted this fly line.

It was cream in colour and came tightly wound in a figure of eight, t'was possibly 18 feet long and I've no idea if it had a front taper - not that I would have known what one was anyway.
Coupled with an intrepid rimfly, a woolies spinning rod, some cast connectors, woolies mono and two teal, blue & silvers I strutted and whipped every bit of water I could find like a Great White BAP!

Funny how things never really change.

I would like to apologise for straying slightly off topic but I'm not going to.  :z7  Well, the rimfly was a small reel and I did not have any backing 'cos I didn't know what that was.

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #23 on: 07/03/2013 at 16:28 »
I had a Gnat fly reel that when coupled with an Airflo line I never had to ever retrieve line because it shot back towards me as soon as it hit the water, and I do mean HIT.

It was about then that I started to hate small reels... :z4

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #24 on: 07/03/2013 at 20:46 »
 I just picked up a Shakespear Odyssey new for £10, disc drag 3in, wide arbour its as nice a reel as you would get I have another I have used for a few years,easgach 1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #25 on: 08/03/2013 at 08:38 »
My first rod was a Shakey Alpha glass fibre thing, 7-8 and bright orange/amber n colour, the reel a Shakey something or other and the line...wait for this, a Cortland 444!! Cost more than the rod and reel put together!

The whole outfir must have been close to a pound in weight!

Alex Burnett

« Reply #26 on: 12/03/2013 at 19:15 »

is that an ice-fishing reel ?

cheers,
marc

Hi Marc sorry missed this comment, yes it is an ice-fishing reel, thought about using it for line-to-hand.
 :wink :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Alex

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #27 on: 13/03/2013 at 09:41 »
good deal ! you can use the coils from the 'Virtually Inexistent Arbor' as an indicator !  :z16 :X2 :X1 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com