Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Small Fly Reels
« on: 06/03/2013 at 20:04 »
At what point does a small fly reel become too small?

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

Re: Small Fly Reels
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/2013 at 21:58 »
Have you a specific reel in mind Mike?

if it doesn't hold the required amount of line or balance the rod then it's too small   :z6 I'd say

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 06/03/2013 at 22:27 »
Mike,
When the line comes off looking like a slinky because it's wound too small and forty thousand turns of the handle retrieves 4 feet of line.

There is an attraction for small reels, but a bigger reel is a better plan. It can go the other way too, as too big a reel might not balance the rod. As rods get lighter this problem gets bigger.

My Access 10' #4 has my wee Teton on it and 3.5" is a little small for it (still works really well), but my bigger Teton 4" is way too big. It's now on my Access 9' #9 and works perfectly. As you match a line to a rod, you now seem to have to match a reel to a rod too.

Thank goodness we are all tackle tarts!!

:z1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 06/03/2013 at 22:28 »
When it gets almost as small as an Orvis Battenkill Barstock I then it is too small.  Otherwise, what Iain said!

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 06/03/2013 at 22:59 »
Have you a specific reel in mind Mike?

if it doesn't hold the required amount of line or balance the rod then it's too small   :z6 I'd say

Iain

Yarp - what he said  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 06/03/2013 at 23:03 »
You often read on the internet that folk can't get a standard length WF3F fly line on their new 3/4 reel .... Is it therefore a 1/2 reel in reality?

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 06/03/2013 at 23:06 »
Probably not Mike, the 3wt line is more than likely just not dense enough  :z4

Seriously, I've not heard of that happening!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 06/03/2013 at 23:19 »
Seems to be happening more recently Ben, maybe it is just a new reel model or two :X1

Seriously though, I think a customer should be able to expect to get a bit of backing on a reel and if they are that small then memory is bound to be a problem.

What would we look for from a 3/4 reel? Should it take a 90 ft DT3 and a 90 ft WF4 for example?

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 06/03/2013 at 23:26 »
Raises the question.... do you need 100 metres of backing on a 3/4wt :? 50 :? How much is too much :? Too little :?

Hmmmmmmm  :z8

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 06/03/2013 at 23:32 »
Raises the question.... do you need 100 metres of backing on a 3/4wt :? 50 :? How much is too much :? Too little :?

Hmmmmmmm  :z8

That's what I mean Hamish, even 20 to 25 metres of backing with a DT3 or WF4 should be a reasonable ask?

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 06/03/2013 at 23:49 »
I don't like those 'traditional' tiny reels. Perhaps they are bought for aesthetics on a certain rod.

Lightweight large/ medium arbour reels and thin section backing should be standard on all outfits. If it's for a specific outfit for working tiny streams presentation is paramount so you don't want coily line & if it's an outfit for fishing streams/ water with larger fish then you are best with the safety net of 30' minimum of backing. I think backing should also form a masking or bed layer between flyline coating and reel spool surface.

I also hate noisy reels, seriously don't like them and the smaller reels tend to have that grating rip.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #11 on: 07/03/2013 at 00:44 »
even 20 to 25 metres of backing with a DT3 or WF4 should be a reasonable ask?

Cheers
Mike

Maybe in the majority of UK situations Mike but, I choose the line weight for fly size and conditions rather than expected size of fish so there are time where I may want to be stacked up with a decent amount of backing.  20m should be more than enough but I'd sooner have a little more than that if possible.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 07/03/2013 at 00:51 »
Agreed Ben, that's why I've always had my #3 lines on reasonably lightweight 5/6 mid arbor reels :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #13 on: 07/03/2013 at 06:46 »
Way before mid and large arbour reels became the norm I always had larger diameter than required lightweight reels on all my rods. I had a Ryobi 357 magnesium reel (I'd love another) that had 150m of backing and a DT5 on it. It weighed no more than what I currently use, balanced the rod perfectly but had a great retrieve speed.

I also once has a System 3 reel that said that it should take a DT6 and 75m of backing but could barely hold the DT6.
I might be the odd man out here, but I do like a lot of backing on my reels, proper sea dacron at that.  :z16

The size of fish has nothing to do with my choice of reel,  I used to use a Clan 11' #5 for trout and summer salmon. Weight distribution and line retrieve are much more important to me. My Teton 6 has an SLX #4 and 125m of 20lb sea dacron - it only looks small!

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 07/03/2013 at 08:07 »
I had a Ryobi 357 magnesium reel (I'd love another) that had 150m of backing and a DT5 on it. It weighed no more than what I currently use, balanced the rod perfectly but had a great retrieve speed.

Not sure of the model numbers, but I have 3 of those reels, one I used on a cane rod and it took a DT 3 and plenty of 20lb dacron, another I used with a WF6 and again, lots of backing and the last one was the biggest of the range, with a WF8 and probably 100+ yards of backing.

I saw them the other day during a tidy, the smallest is so light!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com