Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: SLX and Bamboo
« Reply #15 on: 07/03/2013 at 14:47 »
...sorry just realised you are all talking about Bamboo rods here and I am off topic. Question still stands though, esp. as SLX is slightly higher than standard AFTM ? Anyone tried 'underlining' the SLX on 'normal' rods  :z4

Lindsay

I have a #4 and a #5 SLX, bought for the same numbered rods, both Orvis ZG tip flex 9 footers.

The #5 feels heavy on the #5 rod, so I tried the #4, and it works beautifully.

I used the #5 line on a Diamondback Flawless 9' 6" #6 and again, it felt much better for normal fishing.

I go back to the #5 rod and line combination if fishing large bushy/foam dries as it "punches" the fly forward with a short line.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: 07/03/2013 at 16:10 »
Cool its all interesting stuff.

I've been using the 4wt SLX on my 9ft S4 4wt Must go and try the 3wt on it now, just to see.
Must confess i do use a DT3 on it too  :z8 so just perhaps :roll .

I guess its more good reasons to try before you buy, or perhaps why we end up with loads of gear and only use certain bits, i think i can see a theme here :X1

Sandy

Loxiafan

« Reply #17 on: 07/03/2013 at 21:18 »
Thanks for all the comments guys, lots to think about there ! Looks like a #3 SLX might be worth a shout, but then the #4 SLX seemed fine on both the 4wt Helios and Access, the 4wt Mallard fantastic with Access  :z16 Also, you guys that are under-lining can actually cast:oops

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 08/03/2013 at 08:40 »
Also, you guys that are under-lining can actually cast:oops

Not me!!!

Loxiafan

« Reply #19 on: 08/03/2013 at 13:15 »
Not me!!!

I bet you cast better than me  :wink

Loxiafan

« Reply #20 on: 18/03/2013 at 21:53 »
OOI is anyone 'underlining' with the Mallard DT's ? I really like DT lines, esp. Rio LT Trout which the Mallard almost matches in tapers. Although I bought a #3 GT90 for my new Streamflex Plus #3, I am considering a Mallard DT #2 as 'the line' for this rod to give an 'ultralight feel' but with good control with more line out ? Haven't tried the new SF with the GT90 #3 yet though so may hold off pulling the trigger till I do so. However, a #4 GT90 on 9' 4wt SF does start to work the rod (much) more as you aerialize more line eg. tip doesn't recover as well, which is no real surprise ! Strangely a DT Mastery didn't feel oot of control  ??? The new SF's are not as whippy a the old model, more a progressive mid to tip action, but with a big troot (yes I catch them from time to time  :wink) you can feel the rod bend right down to the butt.

At £22 it's hardly going to have a bad outcome is it ?  :wink

Folly ? Stick to proper AFTM ratings ? Put on a Mallard WF #3 ? If I can get to the Orvis open day I will bring this stuff along for the experts.

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: 19/03/2013 at 09:16 »
Lindz

If a rod suits a WF4 then i would be trying it with a DT3, i have always underlined by 1 when it comes to DT's
I also reckons the SLX should be used in the same size as the DT.
I have a history of underlining rods, but then i also have a history of preferring DT's

So i'd say get a DT2 and give it a go :z16

:z18

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #22 on: 19/03/2013 at 10:11 »
Hi Sandy,

If a rod suits a WF4 then i would be trying it with a DT3, i have always underlined by 1 when it comes to DT's

When fishing at what range?

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: 19/03/2013 at 16:23 »
Fishing range, 10-60ft i suppose :z16
But then i also tend to cast off the tip (unless i'm on a nice soft rod, which is why i like them :z7), so it is largely a personal quirk, Still worth trying though :z16

Sandy

Loxiafan

« Reply #24 on: 19/03/2013 at 16:56 »
Cheers Sandy, I would consider that a more than workable range, but I can see where Ben is coming from !

Lindsay

Ben Dixon

« Reply #25 on: 19/03/2013 at 19:57 »
Fishing range, 10-60ft i suppose :z16

Interesting perspective Sandy, what benefit do you get from doing this? 

50' ish cast with no shoot using a #5 GT90 or GT125 or Orvis Trout, Snowbee XS.....

9' rod, 12' leader, 30' of flyline outside of the tip approx 140 grains of line
Same distance with DT4 approx 120 grains

Same rod for those distances would perform the same with a DT5 or WF5, the only time there would be a difference would be once you started to cast off back tapers of WF lines and the big difference would come with carries that were greater than that fishing range.  Going down one for a DT only reduces the mass you have available to cast and carry leader and fly.  Does this not make the same cast more difficult particularly when fishing at below 50'?

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 19/03/2013 at 21:51 »
Don't know what the benefit is Ben, but I've often found the same as Sandy with some #4 and #5 rods ..... it just feels right sometimes :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #27 on: 19/03/2013 at 22:04 »
Don't know what the benefit is Ben, but I've often found the same as Sandy with some #4 and #5 rods ..... it just feels right sometimes :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Think I'd have to try it Mike  :z4

Struggling to get my head around this one.  A certain weight of line works a certain rod nicely within a specified range of distances but because the profile of the line that is still on the reel is different, it feels better to go down a size  :z8  Can't see how it would (or should) work really, I'm prepared to give it a go sometime though!

Cheers

Ben

Marc Fauvet

Re: SLX and Bamboo New
« Reply #28 on: 20/03/2013 at 00:10 »
hi Ben,
this guy will explain why a DT is better.  :z4
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 20/03/2013 at 00:20 »
Oh no, not that one again Marc ZX3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com