Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

SEA FISHING!! Help!!
« on: 08/05/2007 at 21:50 »
Hi folkk, hope you can help me on this one.

im planning a sea fishing trip next monday with a friend off sum rocks in the boddam or peterhead area but dont really know what im doing!!

what tackle, tactics and baits are best?? weights or floats?? lures, feathers or bait??

thanks

Keith

stickleback

SEA FISHING!! Help!!
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2007 at 21:57 »
Haven't fished there myself but for advice you could try a phone call to the Peterhead fishing tackle shop Hook Line & Sinker, Tel 01779 475006.

Ross

SEA FISHING!! Help!!
« Reply #2 on: 08/05/2007 at 22:09 »
Tackle, at least a 12ft beach caster, and your own choice of reel. A 14-20lb line would be an advantage, as some large flats, congers, cod and pollack can be caught.

Bait...Mackerel, Lugworm, Rag, Squid, Crab

Feathers are good in mackerel season, especially off the break water. Same with shiney lures, again break water.

It's been known that Ling and Bass are caught frequently, however I've only seen 1 off each on outings.

Read up on the tides, as it makes all the difference. Its been so long since I've done sea fishing..I can barely remember the ins and outs.

Wouldn't bother with a float, just perch the rod up high and watch for bites.

Rocks off boddam are the best, especially round by the power station! Lobsters/Crabs frequent the water outlet as its warm.

Rob Brownfield

SEA FISHING!! Help!!
« Reply #3 on: 09/05/2007 at 08:57 »
Keep things simple as you will lose tackle in the rocks.

I would go upto 30 pound line straight through as you may have to haul fish straight up the rocks.

Fish single hook rigs with a "rotten" bottom for the lead so if you hook a fish and the lead gets snagged, it will break free leaving your fish to be wound in.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/rotten-bottom-rigs.php

or use a pulley rig.

You are a little late for the cod, and too early for the mackeral so you might be scrathing around a bit unfortuantly. There should be pollock/saithe about and they can be caught by using a 2 oz lead, a flowing trace and a sandeel as bait. Cast out, wind back close to the bottom and "BANG"... :)

SEA FISHING!! Help!!
« Reply #4 on: 09/05/2007 at 10:16 »
thanks for the advice folks! hopefullly i will have sum fish for tea cum monday nite  :grin:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com