Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Ythan 2013
« Reply #60 on: 21/05/2013 at 23:04 »
Had a few casts this evening.

Lots of Parr and Wee trout playing Lets kill the stoat, again :roll But no sign of anything needing a net.

Water is a touch coloured but clearing slowly, height is nice :z16.

I did see a handful of what looked like Yellow Mays, but couldn't catch one to give a proper ID, still they were very pale, yellowy and about a size 14/16.
First ones i've seen this year if they are May's

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #61 on: 25/05/2013 at 22:57 »
Lovely night tonight, river is clearing nicely and a good hatch of what looked like medium sized olives came off between 9 and 1030pm, lots of wee troot feeding.
Size 14 DHE was happily munched by most who saw it :z16

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #62 on: 15/08/2013 at 21:41 »
Been a long time coming, but i finally have something else to report for the river, well technically the estuary :roll

Today the tide was a nice time in the morning, so my mate and i headed down to the estuary to try our luck.
It was a lovely day with a bit of a breeze but nice and warm and the water was pretty clear. :z16

Our day began with Finnock and we got quite a few with some pushing the pound mark, most were sealiced with a mixture of long tailed and what i surmise to be standard ones?

The second fish was taken on the fly as you can see, i had a few on wee baitfish flies and it kinda made my day getting some on the fly rod :z16
I was fishing with my Switch rod and a Barrio 6/7 switch line with a slow sinking polytip. A great combo for the estuary and the prevailing conditions.

I didn't connect with any sea-trout but my mate had 3, all around the 2lb mark. 2 were starting to turn to breeding colours but 1 was a bar of silver and looked really great against the seaweed

All in all a great day out, between us we had a heap of Finnock plus the sea-trout, lots of fish were showing and splashing around for most of the day.
We fished the ebbing tide right down to its lowest point and the fish only really stopped taking when the tide turned and headed back in.

All good fun.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #63 on: 15/08/2013 at 22:27 »
Awesome, looks like fun and some great photos Sandy! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #64 on: 16/08/2013 at 19:24 »
Nice photo's & sounds like exciting fishing  :z16

Finnock from the brackish...............it seems like a lifetime ago  :cry

Nice

Iain

Allan Liddle

« Reply #65 on: 16/08/2013 at 19:28 »
Fantastic stuff and great fishing Sandy well done  :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #66 on: 16/08/2013 at 20:57 »
nice stuff sandy. Love the translucence of the fly

Noel Kelly

« Reply #67 on: 17/08/2013 at 23:42 »
Major catch from the ythan today

Mike Barrio

« Reply #68 on: 18/08/2013 at 00:10 »
Nice one Noel :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #69 on: 18/08/2013 at 00:12 »
Thanks mike I'm very proud of that foul hooked baby  :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #70 on: 21/08/2013 at 13:56 »
Hope it didn't leave you feeling flat, good to see you were fly fishing though, it's good for the sole.  :X2 :X2Sorry guys, pre Shetland excitement, i'll get my coat.  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #71 on: 21/08/2013 at 15:31 »
Thats another species to add to the list. I have been fishing Garthdee on the Dee a bit and I am amazed to not only see vast shoals of wee 1" trout, but the river bed is coated in tiny flatties of the same size.

I also had an eel of around 3 pounds nosing around feet from me, lifting stones and snaffling anything that was there. I have never seen an eel feeding at such close quarters and it did not have a care in the world. Facinating to watch.

I did contemplate putting a small fly across its nose and then thought better of the ensuing mess that would happen!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #72 on: 13/09/2013 at 12:22 »
Its been rather busy last couple of weeks, but i have managed to squeeze in a couple of trips down the estuary.
With not much happening on the river it seems the best place to go.

Nice surroundings too.

Had quite a bit of fun with a few very fresh Finnock, very aggresive and covered in aliens.

Horrible little buggers

A first for me was Catching a Shoe on the fly, it was beautifully encrusted with very pretty mussels.

After quite a struggle i landed it and as i was unhooking it, out jumped a Butterfish :shock Not sure if this counts as a fly caught butterfish, could be a record if it did :z7 Still quite a good laugh was had by all.

At long last i did manage a couple of proper big spotties around the 2 1/2-3lb mark , they were on the turn colour wise despite all the sea lice and the fact they were still in the salty water.

Lots of fun and well worth a cast or two. :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #73 on: 13/09/2013 at 12:30 »
Excellent stuff Sandy and some cracking photos, I'm not sure if I've seen a Butterfish before :z16

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #74 on: 13/09/2013 at 13:02 »
A couple of bonnie Sea Troot Sandy  :z16

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com