Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

troutist

Re: River Ythan 2013
« Reply #45 on: 21/04/2013 at 15:25 »
Once the rain Stopped today, i escaped while Tea was being cooked.

A fairly good solid hatch of LDO's coming from From at least 4pm (probably a good bit earlier too :z16) up until 5:45pm.

So fished down the beat with a small alexandria just for a change, had a couple of small yellowfin, but no finnock. Spotted one fish rise a couple of times.

So on the way back up i changed to an olive emerger and had a few chucks here and there to no avail, so i went back to the riser and watched for a while to spot his station, Didn't look too big but it was the first rising trout of the year i've seen on the river.

A couple of casts and he couldn't resist

No monster, about 9" but the first Dry caught fish from the Ythan for me for the year :z18

The water is a little tinged due to the rain, but still pretty clear and the same level. Might have a go further up tomorrow :z16

Sandy

Nice rod!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #46 on: 25/04/2013 at 20:05 »
Some small brownies this afternoon, while messing about with some lines.

Water is Low and very clear, so i went off to explore some other bits :z16

Nothing doing anywhere, but i did get a take and managed to catch possibly the smallest fish i have ever hooked, needless to say it was foul hooked :oops but i just couldn't quite get over the size of it... amazing.... :z14

Sandy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #47 on: 25/04/2013 at 20:33 »

Nothing doing anywhere, but i did get a take and managed to catch possibly the smallest fish i have ever hooked, needless to say it was foul hooked :oops but i just couldn't quite get over the size of it... amazing.... :z14

Cool pic Sandy  :cool:

You should tie some of them, I bet you'd take sea trout on them.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Cameron

« Reply #48 on: 26/04/2013 at 07:52 »
Nice one - little flattie? Flounder??
I occasionally scare one from the sandy shallows surprisingly far from the sea on the Don.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #49 on: 26/04/2013 at 08:50 »
Nice one - little flattie? Flounder??
I occasionally scare one from the sandy shallows surprisingly far from the sea on the Don.

They have been seen working there way over weirs. Amazing fish really, and highly predatory.

Perhaps we should have a Flattie Fly Fishing event at the mouth of the Don ;)

Duncan McRae

« Reply #50 on: 26/04/2013 at 10:19 »
I've witnessed a few of the mature version being caught late season by Salmon Anglers in the Ythanbank area and i'm told that they are caught as far up river as Fyvie.
Does anyone know why they would run the river?

Duncan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #51 on: 26/04/2013 at 16:40 »
LDO hatch started at 1pm today and was a good solid hatch right through till 3 :z16
Lots of fish rising, nothing any size but lots of them, so i had some fun with a good heap of brownies from 6"-9" all on an experimental fly i was playing with.
So it works too.

FYI tying some waterhen bloa's the other night i had a load of hackle stalks left over with some feather fibres on them, wanting to use them i made up some emergers with a Waterhen bloa body, the waterhen feathers as a wee rolled wing and a Spun Blue dun CDC feather for a hackle. So its effectively a CDC Bloa.
The trout liked it :z16

Once the rising stopped i did a quick change to a size 14 silver stoat and spent 3/4hr swinging it downstream, a couple of finnock and some more brownies :z16
One of the finnock had been through the wars by the look of it, i'm guessing a cormorant or heron (beak type mark just in front of dorsal fin), still he was hungry and sped of fast enough once released :z16

Might try agin later to see if any of their bigger brothers are in the river yet :z18

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #52 on: 26/04/2013 at 16:47 »
Great photos Sandy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #53 on: 05/05/2013 at 21:42 »
Fished the  Braes of Minnonie on Friday, It was bloody Baltic  :z6 Did manage one fish on a black snatcher, not a monster but it was good to be out on the river all the same.

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #54 on: 05/05/2013 at 21:55 »
Nice trout Jim  :z16

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #55 on: 05/05/2013 at 22:59 »
Fished the  Braes of Minnonie on Friday, It was bloody Baltic  :z6 Did manage one fish on a black snatcher, not a monster but it was good to be out on the river all the same.

Jim

Hi Jim
You're right it's not a monster. It's a trout! Baa dum tish :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #56 on: 14/05/2013 at 16:48 »
Spent a pleasant few hours on the river this afternoon, swinging a size 12 black shrimp on the switch rod.
Most enjoyable. Nothing requiring the net but lots of hungry Parr and small trout up to about 9" The water is running at a nice level and is nice and clear with just a touch of colour :z16

Greedy buggers

About 2.30 a steady hatch started and lasted about an hour and a half. I saw a few LDO's but not many...
However the main hatch was these guys

At last some Olive Uprights on the water, this is what the Ythan fish were after.
About time i saw some uprights i was starting to wonder if the hatch would happen, so there is still some mileage in afternoons for those who can get out.
if they are hatching on the Ythan then they will be coming off the Don too :z16

Might wander down again later with the switch to see if there are any tourists milling around in the dusk :z18

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #57 on: 14/05/2013 at 16:50 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #58 on: 14/05/2013 at 19:45 »
They are a bonny flea

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #59 on: 15/05/2013 at 12:40 »
Does anyone know why they would run the river?

Food and temperature. They are really a brackish water fish, but they will swap between sea and river quite readily.

Winter time they tend to drop out of the rivers/estuaries and head to sea where they can find constant temperatures to spawn. Come spring time the rivers warm and the flatties start to move into the estuaries to feed up post spawn.

They are highly predatory and will move river to feed on the fry of other fish. If access is realatively easy, they will move many miles upstream although they do get over weirs and the like.

You can pick them up on sandeel and shrimp patterns for a bit of fun. There is a bit of a craze sweeping the sea angling lot called LRF (Light Rock Fishing) where small Blennies, Gobies and the like are caught on 5-7 foot rods and tiny lures. Some of the guys are now using 2 and 3 weight fly rods to present flies to these fish, and are catching flatties by the bucket load.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com