Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Re: River Ythan 2013
« Reply #30 on: 15/04/2013 at 19:17 »
Great stuff Sandy  :z16 nice to see somthing coming up the water, remember to let some past for me  :wink
Will have to try and get out hopefully the the wind will die down a bit most of my beat is open so not much shelter.

Dave

Loxiafan

« Reply #31 on: 15/04/2013 at 19:30 »
Great stuff dude, cracking Finnock !  :z16

Watching the continued stable level there I was gonna head to the Ythan today for trout and give you a shout but didn't fancy waving a three weight in that wind !

Lindsay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #32 on: 15/04/2013 at 19:43 »
Aye well done Sandy :z16 it's going to be interesting to see what you get out of that stretch during the season. From what I'm hearing the snow melt situation is in full swing and there's a hell of a lot of snow to melt...

Iain Goolager

« Reply #33 on: 15/04/2013 at 21:39 »
Excellent  :z16

When I heard the wind howling last night I felt sorry for anyone taking some time off to cast a fly today, glad that the Ythan is in good nick and that you had a very rewarding afternoon.

Quality fish.

Did you hurt your thumb gardening?  :X2

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #34 on: 15/04/2013 at 21:43 »
Did you hurt your thumb gardening?  :X2

:z4  :z4  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #35 on: 15/04/2013 at 22:54 »
Nice fish Sandy and I'm really pleased that you like the Switch line! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #36 on: 16/04/2013 at 10:08 »
The wee doubles are all de-barbed as are all my flies whatever i fish for.

Here is a question for you...why use doubles if you are fishing catch and release, or indeed, why use doubles at all for Finnock, which are generally small fish?

Just curious as even I have doubles tied up for them, but I don't know why!!! Tradition?

Having said that, last year with Mr C I was getting all mine on single hook sandeel patterns!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #37 on: 16/04/2013 at 19:56 »
Its a good question Rob.

If you can find me a nice strong 12  or 14 single hook about a B175 in Silver or Gold, that sits level in the water without twisting due to the hairwing, then i'm up to give them a go. As it is the flies were tied for Salmon and sea-trout in low-water not really for finnock, but the double thing, for me is to do with the way the fly sits in the water, it also gives it a bit of weight and i'm using the colour of the hooks as the body :z16 I've got some nice single hook sandeels for the river too :wink

Anyway despite the Wind tonight i went for another blast, this time i was trying to catch some finnock, now i know they are there, so i took the 9ft 4wt, with a GT90 and a tapered 4x leader, with some size 14 silver stoats, medicenes and Black grouse.
Damn good fun i had about half a dozen Finnock, several yellow fin and some brownies, nothing of any note but good fun on the 4wt, especially the finnock, biggest was probably pushing the pound mark. Flies didn't seem to matter what the pattern was as long as it had a wee bit of depth the fish would hit it. I missed loads.

Turning out to be a better week than i thought it would be :z3

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #38 on: 16/04/2013 at 19:59 »
Great stuff Sandy you're doing well with the current weather wiping everywhere else out.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #39 on: 16/04/2013 at 20:16 »
Amazing!  :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #40 on: 17/04/2013 at 17:56 »
Once the rain Stopped today, i escaped while Tea was being cooked.

A fairly good solid hatch of LDO's coming from From at least 4pm (probably a good bit earlier too :z16) up until 5:45pm.

So fished down the beat with a small alexandria just for a change, had a couple of small yellowfin, but no finnock. Spotted one fish rise a couple of times.

So on the way back up i changed to an olive emerger and had a few chucks here and there to no avail, so i went back to the riser and watched for a while to spot his station, Didn't look too big but it was the first rising trout of the year i've seen on the river.

A couple of casts and he couldn't resist

No monster, about 9" but the first Dry caught fish from the Ythan for me for the year :z18

The water is a little tinged due to the rain, but still pretty clear and the same level. Might have a go further up tomorrow :z16

Sandy

Loxiafan

« Reply #41 on: 17/04/2013 at 21:33 »
Excellanto !  :z16  Any caught fish on the dry is to be celebrated   :z14

I have been pondering things trouty on the Ythan given the fluctuating levels on the Don. I bet there are some nice fish in there, I'm going to have to visit Methlick and nudge the "mafia" aside  :z4

L

Ben Dixon

« Reply #42 on: 17/04/2013 at 21:35 »
Good shit Sandy :z16

Burnett

« Reply #43 on: 17/04/2013 at 22:17 »
Nice looking fish

Allan Liddle

« Reply #44 on: 18/04/2013 at 08:55 »
You've got a wee gem of a water there Sandy.
Troot on the dry, can't get better than that.  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com