Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

River Ythan 2013
« on: 26/02/2013 at 13:15 »
Hi folks :z16

Thought we should also have a thread for forum members to post about their days on the Ythan :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Ythan 2013
« Reply #1 on: 26/02/2013 at 19:06 »
Cool

I've been on my bit 3 times now (incl. yesterday and today, water is looking fine :z16) and no sign of a Kelt or a finnock. There are finnock coming off at Ardlethen but probably on the worm, and i'm happy to keep trying the fly. They have to swim past my house to get to Ardlethen so i should at least have a chance.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 05/03/2013 at 18:40 »
Try some wee pearly black spiders Sandy and Peter Ross :wink

Cheers
Mike

Dave Mundie

« Reply #3 on: 05/03/2013 at 18:41 »
I was out on Sat water was up but running fairly clear didn't touch or see anything though.
Was more concentrating on my casting after my lessons with Ben.

Hope to be out this Sat again.

Dave

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 05/03/2013 at 19:08 »
Looking forward to your Ythan contributions Dave. :z16

Liked the photo's from your day out, oh that's right you didn't take any... Tut tut

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 05/03/2013 at 19:10 »
That meant to be a hint  :roll

Heres my bittie , Taken last wednesday afternoon

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 05/03/2013 at 19:18 »
Sandy,
Just a hint of a hint yes.  :X2

Iain

Dave Mundie

« Reply #7 on: 05/03/2013 at 19:29 »
Would have taken a photo but can't find my camera anywhere  :mad I think I must have lost it on a bank somewhere  :cry
Might try with my phone but prob wont be up to your standard.

Dave

bblnb56

« Reply #8 on: 06/03/2013 at 15:09 »
Been walking down at Newburgh beach a few times lately, still hundreds of seals, not much chance of many fish getting past that lot on their way into the river. :mad

Loxiafan

« Reply #9 on: 06/03/2013 at 16:20 »
Been walking down at Newburgh beach a few times lately, still hundreds of seals, not much chance of many fish getting past that lot on their way into the river. :mad

Whyzat ? Natural predators have low impact on stocks, certainly sustainable as they will self regulate. Many of the seals are only resting in the Estuary not feeding there constantly. Some of the numbers I am seeing reported are laughable quite frankly, just typical scaremongering. However, the netting station that will soon be operating in the Estuary will take thousands of sea trout and salmon easily, in addition to those taken by natural predators. Know your enemy and all that.  :roll

Lindsay

Duncan McRae

« Reply #10 on: 07/03/2013 at 13:34 »
Garry

I agree with you that there are hundreds of seals around Newburgh beach and although i'm sure they will take a salmon or sea trout,i have never witnessed this nor caught a seal marked fish in the estuary.

What concerns me more is how they manage to get past the hordes of fishers at Ardlethen come September.
I personally think that this small river must be suffering badly from the huge Angling pressure on this beat with very few fish getting through unhooked.

Lindsay

The netting station news has left me shocked!

Duncan

Loxiafan

« Reply #11 on: 07/03/2013 at 14:06 »
Yes Duncan, found out about it on ADAA Forum. I am afraid the Scottish Numpty Party are not just satisfied about pushing Fish Farming beyond a sensible (and sustainable re wild stocks) remit, they seem to be pandering to the netsmen now as well ! Now, they could argue, that they too have a right to target wild stocks and when anglers start whingeing about predators, commercial fisheries etc takin "oor fush" we just sound selfish. If anglers feel strongly they should not support an Estate that runs a sport fishery as well as leasing netting rights to a commercial organisation. Vote with your feet, or if you fish there you have no grounds for complaint. Perhaps the returns from angling are down and the estate is leasing the commercial netting to make up the shortfall ? If so it is a pity that an angling syndicate or Association couldn't have been approached and leased it instead - I can think of one locally that I am sure would have been very welcomed by it's members ! If they really are just reaping the bounty of both then they are irresponsible and greedy, in my opinion. Talk about a conflict of interests. But then is it not the same with Johnston's on the North Esk ?

Now, I am not anti-fish farming per se, but if we have so much of it then why do we have to net already pressured wild stocks which are precious in terms of tourist angling as well as local recreational angling ? Has anyone surveyed to determine whether the Foveran engine is sustainable re the existing stocks ? I personally find it hard to read most of the angling press at the moment whether it is Bruce Sandison's becoming-boring-very-fast crusade against the Salmon Farming Industry or Trout Fisherman with it's "let's nuke the Cormorants" agenda as, we anglers, just sound like Victorian 'Sportsmen' eg. kill anything with hooked claw or beak or stop anything that conflicts with our own particular interests. Truth is all things have to exist together, but I agree that natural predators coupled with a netting engine could tip the balance against all interests actually, but primarily it is the fish that will suffer. The fact that anglers are saying "oh well, at least the netsmen will kill off the seals" is really worrying and is totally missing the point. If they did, the netsmen would just catch more of the fish in the estuary ! A Seal has to work for it's dinner, a net just sits there.

Maybe one of the Ythan Board will come on and enlighten us further, particulary with what the quota is for the two engines that have been leased. Truth is we don't know much about this venture, it may not be as bad as we think ot it might be terrible.

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #12 on: 07/03/2013 at 16:04 »
Duncan

What about this one? This was caught in the Estuary last August, I thought it looked like seal damage, but perhaps there is another cause. :z8

It went back, so i never really though much more of it.
But you raise an interesting point.

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #13 on: 07/03/2013 at 16:49 »
Lindsay

I do not believe in wholsale slaughter of wildlife either, but as the apex predators I beleive its up to us to keep things in balance. I do not agree with your opinion that nature will self regulate, sometimes but not always, rabbits in australia , Cane Toads to name a few.

We cull upwards of 55,000 to 60,000 Red Deer per annum, Foxes, Crows, Badgers, Roe Deer to save tree's. some people also shoot birds and  annimals for enjoyment (as I did many years ago) I do not belive we can be to precious about this.

Faskally, St Andrews and Aberdeen Uni did reasearch into the effect of seals on Salmon stock, one of their conclusion was by removing one seal from the Moriston it would increase Salmon stock by 17%   

:z18

Jim         

Loxiafan

« Reply #14 on: 07/03/2013 at 21:03 »
I do not believe in wholsale slaughter of wildlife either, but as the apex predators I beleive its up to us to keep things in balance. I do not agree with your opinion that nature will self regulate, sometimes but not always, rabbits in australia , Cane Toads to name a few.

Cane Toads and rabbits = introduced species, non native so the balance is disrupted. No problem with Wildlife management when it is justified, if you read my post I allude to this. I don't think of myself as an "apex predator" though, interesting you do.

We cull upwards of 55,000 to 60,000 Red Deer per annum, Foxes, Crows, Badgers, Roe Deer to save tree's. some people also shoot birds and  annimals for enjoyment (as I did many years ago) I do not belive we can be to precious about this.
I am not precious. I am not a 'tree-hugger' either FTR. I shot game also as a youth, in fact was a crack shot with rifle and shotgun. All Deer are shot to save trees btw, and IMO not nearly enough as natural regeneration in Deeside for example is pathetic ! See, no dogma on my part :z7

Faskally, St Andrews and Aberdeen Uni did reasearch into the effect of seals on Salmon stock, one of their conclusion was by removing one seal from the Moriston it would increase Salmon stock by 17% 

I find that staggeringly difficult to believe eg, the Salmon population doubles if we shoot 6 Seals ?  Please post the actual extracts, charts etc or point me to that particular research.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com