Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: River Deveron 2013
« Reply #75 on: 22/05/2013 at 19:00 »
Aye this weather is damnable.

Pity about the fishing but what can you do?

Iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #76 on: 22/05/2013 at 20:54 »
Pity about the fishing but what can you do?

I could have stayed at home and hoovered and cleaned up the house.
I didn't. Still haven't.

Was a good recon trip if nothing else.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #77 on: 22/05/2013 at 21:48 »
To be fair you'd have struggled whatever beat you were on today, pity the weather was against you but hope you enjoyed it all the same.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #78 on: 04/06/2013 at 14:16 »
Excellent again yesterday with plenty fish on the dries (especially in the early cloud cover) before switching to the French and back to dries again in the fast water.

Best of the bunch was around the pound and quarter mark (two or three of these) and loads just below that, all good news for the river with a crackin mix of year classes.

Blue Winged Olive top fly (wee flurries well represented with a s16 BWO DHE) and a good amount of Yellow May's, a sparse amout of Grannom and Olive Uprights, one or two Black Gnats all made for a variety of troot food.

Not sure when i'll get back, but river about as low as i've seen it which opens up all the wee pocket stuff which id great, but restricts 'Rod Bender' chances and certainly curtails fly hatches.  Not that you should mind with quality sport such as i've just had on offer.

Pics to follow (i know i say that all the time, but i mean it this time, maybe  :wink :z7)

Allan L

Iain Goolager

« Reply #79 on: 04/06/2013 at 17:55 »
Nice one Allan L  :X1

Pity about the RB's and NF's but good news on the amount of nF's ( small n for 'nice' capital N for 'Notable')

Iain

Allan Liddle

« Reply #80 on: 07/06/2013 at 09:35 »
Pics from recent visits as promised.

Future Rod Benders

Run Away

Taking Olives for breakfast

Result

Short fast runs were better in the sunshine

One from the white water

Good fish sometimes like the sunshine too (2lb 12oz from a couple weeks ago)

Safely Back to get the desired extra ounces to Rod Bender status

Mike Barrio

« Reply #81 on: 07/06/2013 at 10:33 »
Great photos Allan ..... excellent stuff :z16

Cheers
Mike

Kevin Moss

« Reply #82 on: 13/06/2013 at 09:36 »
Had a pleasing excursion on the Deveron,wish it had been a little warmer and not so breezy.At times it was hard to know which way the river was flowing with the waves coming up it.
That aside it was good to be on there and the water being low and clear we decided to fish all the small pockets rather than the deeper pools.

Some great water and with fishing partner Kevin Dawson,a treat for him,we had some fish,nothing big apart from one which was lost as it knew the river well,but its not about the size but the fishing itself on great surroundings and company.

my first

My last one which was a bar of silver.
Accompanied by my best and loyal friends as always who enjoyed the day also.
A great water and a great day was had by all and will be back soon.A little rain would help and the water and pools will be full of salmon and sea trout if that's your fishing,Im happy with a few browns.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #83 on: 13/06/2013 at 14:19 »
Recognise that bit Kevin, say hello to Sean for me next time  :wink

Surpressed fly hatches and fish not keen to feed hard at the moment, bit of rain required.

Had a wee late evening foray close by this bit on Sat and although getting numbers wasn't a problem, getting better fish was, although did manage a couple of good troots around the pound 3 mark which is still ok.  Pocket or faster water was best and poor hatches so searching all the time with dries or French stuff.

But...........did spot a BIG fish move in front of me late on (about 11.00pm) as it rolled sub-surface and i spotted the flash.  Thought it could be abig troot after the wee stuff so cast what i had on at the time at it (two Dirty Dusters) pulled them hard soon as the touched down and ran them just sub-surface past the nose of the fish only for it to follow them right to my feet.  Big salmon about 12-15lb mark which swam away again at leisure towards it's lie again.  disapointed it wasn't a 'Proper Fish' i cast at it again and same result although it's dosal was showing this time.
However i had both my Lab's with me and the bigger one (big stupid chocolate lab) likes to stand beside me when fishing, in the water and out and likes to act the 'I could be a retriver if you let me you know'

Result was he spotted the fish coming and decided to help out by pouncing on it, water erupted, dog ended up leaping back onto the bank and fish leaping out the water before haring off.  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4
No harm done as dog's got debarbed paws and only practices C&R anyway (catch and releash).
No i didn't try the Collie Dog (get yer puns in early).
Would've been interesting if i had hooked it, 3lb nylon, size 14 flees and #5 rod / line, probably would still be there playing it out now  :z4 :z4

Anyway wee bit of excitement and a belly laugh to see off what was until then quite an ordinary night on the river.

Cheers

Allan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com