Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Re: River Deveron 2013
« Reply #60 on: 15/04/2013 at 00:07 »
Thanks guys, always a good feeling when it all comes together.  :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #61 on: 22/04/2013 at 09:35 »
Bit further upstream this Sat and late getting there (coaching kids football which is good but a pain in the erchie at the same time).
Hatch in full swing when we arrived (Broontroot from the Scottish Anglers site was with me for this one) with MB's being mopped up and plenty rising troots, although none seemed to be of Rod bender proportions.

First three fish attempted and three misses (bad angling  :oops) i blame the rush to get onto them before the hatch died away.  :wink
Graham wasn't doing much better (at least it wasn't just me  :z4) and missed / lost a few before finally securing his first river troot of the season (sprightly 3/4 pounder) chuffed and big smiles all round.

Managed a couple after settling down a wee bit and taking the required time best about pound and a half, the other a nice pounder  :z16
Hatch died quickly and fish were not too keen to show much after that so we bailed out about half four.

Fish seem to be moving more widespread (although still not it the faster water) and more of them, also speaking to other anglers out they were on the top pretty early so looks like i'll need to get there sharper next time.

So no trophies to report but another cracking couple of hours and great fun, troots were still pretty good anyway.  :z16

keith talbot

« Reply #62 on: 01/05/2013 at 18:04 »
Hi Guys,

Im heading to the Deveron next wednesday to try for a few brownies, on teh Huntly anglers stretch from wed -fri then forglen on sat. any tips or pointers on particular areas to try, or anyone any experience in these stretches?

Any help much appreciated.

Keith

Allan Liddle

« Reply #63 on: 03/05/2013 at 13:30 »
Huntly water good Keith but better if you stay away from the town section and look towards upstream.  Park at the 'Tesco' car park (you'll nkow where i mean when you see it, river comes right down to the road) and work upstream from there.  Lots of very good water, you'll know it when you see it.  Good hatches at the moment to i'd stick with the dries and prospect for fish.

Deer hair Emerger 12-14, olive Klink 12-16, F Flies, Greenwell Parachute, Dirty Duster, and a couple of March Brown dries all you need at the moment.  Spiders and a few small weighted nymphs to back this up.
Forglen a wee bit different as river a bit bigger here (although still not a big water to be fair).  Again prospect with dries, area around the hut pretty good.

Hope you're returning any trophy trout, these fish are too valuable to be caught only once.

keith talbot

« Reply #64 on: 05/05/2013 at 21:15 »
Thank you very much for the reply, i shall post to let you know how i get on. absolutely couldnt agree more, far rather these special fish live to fight another day.

Keith

Allan Liddle

« Reply #65 on: 09/05/2013 at 09:05 »
Struggled on the Deveron Mon / Tues this week despite the reports of big big hatches from tail end of week previous, fly life was very poor.  Fish were hard to come by as a result with very little to report on that front.
Feel a bit bad as i had Jedi and another mate out on Monday and fish didn't respond, however great fun had by all and we all caught, just no trophies as hoped.

Tuesday on a lower beat and again fish were difficult.  Well they were as the day progressed as i hit the water 9.30 and fish were on, or at least the smaller ones were, with a fiew up to a pound keen on the DHE.  Eventually found a better fish which took the DHE first chuck and weighed in at 2lb 8oz which made the day a bit better (not that it was bad in the first place  :z4)  Shows how greedy we get for trophies when you finish with over a dozen fish, one a good Noteable Fish (NF), some decent surface sport, suntan and relaxing day but you're still disapointed.  :X1 :z4 :z4

Roll on next time. 

PS photies to follow as per usual once i can be arsed taking them off the camera.  :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #66 on: 09/05/2013 at 14:54 »
Trophies, Rod Benders and now NF  :z4 :z4

Pity about the flylife but still a decent return.

Looking forward to the photo's

Iain

Allan Liddle

« Reply #67 on: 10/05/2013 at 15:49 »
Dread the time it's a wee letter nf, that means 'nae fish'  :z4 :z4

keith talbot

« Reply #68 on: 13/05/2013 at 13:24 »

I thought I'd let you know how i got on with the Deveron. It was a challenging few days, the weather was not the kindest and most of the time there was a cold wind that was killing off any fly life. The first 3 days on the Huntly Association water I managaed to catch double figures of trout each day though most were just parr! All to searching with a small dry fly, the occasional fish that was seen rising was invariably caught though there were no real rising trout to speak of. I worked upstream from the tesco's bridge and covered just about all of the deveron that HAA offer, though didnt work the Bogie.

The last day i was at Forglen, the Deveron is a very different river here. There seemed to be a few more flies hatching, mostly olives. I caught steadily throughout the day and the average size was better probably around 8 oz, then at around 4pm a good rise started in one pool and i had 7 fish in 20 mins with four around the 3/4lb - 1lb mark. It was a difficult little pool to fish as the trout were rising in a central fast current with a back eddy between me adn them so drag set in quickly. No sign of anything bigger and then the rise was all over. So an enjoyable few days, I will definitely try again not sure if it was my inexperience on this river or the weather that meant i didnt see any evidence of anything larger.
Thank you all for your help.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #69 on: 19/05/2013 at 12:59 »
Excellent yesterday good hatches of Blue Wings and a smattering of LDO's increasing as day progressed until reaching epic proportions which was still going (although dying down a good bit) when i left. Normally i'd have stuck it out 'till the bitter end but was well warned and threatened a fishing ban (fate worse than death  :z4) if i was late home as family Liddle were heading out fur tea.  :shock Luckily i wasn't that late and sneaked in a few wee 'last casts'.  :z4

Fish mostly in the fast water and keen to hit the dries, best one nudging 2lb 1oz, several pound plus and loads 6-12 oz.
Soaked but happy angler with two soaked but very happy labradors headed home for a well earned bottle of beer, swift shower and mad dash to the pub.  :z16

Size 12 Olive DHE best fly, and yes the two dry set up worked very well once more  :z4 :z16 :z16

Stealthy Wading

Feeding Hard

Result

Iain Goolager

« Reply #70 on: 20/05/2013 at 11:21 »
Nice one Allan.  :z16

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #71 on: 20/05/2013 at 13:15 »
Great pics Allan .... thanks for sharing :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #72 on: 20/05/2013 at 14:17 »
Cracking pictures Alan :z18

Sandy

Allan Liddle

« Reply #73 on: 20/05/2013 at 16:26 »
Thanks Guys  :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #74 on: 22/05/2013 at 18:09 »
had a daunder up the upper Deveron today. Who ordered the gale force winds? And the hailstones. I mean, really, end of May, and freezin' my hands off in the hail? 

Fishing was really a non event today, the wind was brutal, very cold and strong, and straight downstream for most of the morning/afternoon. Ah well, one wee guy of about half a pound saved the day from a total blank. Think it would have been an interesting beat to fish - little pools with pockets and probably nice holding lies to cover - BUt today was not the day for fishing.

And a decent smattering of upwing beasties - when they hatched the shot off downstream and upwards in the wind at some click - a good hatch that might have brought a lot of fishes up on a calmer day. curses!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com