Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: River Deveron 2013
« Reply #30 on: 31/03/2013 at 15:34 »

French Nymphing is for poofters - my 8 " braided sighter was causing a helicopter hinge and casting was awful. We both switched to conventional nymph technique independently and at the same time ! Say's it all really. Not sure I can be arsed with all this. Fad. A Tenkara setup probably would have been more effective (and more fun !).

In the cold light of day should perhaps add the caveat that it might be good in clear, 2 ft water to spooky fish ( so not in Scotland then)  :wink Clearly it works for some I suppose.

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #31 on: 31/03/2013 at 21:32 »
Nah! You're spot on Lindzer, it is for pooves.  As is fishing the dry with 10' 3wt streamflexes.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #32 on: 31/03/2013 at 22:51 »
Nah! You're spot on Lindzer, it is for pooves.  As is fishing the dry with 10' 3wt streamflexes.

:z4 Yep, got a real man's rod a Helios 104 primed for 2moro !

Linz

Allan Liddle

« Reply #33 on: 03/04/2013 at 13:50 »
Any further movement on the Deveron troot chasing guys?  This settled weather's got the uprights on the go (as viewed when i passed on way to work on Monday) so i assume troots won't be too far behind (at last).  Possibly making 2013 debut appearance on Sat, if so all will be revealed.  :z16

Loxiafan

« Reply #34 on: 03/04/2013 at 14:09 »
Any further movement on the Deveron troot chasing guys?  This settled weather's got the uprights on the go (as viewed when i passed on way to work on Monday) so i assume troots won't be too far behind (at last).  Possibly making 2013 debut appearance on Sat, if so all will be revealed.  :z16

Good to hear about upwings Allan. We had a smittering of LDO's on Saturday past on a middle beat, trout most certainly interested ! Looks like there might be a few Aiberdeiners on the Deveron on Saturday  :wink

Keep us posted !

Lindsay

Allan Liddle

« Reply #35 on: 04/04/2013 at 21:08 »
Sounds good, pm me what beat might pop in by or at least know where to avoid  :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #36 on: 06/04/2013 at 22:28 »
Armed with a shed load of DHE's, MB Spiders and the like, Lindzer and I fished some new bits of the Deveron.

When I arrived confidence was running high and the sun threw its warmth on us and the surroundings, heightened expectations, so much so that we mused and chatted for an age about all things fish and whether it was indeed worth bothering with wearing a jacket on such a glorious day.

Deciding on fishing the lower end of the beat we strolled leisurely downriver stopping only to mark likely ambush points for unsuspecting rod benders and to tip our hats to the local wildlife.

Reaching the lower pool we planned to nymph away the first hour or so until hopefully the first signs of fly life might begin. Half an hour in without a touch and the familiar airish downstream breeze appeared.

Shortly after, we agreed to switch to dries and wander the banks in search of showing fish.

There were midge and small stones around but eventually the upwings arrived, firstly the LDO's and eventually the MB's.

These were in evidence for quite a while, sometimes only a sprinkling sometimes in respectable numbers. One thing was constant though and that was the realisation that the cold downstream wind was making things unpleasant and that the showing fish were not taking duns.

We persevered with surface flies albeit emergers and cripples and did manage a couple of small 1/2lb trout. Lindz moved upstream but I stayed put as I had seen a fish about 1 1/4lb show a few times on the same line. Twice I was going to head off upstream but then he would show again and I stayed put. The downstream wind forced me to decide that a decent presentation was best achieved casting from an upstream position dropping the fly as close to his nose as possible. I moved into position and waited for his rise. When it came I was daydreaming but fortunately he rose again fairly quickly so I was ready for him this time, out went the fly up he came and hit it. Possibly I lifted too soon but I pricked him and seen his flank as he waved goodbye, nice fish (not for waving) possibly may have pushed 2lb.  :X1  I went to see how Lindz was getting on.

He had been victim to the same hardships and was at the car wisely warming the cockles & filling his belly.

We wandered upstream with few if any flies showing and pretty much fell foul of the weather. With the threat of heavier rain very real we decided to have one more bash downstream on a slow glide that can produce a rising fish when everywhere else is dead.

There were some small fish showing here and there now and again but the day was now bitter and although there was only the odd spit of rain a glimpse at the hills told is there was either heavy rain or snow on the way.

Going through the motions I was grateful to a very lively Sea-Trout kelt for getting the warmth up.

Then the snow came and we left.

It wasn't a bad day, not sure that it was good though  :roll

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #37 on: 06/04/2013 at 22:31 »
Good stuff Iain :z16

The super macro on that camera is rather cool :z12

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #38 on: 06/04/2013 at 22:38 »
Great stuff Iain :z16

Noel Kelly

« Reply #39 on: 06/04/2013 at 22:53 »
Nice Iain  :z16

Michael Buchan

« Reply #40 on: 06/04/2013 at 22:55 »
Good stuff Iain  :z16 unlucky on the missed fish.

I was out also i would probably guess a bit upstream of where you guys were It was pretty chilly like you say. By the sound of it yous guys had a lot more fly life than me (again  :mad) i had a small hatch around 3 managed my first of the year on the dry around 1.75lb  :z16. Started the day off french nymphing and had a fish within 10 mins then blanked for an hour or so, still not convinced its great for search fishing had more luck with the klink and dink and spiders. Good day to be out.

First cast on the Don tomorrow here is hoping there are a few more rising.

PS is there a new way of posting photos on the forum? Tinypic no longer there

Iain Goolager

« Reply #41 on: 06/04/2013 at 23:04 »
Hi Michael,
Well done on the Dry, what fly did you use? (interested in whether it was a dun, emerger, ?)

Posting pic's - check out the thread Mike put up, it takes a minute to get used to it but it's good.

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5254.0

Good luck for tomorrow, I won't be out until next weekend but I'll be honest, if the weather is like today then I'm not too fussed.

Like the avatar

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #42 on: 06/04/2013 at 23:06 »
Hi Michael :z16

Yes ..... see http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5254.0 for adding photos :wink

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #43 on: 06/04/2013 at 23:37 »
Hi guys, guess i spotted you all on the various beats you were fishing, first one nymphing close to the hut directly above a junction pool?, the other two below a hut where the ghillie was battering the pool you guys should have been on.

Anyway managed a few hours on another beat i know and was surprised not to see any upwings until a little after 1.30 all LDO's and equally surprisingly no MB's.  In fact i didn't notice the flies, the troot gave it away as a nice nose popped up on the far bank from me catching my eye and quickening the pulse.  It was also welcome distraction from wandering, waiting and taking photos (as well as spying on fellow forum members from the vantage of the tree clad high bank opposite  :wink)  Wandering and waiting because i'd only picked up my box of dries in the rush to get out in the morning with the wet / river nymph box still lying on the tying bench back home, so at the point of targeting my first troot of the day i'd not even wet a line.  :oops

Anyway it was a thigh deep wade to reach the fish which took ages to show again but thankfully hit my olive DHE first chuck so 100% record so far, even better it hit the magical 60 oz on my scales, less 10 oz for the net meant it was a trophy 3lb 2oz, or it would have been for non purists if it didn't have a silver jacket on.

But not to be outdone the resident troots started showing well just after and a few to the popund mark quickly fell to the olive DHE charms before a wander to another slow glide further upstream revealed another good nose picking off olives regularly.  DHE second throw and whooohooo first propert trophy resident broon this time tipping the scales at three pound one ounce which made a mad dash home when i was trying to get a photo resulting in about the worst trophy troot shot i have.  :z4 :z4

One more approx 8oz troot on the way back to the car and as the rises had dried up it was stuff away and head for home about 4.15.

Pity i didn't catch up with the guys on the river in person, but glad to hear you all had a fish or two, good also to hear of rising fish on other beats despite the crappy weather.

Cheers

Allan

Michael Buchan

« Reply #44 on: 06/04/2013 at 23:46 »
Well done Allan  :z16 I would have been the one beside the junction

Iain it was a dun pattern sort of a JT Olive but with show shoe instead of CDC.

One of todays fish took a tungsten bead PTN Klink and Dink

For any trainspotters out there

Cheers for the photo help
Michael

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com