Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: River Deveron 2013
« Reply #15 on: 30/03/2013 at 19:36 »
Up to my eyes with stuff at the mo but here is a taster of the day.....................

Hopefully Lindzer will post a story.

Iain

danbruce

« Reply #16 on: 30/03/2013 at 19:42 »
Nice one guys, looks like a great day was had by the both of you.  :z16
Some great photography as usual Iain.

:z18
Dan

Jim Eddie

« Reply #17 on: 30/03/2013 at 19:55 »
Looks like you had a decent day guys  :z16

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 30/03/2013 at 19:59 »
Great stuff guys .... thanks for sharing! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Michael Buchan

« Reply #19 on: 30/03/2013 at 20:01 »
Nice one guys  :z16
I was out on the deveron today as well great to get back to some proper fishing. Was apparently one of Dryflee Alan's haunts was told he took 62 in a day there which was 61 more than me.  No fish seen moving all day and maybe saw 5 Duns all day did manage a 2lber which saved the blank.  Good day to be out roll on next weekend.

Michael

Iain Goolager

« Reply #20 on: 30/03/2013 at 20:37 »
Well done Michael  :z16

We had a constant trickle, and I mean trickle, of LDO's from about dinner time until I guess 3:30 ish

We fished nymphs and spiders early doors until things warmed up then wandered in search of fish for the rest of the day. Lindz was in his element as we had a few fish to target.
We had some Sea-Trout kelts to the DHE too.

All in all I though we did well on the dry considering the amount of showing fish. Even though I think we should have given the nymph more airtime but Big Lindz is not to be messed with.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #21 on: 30/03/2013 at 20:55 »
Awesome guys :z16

Allan Liddle

« Reply #22 on: 30/03/2013 at 21:18 »
Sooperb guys has me put to shame, will need to get the rods out and get on with it.  :z16
Good to see some movement happening at last.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #23 on: 30/03/2013 at 21:27 »
Great pictures Iain, looks like you had a fun day out amongst the troots. I was after the silver vermin as you called them on Friday but more of that when i get round to a Dee report later on.

Excellent report  :z16

Eddie.

Loxiafan

« Reply #24 on: 30/03/2013 at 23:23 »
Thanks to Iain for a great day on the Deveron, absolutely magic, and great pics too :z16 What a river, Allan you are one lucky dude with that on your door stop ! This particular beat had it all, riffles, pocket water, glides and even Don like 'canal' bits (that were just as productive  :wink ).

'Nice' ! :

I didn't manage to match Iain's superb nymphing skills and big troot but we both a had great fun on the dry with plenty of sub-pounders and a couple of good ones on, then off. I believe Iain may now also be a paid up disciple of Mr. Wyatt ?  :z7

Iain's masterclass on nymphing comes to fruition:

Lessons learned:

1) French Nymphing is for poofters - my 8 " braided sighter was causing a helicopter hinge and casting was awful. We both switched to conventional nymph technique independently and at the same time ! Say's it all really. Not sure I can be arsed with all this. Fad. A Tenkara setup probably would have been more effective (and more fun !).

2)  Don't do direct upstream nymphing ala Ollie Eds on the Deveron....in fact anywhere ! It is not the most productive method on wide-ish river - fine on a chalkstream. All I'll say is Iain has the correct technique nailed and spending 10 minutes on the bank watching him (whilst hypothermic) gave me much more useful things to think about with nymphing technique.

3) Floppy tipped Streamflex rods are crap at setting the hook for dries at any distance over 20 feet. I didn't convert nearly enough fish that hit my dry. We both were using 3 wt Streamflexes for dries and were both rueing leaving out luvely Orvis Helios and Access rods in the car.

4) The 'all in one' leader is not working for me. I will try Sandy's solution as that seemed logical ! A whole lotta hingeing going on today.

Cheers again Iain, magic day and a few wee bends in the rod to get things started !

Linz

Noel Kelly

« Reply #25 on: 31/03/2013 at 00:55 »
Nice one guys  :z16
I was out on the deveron today as well great to get back to some proper fishing. Was apparently one of Dryflee Alan's haunts was told he took 62 in a day there which was 61 more than me.  No fish seen moving all day and maybe saw 5 Duns all day did manage a 2lber which saved the blank.  Good day to be out roll on next weekend.

Michael

A 2lber is a great start Michael windy bottom  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 31/03/2013 at 00:58 »
Great photos Lindsay :z16

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #27 on: 31/03/2013 at 07:13 »
Nice report and Photo's lindsay  :z16

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #28 on: 31/03/2013 at 08:31 »
Ace stuff guys :z18

Sounds like a fairly normal early season day, although I can see there was quite a lot of hard work involved. Maybe the troots are sick of the weather too :z4

Here's hoping :z16

Great to see some fish as well as the flies. Good to put some of the ideas to the test as well, far more to be learned from experimenting, than newsing   :z16

Sandy

Iain Cameron

« Reply #29 on: 31/03/2013 at 09:14 »
excellent post chaps, fantastic to see some fishes on the dry too

i,

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com