Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

River Deveron 2013
« on: 26/02/2013 at 13:13 »
Hi folks :z16

Thought we should also have a thread for forum members to post about their days on the Deveron :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Allan Liddle

Re: River Deveron 2013
« Reply #1 on: 26/02/2013 at 20:04 »
Thanks Mike, i'll try my best to remember and post  :z16

Ploddy

« Reply #2 on: 27/02/2013 at 18:07 »
Fished the Deveron near to Turriff today. My companion landed one kelt and another couple were seen jumping about.

Davie P.

josh

« Reply #3 on: 01/03/2013 at 20:26 »
 :z16 Mike for having a deveron thread. I wrote last season saying there should be one so its good to see. well me and a mate were up at the manse pool on wednesday but was too bright and far too clear but still a nice day to be out,never seen any fish neither. So after a few hours we decided it just wasnt a good day so checked out some beats at rothimay and huntly which look really nice and were dying to try out once the trout begin.

Loxiafan

« Reply #4 on: 23/03/2013 at 14:32 »
Will be out on a mid-upper Deveron beat on Monday, looks like it is going to be very hard going ! Water levels are staying stable but strong winds coupled with -6 windchill does not bode well for hatches and a chance on the dry fly ! Looks like nymphing and/or spiders 'across and down' then !

One thing's for sure, it's gonna be cold !  :shock

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2013 at 18:12 »
Well.......................... :z8

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 26/03/2013 at 18:26 »
Indeed - rubs chin - not been much news.......  :z8

:cool:

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 26/03/2013 at 18:47 »
c'mon Lindz,

either you caught nowt or you were caught up in some debacle with the locals who thought that you had 'a purty mouth' ?!  :X2

Iain

danbruce

« Reply #8 on: 26/03/2013 at 19:39 »
Well since Lindsay hasn’t posted a report on how our day on the Deveron went I guess I will stick a post up about how my days fishing went.

We arrived at the beat around 0930 (beat located on the middle to upper of the river) the weather was pretty much how it had been for the last week or so, cold, dull and snowing, although not too heavy. I have to say the beat looked great, with a very comfortable fishing hut and great vehicular access for the full beat.

With the river running very cold but at a decent height I decided to start off fishing a weighted nymph and spider on a 10’ 3wt. I fished through some very inviting looking water hoping to hook and land a fish quickly to get the thought of a dreaded blank off my mind, you would think I would be used to blanking by now. Having thoroughly went through a few decent stretches of water without as much a nip at my flies, I decided at try a couple of nymphs on a short line upstream through some of the faster water.
As this is something I have never done before it took me a while to get into a rhythm. But once I got going I was fishing deep and covering the water well, once again no fish to show for it. :z8

Having well and truly frozen my nuts off in the cold water I decided to return up stream for a well earned drink and something to eat. With the time now after midday, the sun decided to put in a fleeting appearance, getting our hopes up for a brief afternoon hatch. So off went the nymphs and on went a single size 14 DHE. The plan for the afternoon was to walk up stream in the hope of finding some rising fish. Our hopes of finding rising fish and a hatch of some sort were soon dashed by the sun buggering of and the snow coming back on :cry
Undeterred I prospected with the DHE through some fantastic looking water but again nowt to show for my efforts. With the day having been and gone I decided to call it a day and pack up.

So one hard days fishing in freezing temperatures with no fish to show for it. Not all bad though as it was good to be back after the brownies, fishing new and unknown waters and fishing in good company.
I am sure Lindsay will be along with his report soon.

Next time I will really have to take my camera with me, sorry for the lack of photos.

Cheers :z18
Dan

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 26/03/2013 at 19:49 »
Thanks Dan  :z16

New season on a new water, sounded like fun even though the weather was against you.

Can't wait to get back out again myself.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #10 on: 26/03/2013 at 20:05 »
Great to be out again and always good fishing with Dan  :z16

On a beat between Huntly and Rothiemay  :wink Water gin clear, but I was concerned at lack of flow and depth through most of the beat with only a couple of likely bits that could hold a lunker or two.

I too started with upstream nymphing, fantastic water, pockets, could see the indicator, all looking good....except no fish, and I mean not even a sucidal 6 oz troot ! This was perturbing as I was fishing short and could see if the indicator moved. I systematically worked all the creases, seams, pockets and nada. Snow flurries were abounding constantly except at luchtime when some Stoneflies were active. Those were the only flies I saw, Dan had a couple of Duns on the water. Neither of us saw an actively rising fish.

Completely knackered and phuked off by nymphing I switched to the good old 'blind' dry with a size 12 DHE. Managed to rise a sucicidal troot in good streamy water with a great big rock  :wink but it missed the flee. It didn't rise again.

So, cold conditions, lack of water, lack of insects and lack of fish....of any size. Very little veggie stuff for Baetidae, probably good for MB's and Hepts, cased Caddis and obvioulsy needle fly type Stoneflies. Needs more water to bring the big boys upstream for a feed ??? Low water possibly makes fish susceptible to natural predation in years like this ??? Or.....I am crap. Likely the latter. But I like my new Orvis wading boots and Streamflex !

L

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 26/03/2013 at 20:25 »
Never Mind guys at least you braved the elements and got out  :z16

:z18

Jim

Loxiafan

« Reply #12 on: 26/03/2013 at 23:21 »
either you caught nowt or you were caught up in some debacle with the locals who thought that you had 'a purty mouth' ?!  :X2

That do ya mucker  :z7 wtf is a 'purty mouth'  ??? !

Always hard fishing a new beat and river especially in difficult conditions - you don't have 'local' knowledge and are going on raw instinct/intuition. The Don can be a fickle mistress but at least I know where there are fish holed up and that I am covering them ! This beat seemed barren to me (on this day) - upstream beadhead nymphs and downstream spiders = nothing, then there is no fish or they are on hunger strike !

L

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 27/03/2013 at 00:14 »
This beat seemed barren to me (on this day)
Possibly just due to this cold weather  :z8

wtf is a 'purty mouth'
Have you never seen 'Deliverance'?  :X1

5 days and counting.....................
Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #14 on: 27/03/2013 at 01:01 »
Possibly just due to this cold weather  :z8

Have you never seen 'Deliverance'?  :X1

5 days and counting.....................
Iain

Nah, lotta 'thin' water, nae food ( nae small fish for big boys to eat !). Last season two big brownies were caught on this beat...in high water.

Not seen Deliverance since we finished filming it ( I also play banjo) :wink

R you out Monday ? I will be at my usual haunt ! Think it will be just as hard as Monday past.

L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com