Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Re: River Dee 2013
« Reply #60 on: 07/08/2013 at 21:19 »
Fished the lower Dee this afternoon. Very low and the fish are still holding in the deep slack water. Still an enjoyable couple of hours in the fresh air. Quite a few mothers and ducklings cruising about too.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #61 on: 10/08/2013 at 12:03 »
Fished the lower Dee this afternoon. Very low and the fish are still holding in the deep slack water. Still an enjoyable couple of hours in the fresh air. Quite a few mothers and ducklings cruising about too.

Fished the Dee at Banchory yesterday. Echo what matt said above, really... Low, low water. One fish splashed about a couple of times, but couldn't be tempted/teased/tormented into taking.

Biblical downpour mid afternoon, during which I listened to Euan Soundmixer's voicemail complaining about the bright sunshine earlier (he was next beat downstream). How I laughed as water trickled into everywhere.

No fish, but again re-inforced how nice the switch rod (6wt) and barrio switch line combo is to use in low water. Enjoyble day clambering about, and very very grateful I'd taken a new wading stick along!

a quick pic or two
The 3 Rs - rod, reel, rock

a very rocky beat, with some substantial boulders, and many man made groynes for water to froth over

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #62 on: 10/08/2013 at 15:30 »
Iain,
pity the river is so low but it sounds like you are enjoying the switch rod.

P.S,

I will be arriving in North Uist on the 29th. I will give you a call when we get there.

Eddie. :z18

Iain Cameron

« Reply #63 on: 10/08/2013 at 17:02 »
Iain,
pity the river is so low but it sounds like you are enjoying the switch rod.

thoroughly enjoyed the day out, just great to be on a new stretch of water. Yes, the light spey rod/light double hander character of the switch rod/line combo is excellent for this time of year.

29th - excellent! I'll PM you my details/locations etc

cheers
iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #64 on: 10/08/2013 at 17:28 »
Ah yes, low water :cry
But, fishing is fishing and a good day was had below where Iain was, despite not catching a thing.
Invery had plenty of fish showing and a moved a lot of them to my flies but no takers. One of our party had six or seven "draws" but no solid connections. It was like trout coming short.
The whole beat had fish that were very splashy in the morning before the perfect storm moved in. It was like they could sense it coming, a theory that I have entertained for 25 years or so that salmon can sense pressure changes, but that might just be BS.  :z4
The lower half of the beat was exactly as I remembered it 17 years ago, which was when I fished it last. great wading, good flow, perfect fly water.  :cool: :z16

I didn't have a switch rod, I had a a 15' MacKenzie with a shooting head - possibly slightly over gunned  :shock, but bloody good fun. (thanks Ben, your a real gent) More practise required, but I had to keep reminding myself that other than a day on the Beauly in August last year, I hadn't used a double hander since I last fished Invery. I may have to do more of this salmon thing!

I fished on until dusk, moved a few more fish, and left a happy man. The storm was biblical and I was glad I had a really good jacket. It was in the car, half a mile away, but it is a great jacket. I huddled under the trees and didn't get a total soaking, but I left the rod below me just in case there was lightning. The overflow pipes that enter the beat from Banchory looked like dam overflows and were properly gushing out. As the rain eased I waded out and fished the outflows, but still no joy.

All in all, a fine day out and one that needs repeating. Off to check Ebay for salmon rods.

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #65 on: 11/09/2013 at 08:19 »
Managed a few hours after work on an ADAA beat and at bang on 6pm I had a fish on a Red Francies. Jolly good fun and very welcome in the extremely windy conditions.

ADAA ticket has been very kind this year.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #66 on: 11/09/2013 at 23:02 »
Well done Rob,
a pretty fish, those colours are truly remarkable..................oh, no photo's  :z8

c'mon Rob

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #67 on: 13/09/2013 at 08:48 »
Well done Rob,
a pretty fish, those colours are truly remarkable..................oh, no photo's  :z8

c'mon Rob

Iain

Photos on Facebook :)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #68 on: 13/09/2013 at 09:10 »
FACEBOOK!  :X1 Is that thon antisocial network thing where people tell you that they had sausages for supper and now have a rumbly tummy, OR where you can tell some 68 year old Canadian that you have just bought an 'S' Belt from Robert Raes' OR you can comment on how much of a rascal Nick Cotton is??

sorry but as long as I'm a fully payed up member of the human race I'll avoid such nonsense   :X2

post the picture Roberto  :z16

Ian Beale  :z7

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #69 on: 19/09/2013 at 08:49 »
Yesterday I had a short session of combat fishing, resulting in 3 salmon and a sea trout.

Salmon of 5, 7 and 12 pounds, one being sea liced and a 2 pound sea trout, again sea liced.

The 7 pounder took a size 11 Red Francis (Cock fish), the others all on a skated (half hitched) Sunray Shadow (Hens). First time I have had success on these. Lost a lot of fish including a biggy but as the single was one of Partridges new Tube fly hooks in size 12, it was a bit too small. I needed it small so the fly skated as it was dressed on a 3/4 inch narrow plastic tube and was about 3" with wing. Anything bigger and the fly fished too deep to leave a V wake.

Helped land a cracking bar of silver that was somewhere between 22-25lbs, again a red francis. Net marks too.

Photos on FaceAche ;)..and I had Singapore Noodles for tea ;)

Thats my fill for the year, not too keen on combat fishing although the bunch yesterday were all friendly enough and no issues about moving down the pool, but I do prefer a bit of peace and quiet. I did find a bit that seems not to be fished normally, but was producing fish to the angler that was fishing it, so I will maybe give that a go one morning. Needs a loooong cast so I may have to break out the 14 footer and shooting heads.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #70 on: 11/10/2013 at 20:05 »
Was offered a day out by a very kind gent. The rain gods obliged and for the first time since the spring I arrived at a beat and there was enough water to make the beat fishable!

A few fish showing and a few heading and tailing as they ran through.

End result a wee cock fish in his tartan pyjamas! Sent back to spawn in peace!

Thankfully i hooked the fish in the morning before i changed to my alternate hat! May well be my last cast this season. A very enjoyable day!

Matt

Mike Barrio

« Reply #71 on: 11/10/2013 at 20:58 »
Great stuff Matt :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #72 on: 12/10/2013 at 10:06 »
Thankfully i hooked the fish in the morning before i changed to my alternate hat!

nice one Matt. And what's wrong with your other hat?!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #73 on: 12/10/2013 at 18:02 »
nice one Matt. And what's wrong with your other hat?!

It was pointed out by one of the other rods that they didn't think it was manly enough for fishing acitivities.  Problem is that my other bunnets are currently missing in action and unikely to be uncovered before we've moved house again.

I will decline to comment on the headwear that I have seen the rod in question pictured wearing  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com