Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

River Dee 2013
« on: 26/02/2013 at 12:42 »
Hi folks :z16

Thought we could have a thread for forum members to post about their days on the Dee, like we do for the Don.

Best wishes
Mike

Matt Henderson

Re: River Dee 2013
« Reply #1 on: 27/02/2013 at 09:26 »
I've had one day out so far this season.  Lovely weather, river in perfect condition.  No sign of a fish at all until quarter past four when one splashed tight in to the far bank! 

Out again next week hoperfully. 

Cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 27/02/2013 at 17:16 »
Hi Matt,

Always look forward to your Dee posts.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 27/02/2013 at 17:20 »
Great photo Matt, thanks for posting :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 27/02/2013 at 21:06 »
Thanks guys, one of the other rods took that one. I keep forgetting to put the big camera in the car before a days fishing.

Will hopefully get a few more trips out over the season.

Matt

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 16/03/2013 at 19:54 »
I was fishing today on a Dee beat just below Banchory and was fishing with 2" aluminium tubes with a size 4 patriot single hook. I had used this set up earlier in the week on the Spey and had 2 takes which turned out to be kelts with both landed.

Today at around 12.30 on the Dee I had a pull from a fish which i initially thought was a kelt and it came to the bank quite quickly whereupon it woke up and it became apparent that I was into a small springer. After a brief but sprited fight the fish was safely landed and then returned. The single went all the way through the nose of the fish and I pushed the eye of the hook through and cut the line as this would cause less damage than pulling it ou conventionally.

A couple of casts later and I let go of the line early on a cast which meant that the line went out like a bag of sh*t and landed in a heap. I decided just to let the current straighten it and almost immediately the reel was screaming so I tried to slow it down and a good fish around 12 pounds came out of the water about fifteen yards above me attached to my line. I would in and gained contact but the fish fell off. I did not really desrve that one anyway so I was not to bothered.

2nd cast in the afternoon in the Kirk pot ( anyone who recognises this pool knows how much fun the wading is in there) and I got a fantastic take and the fish went ballistic and ran straight to the other side of the river. The current is extremely strong in the part of the pool and my mate Kenny came up to help me land the fish as it is not a one man job. I played the fish for about 15 minutes and finally it began to tire so I started to draw it into some slack water for Kenny to tail and right at the death the single hook pulled free. We both had a clear sight of the fish as it was on the surface and 6 feet away, we estimated it to be about fifteen pounds.

3 spingers hooked on one day and one landed, I cannot complain about that and the second one deserved to get off as i had no real right to hook it or to hold on and the 3rd one could have come off regardless of hook choice, so far I am happy enough with the single irons on the tubes.

Eddie.

danbruce

« Reply #6 on: 16/03/2013 at 19:59 »
Well done Eddie :z16
Nice tip about removing the single hook too. Might make a trip up to Banchory this week for some singles.

:z18
Dan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 16/03/2013 at 20:12 »
Great stuff Eddie :z16

Looks like you're getting the photos sussed, as well as the fish :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #8 on: 16/03/2013 at 20:32 »
Well done Eddie that's a great day out.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #9 on: 17/03/2013 at 18:41 »
Nice report Eddie. Three springers sounds like an awesome day out.  How is the new hut coming on?

Matt

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 17/03/2013 at 18:55 »
Matt,
the new hut is finished but as yet un used due to waiting for the completion certificate and getting some turf layed outside so that we do not drag all the mud in. It is looking good.

Have you been out since your last report?

Eddie.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #11 on: 17/03/2013 at 19:33 »
One day on the opposite bank hence the question about the new hut. Sadly nothing to show for it. 

Training for a charity bike ride of all things at the moment so I'm yet to wet a line on the Don. Still plenty of time for the floating line and the Sunray on the Pumphouse pool in the summer!

Cheers Matt

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 17/03/2013 at 20:10 »
Matt,
all the best for the rest of the season and good luck with the bike ride. I have just checked my fishing diary and I have been out for 15 days this season. One day on the Tay, 3 days on the Spey and 11 on the Dee.

The score so far is 19 kelts, 1 baggot and 3 springers landed and released. I have also dropped off another six, 2 of which were definite springers and the rest kelts. I am only fishing a couple of days on the Dee in April and 4 days on the Spey at the beginning of may and then it is Troot time up the North West until I go back to Salmon fishing in August.

Tight lines,

Eddie.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 18/03/2013 at 19:34 »
Nice one Ed  :z16

You seem to be putting yourself right in amongst the blighters.

Iain

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #14 on: 18/03/2013 at 21:02 »
Iain,
Thanks for that. I have been pretty lucky so far as there does not seem to be the normal head of fish on the East coast rivers compared to the last few years and on the lower Dee there is a definite shortage of kelts. We saw more fish at the end of last week than we have since the start of the season so hopefully this is a good sign going forward.

Eddie.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com