Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Salmon Singles
« on: 25/02/2013 at 15:15 »

Looking for a hook that looks like a Salar but smaller for some summer patters now.

Look to the carp fishing world, especially Owner or Gamakatsu, both of whom do similer shaped hooks in a lighter guage, but stronger wire.

Owner Cutting point hooks are awesome at staying in and not moving, the Flyliner is virtually identical to the Salar.

Fox, Korda, Gardner and Drennen all do very strong, light hooks that might be ok. Korda widegapes have a short shank and a "wide gape" which make them great for tubes.

Ben Dixon

Re: Salmon Singles
« Reply #1 on: 25/02/2013 at 22:35 »
Rob,

Moved your post from Don forum to save clogging the reports as I think this need further discussion.

I seem to have dropped a lot of fish over the past two seasons using Salar tube doubles compared to the Salar tying doubles so I've decided to fish the whole season this year on singles.

Happy with the Salar tube singles (so far) used them odd times before and from memory they always held well.  Three takes this season (all kelts) converted to fish landed.

Just need to find something small but strong for small tubes and also something that looks nice for dressing flies on.

Cheers

Ben

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 26/02/2013 at 20:16 »
Other than wee Greenwells doubles for seatrout, I have fished singles for a long long time Ben.
You are dead right about dropping salmon depending what style of hook you use.

For a while I tried saltwater singles but the long, sharp point stuck on the salmons jaw bone, slid round and popped out. Hamish can relate a story of the two of us on the Thurso and me dropping two fresh run off the tide salmon and having a fit of blue air  :z4

Kamasan B170 / 175s work well and I need to get some tube single for this year, so I'm liking the carp hooks Rob.

:z1

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 26/02/2013 at 20:20 »
Ben,
I am off to Angola on Thursday for just over a week. I have got my hands on a bunch of single irons so I will make my favourite patterns in various sizes and give them a swim when I get home. I have not had too many problems with the doubles that you mentioned but it will be interesting to see the hooked to landed ratio with singles.

Eddie.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 26/02/2013 at 20:57 »
So far this season, I've had three takes and three landed fish on the singles.  Two hooked in the scissors, one in the upper jaw right on the neb.  On each occasion hook as been all the way through, well hooked.  Only a whole season will tell for me but so far so good.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 27/02/2013 at 10:45 »
If you want a hook that really digs in, then the Owner Cutting point is the answer. It actually has a flat surface, thus spreading out the load and stopping the hook moving.

As said, many of the carp hooks have a good gape and loads of strength, despite being small.

Some of them are available in a PTFE coated version which is a nice subdued grey colour.

As for Salar tube doubles, I noticed that when I tried to slide the 2 points into the foam on my fly box, it was difficult. When doing the same with the Ospery doubles, they went in really easy.

I am sure it must be the curved points doing it, because when you look carefully, the curve starts to dig in and want to turn the hook. As the curves face each other, they are both fighting against one another.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 27/02/2013 at 11:58 »

I am sure it must be the curved points doing it, because when you look carefully, the curve starts to dig in and want to turn the hook. As the curves face each other, they are both fighting against one another.

Just stick one hook into the foam :wink

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 28/02/2013 at 09:09 »
Just stick one hook into the foam :wink

Sandy

Not quite the "point" I was trying to make..lol

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 07/04/2013 at 12:36 »
How is everybody getting on with fishing singles this year?

Anybody using a single barbless (not de-barbed) salmon hook with success?

Cheers
Mike

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 07/04/2013 at 13:13 »
Mike,
I have been using patriot singles on my tubes and the count so far is 27 kelts landed 4 springers landed and 8 long distance catch and release, so far so good.

Eddie. :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 07/04/2013 at 13:16 »
Mike,
I have been using patriot singles on my tubes and the count so far is 27 kelts landed 4 springers landed and 8 long distance catch and release, so far so good.

Eddie. :z16

Impressive  :z16

How is everybody getting on with fishing singles this year?

I like them, I like them a lot.

Anybody using a single barbless (not de-barbed) salmon hook with success?

Is such a thing available :?

H :cool:

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 07/04/2013 at 13:20 »
Hamish,
one thing to remember, that sounds like a lot of fish but I have been out for 18 whole days since the first of February but all things considered it is not bad and the singles have been working well and they make the release so much easier.

Eddie.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 07/04/2013 at 13:21 »
Well, I've only had 6 fish - all kelts, 2 dropped- one of which was on the dangle so I'm converted for when fishing tubes.

Iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 07/04/2013 at 13:26 »
Hamish,
one thing to remember, that sounds like a lot of fish but I have been out for 18 whole days since the first of February but all things considered it is not bad and the singles have been working well and they make the release so much easier.

Eddie.

True, I've been out only twice (fishing 'seriously') with three kelts to show for it and a couple of good pulls.

But, Eddie, that's pretty damn good going  :z16 Four fish before mid-April is a lot better than most who will have had far fewer fish than that for the same sort of effort. Pretty good going that - honest :!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 07/04/2013 at 13:36 »
Is such a thing available :?

Did Partridge not do one? Available through Flymakers if I remember correctly? ............... Anybody else offer a barbless Salmon single?

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com