Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ploddy

First time out
« on: 24/02/2013 at 16:15 »
All being well looks like I will be making my fly fishing debut on the Forglen beat of the Deveron this coming Wednesday.

My hopes and aspirations for the day are probably as follows:

1. Have a most enjoyable day with good company and a tranquil location
2. Try to put things into practice that Ben taught (and sold) me and to improve my casting during the day
3. If I am wading, try not to fall in.  Even if I am not wading still try not to fall in
4. Try not to get a fly embedded in any part of my body although I fully expect to get tangled up
5. Take a tiny step on the learning curve

Think that's about it.  You will see no mention of catching a fish, we will leave that off the list meantime.

Davie

Jim Eddie

Re: First time out
« Reply #1 on: 24/02/2013 at 17:01 »
Good stuff Davie, hope you enjoy your day and the fishing gods are kind to you  :z15

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 24/02/2013 at 17:40 »
Good luck Davie, let us know how you get on  :z16

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 24/02/2013 at 18:46 »
Good luck Davie, let us know how you get on  :z16

Ditto :z16

Sandy

Ploddy

« Reply #4 on: 27/02/2013 at 18:04 »
Just back and had an absolutely cracking day.  Don't think I will get many better days weather wise throughout the season.

To start off with my casting was all over the place, if it was if I had forgotten all that I had been taught.  However when I really started to think about it something clicked and I began to put out casts that I was really happy with.

Managed to stay upright while wading although I can see how easy it would be to lose your footing. My companion landed a kelt and another couple were seen jumping about.

All in all really enjoyed myself and look forward to the next excursion.  By that time my Hugh Falkus book will also have arrived so I will be making a start on that.

Davie

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 27/02/2013 at 18:10 »
Good shit - as Ben might say  :wink  :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 27/02/2013 at 20:41 »
Aye glad you enjoyed your day Davie  :z16

:z18

Jim

Ploddy

« Reply #7 on: 28/02/2013 at 21:29 »

Here is a pic of me on the water for the first time.  Not sure if this cast was succesful or a duffer but I can already hear Ben saying get your right hand further up the handle.

Davie

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 28/02/2013 at 22:54 »
 :z16 like :z18

:cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 28/02/2013 at 23:03 »
Great stuff Davie :z16

Nice photo .... and really pleased that you enjoyed yourself, that is what it is all about :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 28/02/2013 at 23:07 »

Here is a pic of me on the water for the first time.  Not sure if this cast was succesful or a duffer but I can already hear Ben saying get your right hand further up the handle.

Davie

Pleased you enjoyed it Davie, shame you didn't get anything but fish seem thin on the ground this spring even in the usual hotspots.

Nice pic, get your hand further up the top handle mate!  :z4

Hard to tell if the cast was spot on from the pic but there is a good D loop, the anchor is straight and minimal on the water and there is a bend in the rod.  One thing to take from that picture is how the leader and fly line look, leader appears to be straight and there appears to be little if any of the shooting head on the water  :z16

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com