Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

riverdevron

Bamboo
« on: 19/02/2013 at 00:27 »
After starting off with a greenheart rod as a boy, and working through graphite and boron I'd like to end my fishing days with a bamboo 7' 5wt spring creek rod. I now live in the USA. I'd welcome advice on top but affordable British builders.

Jim Eddie

Re: Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2013 at 07:07 »
When we were at the Don openeing Saturday one of the guys had a cane rod that had been made by a guy in Peterhead. Looked really nice, apparently he bought up all the Sharpes materials when they closed in Huntly. I beleive the guy is contactable the tackle shop in Peterhead.

:z18

Jim

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2013 at 08:35 »
When we were at the Don openeing Saturday one of the guys had a cane rod that had been made by a guy in Peterhead. Looked really nice, apparently he bought up all the Sharpes materials when they closed in Huntly. I beleive the guy is contactable the tackle shop in Peterhead.

Jim

Interesting...I know Jim Somers got most of the good Sharpes cane, with the rest going to Smiths Tackle that used to be in King Street. The cane sat in both shops for a number of years, the stuff in Somers being sold off on e-bay etc in recent times, but I do not know where the Smiths stuff ended up when they closed.

Sharpes made cane for several US companies including Lee Wulff, and thats the blanks I was given as payment for whipping up the old Fibatube rods for Somers back in the late 80's. I seem to recall blanks for Farlows down in the store too.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 19/02/2013 at 08:40 »
After starting off with a greenheart rod as a boy, and working through graphite and boron I'd like to end my fishing days with a bamboo 7' 5wt spring creek rod. I now live in the USA. I'd welcome advice on top but affordable British builders.

I have to ask why you are wanting a UK made rod when you are in the land of custom cane (bamboo) builders?

However, I do know one of the cane builders here, try Edward Barder. Truely beautiful rods but I heard that his waiting list is long! http://www.barder-rod.co.uk/fly%20rods/fly%20rods%20models%20and%20prices.aspx

I had the joy of handling one of his barbel rods a few years ago and it was exquisit! His fly rods are meant to be even better.

riverdevron

« Reply #4 on: 21/02/2013 at 15:01 »
Many thanks everyone. Very helpful. I discovered recently that the Lee Wulfe bamboo rods are made by a British builder. In the end I think I'm going to settle for an Orvis Adirondack. That way I can try it and return it if necessary. Again, thanks for your interest.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 21/02/2013 at 15:43 »
I forgot to mention, Hardy Brothers are once more producing bamboo rods, all rather exquisit.

http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/products/flyfishing-rods/hardy-bros-rods/

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 21/02/2013 at 18:58 »
Sorry to be late to the party with this one :roll but i've only just noticed it.

There are a handful of really good UK builders of nice cane rods, as Rob mentions Edward Barder is one of the best and Tom Moran is the man behind the new Hardy rods. :z16 Both guys make beautiful rods and they represent the top end of the market in the UK.

A couple of very good builders that are less known but just as good, are Luke Bannister at www.splitcane.co.uk and Tim Harris at www.harrisflyrods.co.uk. I've not spoken to Luke but his reputation is excellant :z16 and his rods are very nice indeed with some rather sweet tapers. Tim and I have spoken to many times and he is a really nice guy :z16 he also turns out some very nice rods  :z16 He is a Talent waiting to be discovered and his rods are a bit of a bargain.

Personally i'd be avoiding anything with a major brand label as they are generally overpriced compared to the ones that are made specifically for you.

I have a soft spot for some of the classic rods (Payne and Dickerson tapers), and you will find, if you look at things like Len Codellas Bamboo list, www.codella.com/binventory.htm you will find loads of great rods at good prices, most are as good as unused and I would certainly go for a Second hand Rod from a small maker such as Jennings, Maurer, Schroeder or many others over getting a big brand rod.
if you talk to Len he has loads of great advice and will suggest something for you that suits what you want it to do for whatever budget you have in mind. If i lived in the US, Len would be a good mate i think :cool: Not sure what the wife would think of that though, it would get expensive. :z6

Hope some of that helps, I'd give Len a Call if i were you before i spent any money :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 21/02/2013 at 19:39 »
These guys are worth a look too, some interesting stock lists.

www.wagnerrods.com/vintage.html

www.westslopefly.com/rods/index.cfm

And

www.southcreekltd.com

Sandy

Duncan McRae

« Reply #8 on: 22/02/2013 at 10:40 »
Might be worth considering a vintage rod.
There's a lovely looking 7'6" Sharpes Scottie on ebay at the moment.Sorry don't know how to link.

Duncan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com