Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: New Barrio Switch Line gets the thumbs up!
« Reply #15 on: 20/02/2013 at 17:39 »
Posted by Ben elsewhere but I f*cked up whilst splitting a thread - sorry Ben  :z10

O.K........

Some details about the new line, long post but it's been a long development for this one.

A bit of background first.

There has been a lot of interest in "switch" rods over the last 12 - 18 months and one of the questions I have been asked most recently is "I have X rod but cannot find a line to work it, what would you use?"  When we were sold these things from the US, we were told that the rods were designed to be used single handed or double handed, that you can "switch" between the two. 
Problem is that neither one or two handed casts were ever going to feel good this way.  A line that worked well two handed was uncomfortable to use on the end of a long rod all day and, a line that worked the rod well single handed was like casting fresh air when using the same rod two handed.  Some lines sort of bridge the gap but really excel in neither situation. 
It quickly became apparent that very few really wanted to "switch" this anyway and most of the rods in the UK at least were being used as short two handed rods by anglers chasing salmon or sea trout on smaller rivers or on the larger rivers in low water conditions therefore, it makes sense to line them for that purpose.  The aim was to produce a line that would cast well two handed on 10'6" - 11' 6" rods and allow delicate presentations on long tapered leaders with small flies, also lump gear about, cast well over a range of distances and, be manageable on that length of rod for Spey casting in confined spaces. 

The length of the line from the tip to the end of the compound rear taper (colour change) is 30'8".  The rear taper allows tight sharp loops to be formed off the tip from dead line casts, when fishing in tight spots, when moving heavy stuff and also allows more line to be carried into the D loop for longer casts where there is space to do so.  The total castable (lift & throw) length of head is about 37'.
The weight distribution took a long time to get right, a good Spey casting line puts the weight under the rod tip so tends to be back weighted.  This is fine when casting the whole head but with a short length of line out, they often feel too light to provide any sort of feel and accuracy suffers, particularly in adverse conditions.

After several prototypes and a lot of casting by a number of different anglers of differing abilities we believe that we have it right, final samples arrived about two weeks ago and I was straight out to give them a throw.  I've cast the 6/7 line on Orvis Helios & Access #7 switch rods and also on a MacKenzie 11'2" #7/8 (this really does want the 7/8)

I tried Spey casting the line with a 15' 10lb tapered Varivas salmon leader, turnover was very controllable, stable loops at all ranges, performed well at 40' from feet to fly and also screamed out to 75' + with little effort when required, also felt good overhead when used two handed.
Went from the tapered leader to 6' then 10' intermediate salmon polyleaders which posed no problem at all.  The real test would be how it handled the nasty stuff.  The 6/7 managed to circle out a 10' ex fast sink salmon polyleader and carried it to the target with out any problem at all so I just kept chucking junk on the front of it until gave up.

It coped fine with 10' of Airflo T10 and 7' of T14 providing that the colour change was at the rod tip.  The limit for me was 15' of Rio T8 material which is far more tip than I would ever try to fish on a #7 switch outfit, the line carried it but with all that on the front, the length of line I was trying to control was becoming an issue on an 11' rod.  If I was going to fish this sort of gear on the line regularly then I would probably cut off the 8" level tip and whip a loop onto the front, this would make life easier but the line will cope with it uncut.

Sizes will be as above, exact delivery date is TBC but I know Mike is pushing the factory as hard as he can 

Really looking forward to this hitting the market, anyone want to buy a Beulah Elixir from me?

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 20/03/2013 at 00:48 »
Hi folks :cool:

The new Barrio Switch lines are starting to arrive and some are available on the website ....... see http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-switch.html

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 20/03/2013 at 08:07 »
Hi folks :cool:

The new Barrio Switch lines are starting to arrive and some are available on the website ....... see http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-switch.html

Best wishes
Mike

:z16 :z16 :z16 Hurry up with the 5 weight  :X2

Iain Cameron

« Reply #18 on: 22/03/2013 at 11:58 »
The new Barrio Switch lines are starting to arrive ...

... and mine has arrived at home, thanks as always for the prompt dispatch. I'll get it spooled it over the weekend, but with 30 mile an hour winds and 1'C forecast, I doubt it'll get a wetting on the river.... fair weather fisherman and all that... really looking forward to giving it a whirl, will report back
cheers
iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #19 on: 06/04/2013 at 14:22 »
hi Mike

Finally managed to get out and try the Barrio Switch. Used the 6/7 line on an Orvis Access 6 weight, 11 footer. Teamed it with an Airflo trout polyleader, intermediate, 10ft, and a few feet of tippet.

Simply very good - I didn't really think about the line - it was just there doing its job quietly and happily.  For me, it had the right weight to flex the rod - whose top end rating is 375grains. Now, technically that means that the Barrio switch is too heavy... but for a bear of very little casting ability, the weight worked for me. And that's all that matters!

I'd always felt that the previous line I was using (at 335grains) was a touch light.  I found that pulling a couple of feet of the  head (orange bit before the colour change) into the rod rings worked well for me, although have the colour change right at the tip worked too.  Distances were not spectacular, but happily in the 60-75 feet range from reel to fly - which is plenty enough for my cronky spey casting. Snake rolls were pretty comfortable too - again, just the right weight for me.

So, I'm really happy with the line - good work Barrio fly lines!

A lovely pool on the lower don, about 70-80 feet across

Hamish Young

« Reply #20 on: 06/04/2013 at 16:26 »
Good news Iain  :z16

Below the cruives at Persley :?

H :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 07/04/2013 at 01:09 »
Great stuff Iain, I'm really pleased that you like the Switch :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #22 on: 07/04/2013 at 09:02 »
Superb Iain  :z16

Not sure how many prototypes of the switch we had and cast, but the line has been in development for about 18 months.  Took a long time to get right, I think Mike was starting to lose the will to live with it and my constant nit picking during testing  :z4

You'll find that when you're really on it with your casting and have the space, you'll be able to overhang a good bit of running line and the loop will tighten and just keep going and going.

I'm looking forward to getting out and fishing mine very soon.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Cameron

« Reply #23 on: 07/04/2013 at 11:46 »
Below the cruives at Persley :?

spot on Hamish, right in the middle of Benzies pool.

Ben - yes, I think it will be an excellent line for helping me to improve my d/handed casting. Has the right weight and feel and length to work with the line without having to force it. Worth the wait!

cheers
iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #24 on: 08/04/2013 at 20:23 »
  ... as the 5 does not have the backbone for Sea Trout or big Brownies.

Rob, I've eaten spaghetti that have more backbone than your 5 wt switch rod!
:-)

Give me a shout if you want a shot of the access 6 wt with the barrio switch.
But only when you've finished my old spinning/worming rod (13 months and counting.......)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #25 on: 09/04/2013 at 07:52 »
Rob, I've eaten spaghetti that have more backbone than your 5 wt switch rod!
:-)

Give me a shout if you want a shot of the access 6 wt with the barrio switch.
But only when you've finished my old spinning/worming rod (13 months and counting.......)

13 months? I am ahead of schedule then!! The annoying thing is, its whipped and sitting by the fire in the living room, I just can't get a free room to epoxy it just now! Ok, my mission for the weekend is to clear the table in the spare room and epoxy...!!!

I used to use Izzys room when she was up at her mums, thats not an option now unless you want glitter and lipstick in the epoxy!!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 12/04/2013 at 15:35 »
Following 18 months development .... the full range of Barrio Switch lines are now available from the website :z16

http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-switch.html

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #27 on: 12/04/2013 at 15:44 »
Good show  :z16

Djordje Andjelkovic

Barrio Switch New
« Reply #28 on: 19/05/2013 at 15:45 »
OK, now I could say something about Barrio Switch lines, I have had enough time to spent on the water and playing with few switch rods and Barrio Switch lines.

Rods which I used are:

- Scott LS2 12ft #6
- Sage Z-Axis 11ft #5
- Amudson Wind-Warrior Spey 11ft #6
- TFO Deer Creek Series  11ft #5

As Pro Team Member I tried to find any bad side of line, and give Mike this info to improve his lines and business.

Most of time I spent using these equipment in fishing situation (for me the best field for testing) with dries flies and light and heavy streamers.

I found that I had on these rods the best line I ever had. So easy casting, mending, picking up, and good fun playing (Of course).

Not more and no less grains into line. I compared with Rio Outbond. Big difference in positive side of Barrio switch.

Sorry Mike but I did not find anything bad or wrong to tell you.

Just could say you did big job with guys who help you to make the best line for switch rod, I ever tried and used.

I have some video made with GoPro Hero3 but my computers are so old to edit video from this camera.   Will do something soon and put here.

Djordje, Serbia

Mike Barrio

Re: Barrio Switch
« Reply #29 on: 19/05/2013 at 22:48 »
Hi Djordje :z16

Thanks for the feedback, that's great news, I am really pleased that the Switch line suits your fishing in Serbia!

Looking forward to seeing the video too :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com