Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Give me 5 essential patterns
« on: 11/02/2013 at 13:36 »
I know it has been done before, but there are a lot of new ADAA members this year...

...Soooo, when hitting the Don for the Spring Salmon, what 5 patterns would you not leave home without?

(Has nothing to do with having taken delivery of 200 Salmon hooks..honest :) )

Sandy Nelson

Re: Give me 5 essential patterns
« Reply #1 on: 11/02/2013 at 16:04 »
Willie Gunn

Gold Willie Gunn

Thats about it from me :z16

:z18

Sandy

Rich Knoles

« Reply #2 on: 11/02/2013 at 16:18 »
Some things out of Ben's box

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 11/02/2013 at 18:17 »
Gold Willie Gunn Rob and not on a hook at this time of year  :z4

If that fails try some sweetcorn or a boilie.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 12/02/2013 at 08:42 »
I was out for a few hours yesterday, three rods, one fishing a popped up boillie, the other two on Halibut Pellets. Trouble with fishing the Don in this way is that at this time of year, the flow tends to carry away any pellets you throw in as grounbait. I had one pull on a pellet, played the fish for a bit, saw it was a large brownie so I just pulled hard to try and get a hook pull. I hate it when Brownies take a bait, they tend to muck up the swim.

Anyway, I will be bivvied up just below the bridge at Kintore over the weekend if you want to pop in by for a coffee.

:X2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 12/02/2013 at 09:04 »
 :z4  :z4  :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 12/02/2013 at 09:06 »
I was out for a few hours yesterday, three rods, one fishing a popped up boillie, the other two on Halibut Pellets. Trouble with fishing the Don in this way is that at this time of year, the flow tends to carry away any pellets you throw in as grounbait. I had one pull on a pellet, played the fish for a bit, saw it was a large brownie so I just pulled hard to try and get a hook pull. I hate it when Brownies take a bait, they tend to muck up the swim.

Anyway, I will be bivvied up just below the bridge at Kintore over the weekend if you want to pop in by for a coffee.

:X2

Smirk - quality post there Rob  :z13

Gold bodied WG.
Tosh
WG
Something big, silver and black, that isn't a toby.

H :z3

Mark Zhang

« Reply #7 on: 12/02/2013 at 12:15 »
I was out for a few hours yesterday, three rods, one fishing a popped up boillie, the other two on Halibut Pellets.  :X2

I'm new to River Don. Is this for carp? By the way, do we have any carp in Don? I'm confusing now, help, please? :z8

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 12/02/2013 at 12:31 »
I'm new to River Don. Is this for carp? By the way, do we have any carp in Don? I'm confusing now, help, please? :z8

It was a toungue in cheek post. No carp in the Don...but plenty of Grayling  :X2

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 12/02/2013 at 13:04 »
It was a toungue in cheek post. No carp in the Don...but plenty of Grayling  :X2

...........  ZX3

Alex Burnett

« Reply #10 on: 12/02/2013 at 13:48 »

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com