Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter McCallum

Getting kids into fishing
« on: 04/05/2007 at 19:54 »
Some of you may have seen a splash in the press, radio, TV etc. about a fortnight ago launching a new initiative called SNAP and a  web based fishing club, called 'The Castaways', for young people by young people with the express purpose of introducing kids to fishing. The day was held at Kingennie near Dundee & included a day fishing for youngsters mainly from Angus schools, one of which I work at and took some kids along for hard days fishing. The idea is that they join online and are able to get discounts on tackle and fishing ( if the suppliers of such can extract their digits??), access fishing, write stories get hints and tips etc. The site is aimed at all disciplines game, coarse & sea angling. To join go to www.thecastaways.org.uk.

One of the problems at present are things to put on the website, written by the youngsters themselves (theres only so much you can wring from one schools fishing club), particularly pictures & text about their fishing experiences. So....................... I know most of you are, like me (BOF's boring old .....) but you must have/know kids who would be willing to submit a story.

If you have such wonderful children they can send pieces to  secretary@thecastaways.org.uk which will reach the 'secretary' (me) and then will (hopefully) make it onto the website.

If you are able to offer discounts on tackle or fishing we would be extreamly grateful for your support  :grin:  :grin:

if you want any more info you can PM me or contact the SNAP Manager, Ian Robertson at, ian@scaet.org.uk

Thanks in anticipation

Peter

Jim Doyle

Getting kids into fishing
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/2007 at 20:08 »
peter, I know neil was at the kingennie do, mind you some of what mike said was a bit disingenuous, the stuff at kingennie was done by neil and myself, thats by the way , I,ll try and find some photos of kevins cat fish , hes now had 5 over the hundred, biggest 168lb. that should add interest to the sight . jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com