Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Waders
« on: 09/02/2013 at 01:25 »
Not long to go now before we start walking the river banks, I need some new waders this year, so time to explore my options :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Alex Burnett

Re: Waders
« Reply #1 on: 09/02/2013 at 07:09 »
Simms Freestone Chest Waders stocking foot, from Angus Angling £249 or £269 c/w with Simms Freestone Boots.

:z16

Alex

Ploddy

« Reply #2 on: 09/02/2013 at 09:33 »
Mike, have you ever used Diver Dave.  I know that he got a large batch of waders into stock available for sale.  I got a pair of Snowbee Prestige ST waders which still had the tags on.  There had been a pin hole in one of the soles which was duly fixed and the waders given his seam seal treatment which people seem to rave about.  £100 with a year guarantee so think that is a pretty good deal.

Davie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 09/02/2013 at 09:48 »
Thanks for the pointer Ploddy ..... but not an option for me personally.

I think I will take a trip up to Orvis this week and see what Ben has in the shop :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #4 on: 09/02/2013 at 12:58 »
I think I will take a trip up to Orvis this week and see what Ben has in the shop :cool:

Good plan, new Sonicseams out soon I think ? I got a pair last season.

L

Euan Innes

« Reply #5 on: 09/02/2013 at 19:50 »
Go see Ben Mike.
Vary what you wear under breathables and you will never go back to rubber or neoprene. And the Orvis ones are very good. I like wearing them in a boat so if the weather changes I stay dry. AND when you push the boat out you don't get wet doing it.

Float tubing is a breeze with good fleece leggings (much cheapness on ebay!), and thermal leggings under trousers in spring are the mutts nuts.

One tip. Buy a waterproof canoe dry bag to store the boots, waders and cuffs in the back of the car. Dry them all out later and put them back in the bag for storage. I have a 25ltr dry bag with a shoulder strap that works really well for that job.

Unfortunately it is called a Nookie bag.....

:z1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 13/02/2013 at 21:44 »
I use my Shakey tube bag for this, or a wee boot bag and the wee bag yer waders come in to keep the car dry, however with two mental labradors in there most of the time it's a bit of a lost cause.  :z4 :z4

Glad they haven't named the bag Baw?!!?   :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 14/02/2013 at 09:46 »
Unfortunately my Wychwood breathables are still going strong :( I say unfortunately because I like the look of some of the newer waders on the market, but until the Wychwoods give up, I can't really justify the price.

Is 5 years for breathables good?

I got the new Snowbee catalogue last night and I really like the look of their new "rock hopper" waders. More like wetsuit trousers with a fancy logo etc, but with a tough outer material to stop rocks etc ripping them when out after pollock and bass from the rocks. Maybe a bit too modern for the trout and salmon scene :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 14/02/2013 at 22:05 »
Call me biased, but I'd recommend Orvis Sonic Seam waders every time.

I've had two years out of a set with nothing more than a couple of careless self inflicted pin holes, Paul Procter has had a couple of seasons out of his too.
Mine are never dried, have never been re-proofed and generally live screwed up in the boot of the car.

As there is no stitching, the seams are waterproof without any tape over them, the tape is only there for strength.  With a stitched wader, every time the seam is stretched when wearing the holes from stitching are opened slightly and over time, water will seep in between the tape and the fabric and break down the glue, particularly if they are not dried after use and the seams will eventually fail.

Just got some of the new Silver Sonics, these are of the same construction but utilise a slightly more robust fabric and have a few more bells & whistles.  Can't give a long terms assessment as I have only had them on a few times but so far so good.

Is 5 years for breathables good?
  Almost unbelievably so Rob.  Have you actually fished in them or have you just been using them for sleeping in a bivvy?

I got the new Snowbee catalogue last night and I really like the look of their new "rock hopper" waders.
I'm considering some of these too, look perfect for rock fishing for pollock.  I got some of the ROckhopper boots last year, these are absolutely superb for the coast and very comfortable.  Grip in a wide range of conditions is excellent, highly recommended.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 15/02/2013 at 09:17 »
Almost unbelievably so Rob.  Have you actually fished in them or have you just been using them for sleeping in a bivvy?

They have been used a fair bit, including sitting in boats when out after Pike, and kneeling over Pike when unhooking.

The ones I have have a triple layered knee and lower leg, and backside material. They are pretty heavy and robust, which is why I went for them. When looking in the first place, I noticed the "fly fishing" waders did seem much thinner and lighter.

Unfortunately, Wychwood no longer make them :(

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com