Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ploddy

First outfit - do I need more
« on: 08/02/2013 at 22:00 »
Have got myself my first outfit ready for the season ahead.  Vision Atom 13' 8/9 rod with a Vision Nite 9/11 reel. To accompany this I have Vision Ace floating lines.  Have joined the Haddo Angling club so will mainly be on the Ythan but also plan some days on the Deveron and Don.

To get me started will I be ok with the floating lines that I have got or should I look at getting a sinking tip system as well.

Davie

Ben Dixon

Re: First outfit - do I need more
« Reply #1 on: 08/02/2013 at 22:26 »
Hi Davie,

Is that the Vision Ace shooting head line or the Spey Ace full Spey line?

Cheers

Ben

Ploddy

« Reply #2 on: 08/02/2013 at 23:39 »
Ben, it is the shooting head line.

Davie

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 09/02/2013 at 00:08 »
Davie,
whilst the floater will be fine in the right conditions I usually have a sinking tip of some description on the end of my line for the majority of my salmon fishing. I would definitely go for a selection of sink tips in various densities to maximise your opportunities for success.

Eddie.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 09/02/2013 at 09:42 »
Hi Davie,

All salmon shooting heads are designed to be used with long leaders, this is usually a 10' poly leader either floating, intermediate or other sink rate.  Without one they really d not cast well at all and as Edde points out, most salmon fishing will be done with a sinking tip (or poly leader) of some description.

What weight Ace head did you get for the rod?

Cheers

Ben

Ploddy

« Reply #5 on: 09/02/2013 at 09:58 »
Ben, it is a 31g line regular length which hopefully should be matched for the rod.  There is a poly leader fitted.  Excuse my ignorance but is it just the poly leader that I would have to swap between floating/sink or would I have to have another spool with a different line as well.

ps thanks for the info, it really is a learning curve and I have a lot to learn.

Davie

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 09/02/2013 at 11:27 »
Hi Davie,

To fish as a full floating set up you would use a floating head and floating polyleader to which you would attach a length or level mono (tippet) in an appropriate diameter for the fly you are using.  On a floating set up, the length of tippet could be anything from 6 to about 12'.

You could put a sinking polyleader onto the floating head without a problem, this would effectively turn your floating shooting head into a sink tip set up.  With a sinking polyleader you would use about 6' maximum of tippet to prevent the sinking leader from going down and the fly staying up.

For a full sinking set up rather than a sink tip, you wuold change your floating shooting head for a sinking shooting head.  This would be fished with a polyleader also and the polyleader should be the same or faster sink rate than your shooting head. 

Heads are generally loop to loop connected to your running line so you would not need another spool.

I'm a bit concerned that your 9/10 floating head may bea little light for the rod at 31g.  Most 8/9 rated rods are happiest with about 34 grams.  3 grams may not sound like a lot but it will make a huge difference particularly if you are just starting out.
The first heads I bought many years ago were Vision Ace in an 8/9 to go on a #9 rod and they were far too light.  I totally wrote off heads for quite while after that.  I always buy heads in grams now and totally disregard what rating is on the box

As a general guide these weights of shooting heads tend to suit most rods for most people
10/11 rod 42 - 44g
9/10 rods 38 - 40g
8/9 rods 34 - 36g

If going for "short cut" heads, you may want t drop a gram or two, if going for "long cut" heads you may want to go up a gram or two.

I hope the above makes sense.

Cheers

Ben

Ploddy

« Reply #7 on: 17/02/2013 at 13:47 »
Big thanks to Ben for going over my equipment today and giving me some basic tuition.

Two things I have learned.  Any duff casts will be down to me and not the equipment and I really do need to have a bit more finesse and not cast as if I am chapping in a fence post.

Davie

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 18/02/2013 at 21:22 »
Have you had a chance to get out fishing in earnest yet Davie?

Iain

Ploddy

« Reply #9 on: 18/02/2013 at 23:02 »
Not yet Iain.  I have joined the Haddo House angling club so will have to get out there and get going.  Will be picking up some other bits and bobs from Ben at his shop so should just about be ready.

Am I right in thinking that the Ythan is not very good for the fly at this early time in the season or what size and type of fly should I be looking to use?

Davie

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 18/02/2013 at 23:04 »
I'm not sure the Ythan gets a lot of spring salmon Davie.  The Don can be a good bet but not much doing so far this season, unless there was something caught today, I only know of 9 so far off the whole river.  The Dee is also slow just now.

Am I right in thinking that the Ythan is not very good for the fly at this early time in the season or what size and type of fly should I be looking to use?

Try to get yourself a copy of "Salmon Fishing" by Hugh Falkus, this will get you started off well.  Ignore some of the stuff on tackle & casting, things have moved on a bit since the book was written but stuff on fly size / times of year etc is all still very relevant.  I think it is out of print so somewhere like Amazon or Cochy Bondhu books would worth a look.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com