Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: Frog's Fanny Substitute
« Reply #15 on: 08/02/2013 at 00:25 »
I agree that the CDC quality makes a difference and I have to say that Lucians' stuff is exceptional, I use it for all surface

Fae Lucian's site on his top grade duck bum:

"Top Grade CDC feathers in natural colors is our best selling product, very much appreciated by all fly tiers.
CDC known also as Cul de Canard are collected around the oil gland of the duck ( wild or domestic bird ). It does not mean that oily aspect is the main factor of floatability.The first reason these feathers float, is their special structure, the multitude of fibers and ramifications.You don't need chemical substances to improve floatability – the best you can do is to dry the CDC fly with an AMADOU patch."

Bearing in mind that Frogs Fanny dries the fly......"The Defence Rests Mullurd" (or should that be Mallard ?)

Rt Hon QC Lord Lafferty Chumley

PS his CDC does look good. I use JT's and yes it has made me a bigger twit.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #16 on: 08/02/2013 at 06:26 »
Right what the hell does Lucian know. Just use the oil .....shakes fist at screen :mad :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #17 on: 08/02/2013 at 12:25 »
Just use the oil .....shakes fist at screen :mad :z4

Never ! You'd have to kill me and prise the bottle of Frogs Fanny from my dying hands  :wink As a great man once said: " we will fight them at sea, and on the beaches and in the fields....we will never surrender......our Frogs Fanny"

Again, the Tefal bit, oil CLOGS feather fibres ! But sure, your fly will definitely float.  :z6

Linderbert Cotchaout

Iain Goolager

« Reply #18 on: 08/02/2013 at 15:40 »
 :oops

It's been a long close season. I forgot to mention that I dry my wet or slimey tyings with my amadou patch prior to primping and patting with the fingers.
BUT that is neither here nor there with regard to the gel stuff.

I will agree to differ with JT, Lucian, Lindsey la fountain, et alan.

I'm happy and it works AND 1 small bottle of gel is still very much full after  ??? a season and a half? longer?

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #19 on: 08/02/2013 at 16:48 »
Just shows you, I bought the Gel (thinking it was the oil) and found I couldn't use it. The oil I could use, in imperceptible amounts, but I don't like it. But then what do I know ? Only that my CDC Olives are deadly  :z16

L

Iain Goolager

« Reply #20 on: 08/02/2013 at 17:38 »
Only that my CDC Olives are deadly

yeah when the trout actually want cripples an' you think you are supplying yachts!  :z7  :X2

Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #21 on: 09/02/2013 at 07:14 »
There is no substitute for the real thing.

Alex

Loxiafan

« Reply #22 on: 09/02/2013 at 12:51 »
There is no substitute for the real thing.

You micht well be right there Alex, but we'll see whit this other stuff is like. I will report back !

Linz

Iain Goolager

« Reply #23 on: 09/02/2013 at 14:28 »

Alex Burnett

« Reply #24 on: 09/02/2013 at 14:36 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: 09/02/2013 at 14:36 »
 :z4 :z4 :lol  :z4 :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #26 on: 09/02/2013 at 15:23 »
Tried It. Doesn't work. Well that's not true, works about as well as CDC Gel/Oil/Dust/Vapour/Aroma/zephyr.

Don't know who Lindsey is but if she is half as good as Lindsay on here and JT then she must be bliming good ?

Lindsay

PS you really do have too much time on your hands  :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #27 on: 09/02/2013 at 18:47 »
Ach, well given the sledging the next time I find something I think is worth sharing I'll keep it to myself ! :o

C ziz on da River.

:z2

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #28 on: 09/02/2013 at 21:22 »
I've been thinking about the title of this post.

I think the answer is Warm apple pie

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy

Tam Greenock

« Reply #29 on: 09/02/2013 at 23:20 »
A few years ago I tied some wee shuttlecock flies using shoe laces, the actual type of shoe lace escapes me at the moment but I used to put some gink on them after tying and they floated for ages. Cut into about half an inch and then the strands teased out, once the fly was tied I used Velcro to bush out the lace. Looked just like CDC

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com