Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Due to a mix up with rods and lines, I was forced to fish a 5 weight SLX on a 6 weight 9'6" Diamondback Flawless on Sunday  :X1

WOW!! Boy does this combination work well! My Flawless is my Streamer rod so I normally use it with a WF line, but the #5 SLX will be my line of choice from now on for it. (Can we please have a sink tip version :) )

On another note, and I am loath to admit this, but the SLX is ideal for "fishing the bung".. :oops :oops It carried two heavy buzzers and a "bung" with ease. I was standing on a point and "spey" casting the rig out into the wind, letting it come round, and shooting it back out without the need to false cast in a strong wind. Alternatively, I was jump rolling the line back into the wind and letting it drift back towards me.

Even a ham fisted idiot like me was managing to shoot some line, and even catch a few fish, although of course I will not count them since they were caught under a "bung".  :X2

Ben Dixon

Re: SLX on the wrong rod with an embaressing method!
« Reply #1 on: 10/02/2013 at 19:02 »
Hi Rob,

Good to know  :z16

If you need a sink tip, then stick a trout polyleader on the end of it, the #5 SLX will carry the Rio 7'ers just fine. 

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 10/02/2013 at 23:37 »
I use poly/versitips on it already, but I do not like the way it pulls a couple of feet of orange line subsurface...just my fear that the orange will scare fish if the line drifts to close to them.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 10/02/2013 at 23:57 »
I use poly/versitips on it already, but I do not like the way it pulls a couple of feet of orange line subsurface...just my fear that the orange will scare fish if the line drifts to close to them.

:roll

Well get an Olive SLX then!

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 11/02/2013 at 08:25 »
lol...but you said there was no need for an olive line!!..lol

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 11/02/2013 at 18:23 »
There's not IMO but if you are not confident fishing with the orange line sub surface then change it Rob.  Just make sure you don't change it for a clear one, you might blind the fish if a stray ray of light catches the line at the wrong time  :lol

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 12/02/2013 at 08:43 »
There's not IMO but if you are not confident fishing with the orange line sub surface then change it Rob.  Just make sure you don't change it for a clear one, you might blind the fish if a stray ray of light catches the line at the wrong time  :lol

Plenty of research on the matter if you would like to look it up. Airflo for one :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 12/02/2013 at 09:03 »
Plenty of research on the matter if you would like to look it up. Airflo for one :)

Oh crap.... not this old chestnut. Again  :X1

H :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 12/02/2013 at 11:12 »
Oh crap.... not this old chestnut. Again  :X1

H :wink

I did not start it  :X2..but...from the very simple http://www.cockeyed.com/incredible/fiber/fiber1.php

to the more complex work done by American Fishing Wire on heavy leaders for big game fishing and their introduction of Flurocarbon leaders to..wait for it, reduce light transmission through thick mono...which is what the core of a clear intermediate line is :)

:z18

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 12/02/2013 at 19:01 »
I did not start it  :X2..but...from the very simple http://www.cockeyed.com/incredible/fiber/fiber1.php

to the more complex work done by American Fishing Wire on heavy leaders for big game fishing and their introduction of Flurocarbon leaders to..wait for it, reduce light transmission through thick mono...which is what the core of a clear intermediate line is :)

:z18

ZX2

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com