Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: New Snowbee Tube
« Reply #60 on: 20/02/2013 at 23:00 »
Hamish...Would Life-raft Sea-Anchor work well on a Float Tube as a drogue?

Alex

Alex, what have you done?!

H, can we have the short answer please?  :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #61 on: 20/02/2013 at 23:25 »
H, can we have the short answer please?  :z4

Twat  :z7

Hamish...Would Life-raft Sea-Anchor work well on a Float Tube as a drogue?

Alex

That's all a drogue is (a sea anchor) so in principal a 'sea anchor' from something like a 1-2 man life-raft would be around the required size for a float tube and something from an 8-12 man life-raft would most probably be ideal for most drifting boats.
So yes, it should work.

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #62 on: 21/02/2013 at 08:27 »
That's all a drogue is (a sea anchor) so in principal a 'sea anchor' from something like a 1-2 man life-raft would be around the required size for a float tube

Which is basically the drogue I spoke of earlier...
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/fox-rage-drogue~14465.html

Alex Burnett

« Reply #63 on: 21/02/2013 at 08:46 »
Alex, what have you done?!

H, can we have the short answer please?  :z4

Stirred the pot!!!!! :wink :X2

That's all a drogue is (a sea anchor)

That's why I asked the question.

Something like this might also work:

Dimensions of triangular large opening is 12" x 12" x 12" with the sock length of 28".
Overall length from the narrow end to the D ring is 5 feet.

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Alex

terrier

« Reply #64 on: 21/02/2013 at 18:00 »
That's not the picture of a drogue I had in my head  :X1.       Can see that working

I was only thinking of a para type drogue, and would have though if you'd stick it on the back of a tube on a windy day you'd be upside down in little time.

Would still need to be fairly careful when you attached to tube though?? Too far back on tube and if it got caught on rock or were out on choppy waves still a risk of getting flipped over from behind or attach too far forward and it's in the road of your legs/flippers.
Or am I just over thinking this ???

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #65 on: 21/02/2013 at 19:07 »

Something like this might also work:

Dimensions of triangular large opening is 12" x 12" x 12" with the sock length of 28".
Overall length from the narrow end to the D ring is 5 feet.

Can you get them at 6ft, we could get one for Rob :z16

S

Allan Liddle

« Reply #66 on: 22/02/2013 at 13:59 »
You could always just eh, move yer feet, pretty sure the fins slow you down.  :wink :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #67 on: 22/02/2013 at 14:00 »
You could always just eh, move yer feet, pretty sure the fins slow you down.  :wink :z4 :z4

Yep :z16

Will Shaw

« Reply #68 on: 02/03/2013 at 16:47 »
Re: the high/low in the water thing:

I have the Guideline drifter and if memory serves you can adjust the ride height to suit by adjusting some of the straps that run underneath the pontoons. Am I right? (Mine's in the shed just now and I can't be arsed to run out and check!)

FWIW I really like the high seating position, but yes it does spin in the wind!

Cheers

W.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #69 on: 02/03/2013 at 21:54 »
Re: the high/low in the water thing:

I have the Guideline drifter and if memory serves you can adjust the ride height to suit by adjusting some of the straps that run underneath the pontoons. Am I right? (Mine's in the shed just now and I can't be arsed to run out and check!)

FWIW I really like the high seating position, but yes it does spin in the wind!

Cheers

W.

Correct re the straps Will!!  I find the Shakey bidet also spins in a wind though!

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #70 on: 03/03/2013 at 08:30 »
Odd, I've not had the problem of a shakey type tube spinning on me when fishing in a breeze.
Then again, to be fair, I've not done much in that design as it really was not intended for someone who carries as much 'casting ballast' as I currently do :roll

Going back to the drogue thing, I'd say it would be worth a try but have a knife handy to cut the line if you need to.
I've never felt the need for a drogue (that I can recall) as the pontoon style Caddis tube I have has been incredibly stable in a drift even in the worst water conditions, as Allan says a wee bit of gentle 'finning' has always seen me right.

H :cool:

Euan Innes

« Reply #71 on: 03/03/2013 at 09:40 »
What you need are big ass fins. The diver size ones that I have are like anchors in a big wind and gentle finning make the Shakey really stable and controllable. At the end of a long day on a big loch you can really motor back to the car too.

The whole tube thing, sitting high or low in the water, is only part of the package. What you have on your feet is just as important and can make or ruin a days fishing. The wee flippers that come with most kits are pretty crap and it is worth spending money on a good set.

And like trimming a boat, weight distribution and bladder inflation pressures also play a part. Too much air and the tube will not sit right, too little and you have no control and you fight the tube. So many variables! But once you get all that sorted, there is nothing finer. The day on Loch Nam Bollocks during last years Highland Fling, might have been fishless but it was the best float tube day as far as control goes. The Red Oktober 2 was perfect, but it took work and a lot of trial and error to get it there.

Nothing finer that a good day in a tube  :cool: :z16

:z1

buzzerman

« Reply #72 on: 03/03/2013 at 13:34 »
There is good and bad about both styles. Used both Sparton tubes bullet proof but if you fish all year round being sat so low in the water it's pretty damn cold. That's where the higher sitting tubes have the advantage. Would not like a drogue seems to me a hazard the art of finning does not take long to master.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com