Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: New Snowbee Tube
« Reply #45 on: 19/02/2013 at 22:45 »
Allan / Euan,

Not buying the easier to control thing even in a wind.  First tube I was out in was an Shakespeare bidet thing and I hated it, I would never have bought one, was hard work.  That day we fished Assynt last year when it was so windy it wasn't possible to walk with the tube on your back, the Guideline did not feel like it was getting blown about uncontrollably and that was fairly extreme wind.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #46 on: 19/02/2013 at 22:59 »
All down to personal preferences :wink

I have even seen this at Haddo, some folk like to be down in the water, others want to be sitting above the water.

It's the same with boats, a lot of folk can't do without their aluminium boat seats, I hate sitting so high in a fibreglass boat in a wave, bloody dangerous things :z6

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #47 on: 20/02/2013 at 08:18 »
All down to personal preferences :wink

And that's the truth, I remain unconvinced that there is one all-round design that is the best because it all comes down to what the individual is comfortable/happy with. I have no doubt that there's pros and cons to all designs but what pleases me most is that a 'new' tube has made it onto the UK market.
Let's face it, there's hardly a glut of quality designs out there at the moment.

:cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #48 on: 20/02/2013 at 09:24 »
Ben,
Your a scientist, there are calculations on drag coefficient that clearly show an item in water has considerably more drag than when in air.

It is beyond arguement that if you are sitting low in the water you will be less effected by wind than if you sit high in the water.

HOWEVER, by sitting higher in the water, you have less drag beneath the surface, so, given certain conditions, it would be easier to paddle against the wind than if more of your body is in the water.

What this means is that a tube like a Shakey will drift less in the wind, but a tube like your Guideline will be easier to paddle about...up to a certain point.

There are things like Boundry Layers, Hydrodynamics, Adverse Pressure Gradients and Vortex's etc that affect things too...but they hurt my head!

As a note...the chaps I know up in Inverness that have Guidelines for their Pike fly fishing have drogues to slow them down in the big winds.

Hamish Young

« Reply #49 on: 20/02/2013 at 09:41 »
..... It is beyond arguement that if you are sitting low in the water you will be less effected by wind than if you sit high in the water.

That's broadly true Rob but is not beyond argument, much depends on what is physically beneath the water line and fundamentally how that is 'orientated'. Trust me on this one  :wink

HOWEVER, by sitting higher in the water, you have less drag beneath the surface, so, given certain conditions, it would be easier to paddle against the wind than if more of your body is in the water.

Yup that's a reasonable statement, but, again.......much depends on what is physically beneath the water line and how that is 'orientated'.

As a note...the chaps I know up in Inverness that have Guidelines for their Pike fly fishing have drogues to slow them down in the big winds.

Really :? :! :shock custom made small drogues I trust.....

H :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #50 on: 20/02/2013 at 12:39 »
That's broadly true Rob but is not beyond argument, much depends on what is physically beneath the water line and fundamentally how that is 'orientated'. Trust me on this one  :wink

Yup that's a reasonable statement, but, again.......much depends on what is physically beneath the water line and how that is 'orientated'.

Really :? :! :shock custom made small drogues I trust.....

Hamish, I am talking about float tubes and humans...as that is what the post is about ;) If we were talking ships, subs and stuff that is meant to be in/below the water I would totally agree with you, but humans are not designed for float tubing :)

Same goes for the second point.

As for the drogues, nope, off the shelf Fox Rage drogues. These are smaller than normal drogues and take the form of a "windsock" rather than a parachute. I believe they were originally designed for European tubers fishing the large Italian and German reservoirs when "drop shotting" for Pike, Zander and Perch.

I personnaly would not like to use a drogue as I think you could end up in all sorts of difficulties if not carefull.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #51 on: 20/02/2013 at 12:44 »
Hi Rob,

You're a scientist, there are calculations on drag coefficient that clearly show an item in water has considerably more drag than when in air.

Did I state anything to the contrary Rob? 

It is beyond arguement that if you are sitting low in the water you will be less effected by wind than if you sit high in the water.

What Hamish Rob but, I would have thought that common sense, no?  You'd need to balance the additional effort require to move a bidet tube around against the reduced effort required to move a higher riding tube and take into account any possible greater effect of wind on the latter.  I think you'd find it to be about the same.

Personally, I have found this to be the case and when sitting and fishing I am far more comfortable in a higher position.

Oh, fixed yr grammer for you mate.  That'll be my good turn for February.

Cheers

Ben

terrier

« Reply #52 on: 20/02/2013 at 12:52 »
Drogue and Float tube in the same sentence sounds suicidal  :shock :shock

These days I certainly prefer sitting that bit higher, my personal preferrence. Move about quicker, stay warmer, better vision, easier casting.
And have been out in some fair choppy days and felt 'safe', even if my belly didn't feel that great at the end of the day!

terrier

« Reply #53 on: 20/02/2013 at 12:59 »
I have no doubt that there's pros and cons to all designs but what pleases me most is that a 'new' tube has made it onto the UK market.

If your speaking about the snowbee one, a new design it is not!

Hamish Young

« Reply #54 on: 20/02/2013 at 13:21 »
Rob - I am referring to float tubes and their users, not submarines or ships, as I am well aware that this is (loosely) what the thread is about. To ensure I haven't entirely lost my marbles I can confirm that this thread on the new Snowbee tube is in the sub-forum titled 'Float Tubing' and not 'Merchant Shipping' so I therefore feel I am posting in the correct place.

To be honest I can't really be arsed going over this (as I am suffering from nicotine withdrawal symptoms and am a bit 'crabbit') but, before you say anything further, consider different tube designs, human anatomy and how the occupant is sat/positioned in different tube designs and what their leg positions and lower body positions are likely to be.
Then consider the first two points that I posted previously...... carefully.

It is agreeable that a 'new' tube is on the market.

terrier

« Reply #55 on: 20/02/2013 at 14:23 »
New, if new is classed as different colour and badges
Design been around since 2010

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #56 on: 20/02/2013 at 14:56 »
This lot do tubes too...but I think they are Sparton ones from old stock?

http://www.pikeflyrod.com/boat-tackle/201-piketrek-floattube-float-tube.html

Allan Liddle

« Reply #57 on: 20/02/2013 at 19:35 »
Yup accept that argument guys, end result as Mike and Hamish point out is the fact it's really down to personal preference.

For me i like the sitting low in the water but equally accept that there are advantages to sitting high, the imrpved vire for one.

Personally i've never felt comfortable on pontoon boats but to be fair i've not spend nearly as much time on them than in a low rider, but enough to know they're not for me.

What it has highlighted for me is the fact i've always felt anglers (who have tried them) fell into two camps on the float tube front, you either like them or not.  But now there's the added 'depending on what kind it is' thought added to the equation. 

Life's hard......................... :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Euan Innes

« Reply #58 on: 20/02/2013 at 21:58 »
This lot do tubes too...but I think they are Sparton ones from old stock?

http://www.pikeflyrod.com/boat-tackle/201-piketrek-floattube-float-tube.html

Sure looks like a Sparton to me Rob.  :z16

Tubes are like Marmite - you love 'em or hate 'em. Like Bamboo and carbon fibre, vinyl and mp3, Alfas and Volvos. I could go on. What is good that folks like us fish from them and someone has come up with a new tube on the UK market.

To be honest I can't really be arsed going over this (as I am suffering from nicotine withdrawal symptoms and am a bit 'crabbit')

Some say that emotions can't be conveyed on the interweb but I now think differently. I think it has to do with tone.....  :z7

:z1

Alex Burnett

« Reply #59 on: 20/02/2013 at 22:15 »
Drogue and Float tube in the same sentence sounds suicidal  :shock :shock

Hamish...Would Life-raft Sea-Anchor work well on a Float Tube as a drogue?

Alex

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com