Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Re: New Snowbee Tube
« Reply #15 on: 04/02/2013 at 22:33 »
If so what vests are a good investment.

Lindsay,

This lot are the biz.

http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/

The Bluewave jackets have nothing to do with fishing so are much cheaper than "fishing" ones. The Bluewave manual jacket is fine for tubing and spares are available almost anywhere. It's really light and fits over all your fishing gear but doesn't get in the way when casting.
Buying a spare re-arming kit is a good thing too.  :z16

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 05/02/2013 at 08:35 »
I bought mune from the above shop also, one of these http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/products/67/harveys-fisher-automatic-gas-lifejacket

I went "auto" as I also wear it when in a boat/deep wading/fishing off the rocks...just in case.

It is the exact same design as some "fishing" ones but £40-£80 cheaper. Infact, one of the fishing branded ones has the same manufacturers label as the Harvey one.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #17 on: 05/02/2013 at 09:45 »
At the mo I wouldn't get any use froma  tube but it is something I hope I could get some use for - maybe buying one would make me get out and justify it !
L

Honestly Lindsay, I didn't like the things when I got mine, I absolutely hated them.  Only bought one due to realising through gritted teeth that there are some places that cannot really be effectively fished without one.  A good few outings later, I still don't go looking for an oppurtunity to get the rubber ring out but I wouldn't be without it.  Certainly opens up a lot of fishing on waters that is not accessible from the shore and where there are no boats.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 05/02/2013 at 10:29 »
Certainly opens up a lot of fishing on waters that is not accessible from the shore and where there are no boats.

Just check access rights! Remember, if you have a ticket to fish, that does not give you the right to go afloat and fish, even if canoeists etc use the water under the open access laws.

I fell foul of that one!!   :z8

Ben Dixon

« Reply #19 on: 05/02/2013 at 13:32 »
Thanks for pointing that out Rob   :z7 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #20 on: 05/02/2013 at 15:59 »
Thanks for pointing that out Rob   :z7 :z4

I think I will nip down to Pump House Pool and float through in my tube..I am a member after all ;)

Loxiafan

« Reply #21 on: 06/02/2013 at 01:26 »
Ta for all the advice.

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #22 on: 06/02/2013 at 01:36 »
I still don't go looking for an oppurtunity to get the rubber ring out but I wouldn't be without it. 
Ben

Cheers Ben I'll add it to my list  :z16 Need a new pair of wading boots first though (as you know  :wink).

Lindsay

Euan Innes

« Reply #23 on: 06/02/2013 at 06:37 »
Need a new pair of wading boots first though

Lindsay,

If you are looking for a pair of boots to use with a float tube, might I suggest a pair of cheap walking boots. Good wading boots for the river have nice expensive felt soles or cleated rubber and these get trashed on the walk from the car to the loch in the Highlands. Walking boots also slide into the flippers easier. £30 - £40 pounds gets you a good pair.  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #24 on: 06/02/2013 at 08:27 »
Lindsay,

If you are looking for a pair of boots to use with a float tube, might I suggest a pair of cheap walking boots. Good wading boots for the river have nice expensive felt soles or cleated rubber and these get trashed on the walk from the car to the loch in the Highlands. Walking boots also slide into the flippers easier. £30 - £40 pounds gets you a good pair.  :z16

Interesting. I use normal walking boots to get to the loch and then change into an oversized pair of cheap "deck shoes" I bought at Tesco. I found them much more comfortable than boots, and at a fiver, it does not matter if I leave them in the float tube back to go mouldy!  :oops

Failing that, I also have a pair of proper diving "fins" that are worn with stocking foot waders, no need for a pair of boots.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #25 on: 06/02/2013 at 09:14 »
. Good wading boots for the river have nice expensive felt soles or cleated rubber and these get trashed on the walk from the car to the loch in the Highlands.

Hi Euan,

Don't totally agree with that.  Tungsten studded rubber wading boots (Orvis Ultralights or something with same sole) are superb for walking in.  Felts are crap for covering any distance over land particularly if it is wet of muddy. 

Cheers

Ben

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #26 on: 06/02/2013 at 11:31 »
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/rock-grip-wading-boots-sticky-studded?p=79326-0-984   :z16

A+++ for walking, fishing, comfort and there's a lip on the back to hold the fins better.  :z16

cheers,
marc

Loxiafan

« Reply #27 on: 06/02/2013 at 14:16 »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all those recs. I was actually meaning a pair of wading boots for my river fishing.....Ben knows just how bad my three year old Airflos are ! Was thinking the Orvis ones with the zips on the side as I hate trying to stuff a wet wading socklet into a  semi-dried out boot (or vice versa).....kinda like trying to stick your foot up a cows ar*e.....I imagine !  :roll

Dave in the shop said the other guid ain's were Orvis' best (Ultralites?) and that the zippy ones were good but "lazy man's wading boots" ! :z4 Well that would be me !  :z16 Ultralites look more robust I must admit.

Lindsay

Alex Burnett

« Reply #28 on: 06/02/2013 at 14:41 »
Lindsay

What you need are a pair of Simms Rivertek Boa Wading Boot

Easy on Easy off

Alex

Ben Dixon

« Reply #29 on: 06/02/2013 at 14:43 »
Hi Lindsay,

The ultralights are easier on & off than the zip boots IMO.  You still need to undo the laces to get the zip boots off.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com