Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

New Snowbee Tube
« on: 01/02/2013 at 20:11 »
Got a 2013 Snowbee catalogue today.........

They appear to be doing a tube for this year which looks to be similar to the Vision Keeper & the last Ron Thomson.  Bladders are listed as replacement parts, comes with a bag, fins, pump etc. It's not up on their site yet but keep any eye out, I would think it will be soon.  Can't remember the price but will get it tomorrow.

Got a V style hull and it looks as if you will be sitting fairly high in the water so will be easy to move around & quick.

Cheers

Ben 

Mike Barrio

Re: New Snowbee Tube
« Reply #1 on: 01/02/2013 at 20:34 »
Yep, same basic design, but looking like a good replacement for the old one, inflatable seat and back rest instead of the foam stuff, improved bladders. New flippers too, with a different rear fitting that is said to be better for wading boots.

Float tube kit ( float tube, pump, flippers and quality storage bag ) £199
Accessories:
Flippers £25
Spare main bladders each £25
Spare seat bladder £10
Spare backrest bladder £12

I'm looking forward to seeing one and having a go :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 01/02/2013 at 20:54 »
Yes, this looks like it could be a serious contender for UK float tubers ...... Excellent stuff :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 01/02/2013 at 21:03 »
Thanks Mike  :z16

I like the look of the design.  It looks like it will ride quite high so make life easy when finning any distance unlike the Shatspeare arse dragger special.
The only thing that bugs me is the valve sticking proud like that.  The valves are the only thing I don't like about the Guideline, one of mine seeps air unless the cap is greased up but at least they are covered up by pockets.  The valves on the similar looking Vision tube were ropey and could be "swiped" off my hand which obviously emptied the bladder in seconds.  Really keen to see one of these  :cool:

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 01/02/2013 at 21:13 »
I'll get one for Haddo Ben :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 02/02/2013 at 09:02 »
.... which obviously emptied the bladder in seconds. 

aye, it's scary when a tube deflates mid-water. I'd be emptying my bowels too...

looks a decent tube though

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 02/02/2013 at 09:36 »
aye, it's scary when a tube deflates mid-water. I'd be emptying my bowels too...

looks a decent tube though

Thankfully, it was on the floor in the shop Iain.  I happened to knock the vavle with my hand and the whole thing just came flying out.  Thread on the valve are far too short IMO.

Cheers

Ben

Loxiafan

« Reply #7 on: 03/02/2013 at 20:27 »
..and could be "swiped" off my hand which obviously emptied the bladder in seconds.

I take it you all wear lifevests for such risks ? I honestly don't think I could get in to one of those rubber rings without 'back-up' ! If so what vests are a good investment.

Tempted by the tube  :X1

Lindsay

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 03/02/2013 at 22:17 »
Lindsay
Its actually a lot safer than fishing from a boat. Having said that , yes its correct that you should wear a life jacket. Any of the collar ones should be fine. I have one of the Englands type auto inflating waist coats and wear that.

:z18

Jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #9 on: 04/02/2013 at 09:04 »
I take it you all wear lifevests for such risks ? I honestly don't think I could get in to one of those rubber rings without 'back-up' ! If so what vests are a good investment.

Tempted by the tube  :X1

Lindsay

I agree with Jim, Lindsay. Both of my tubes have had 4 bladders and I wear a life jacket, so short of a point blank blast from a 12 bore its unlikely that any more than one will fail which gives me plenty time to reach shore.

Given that your backside is on/in the water and your legs sit below you then the chances of getting flpped over is probably les than in a boat. I am an extremley poor sailor, I hate being in boats, even big ones, but I feel safe in my tube in conditions I wouldn't fish from a boat.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 04/02/2013 at 09:35 »
Oh I have a couple of photos of people who have flipped over in a tube.  :z4

Both incidents happened during launch....so be careful!

I also wear a lifejacket and have a 5 bladder model..much safer :)

Peter McCallum

« Reply #11 on: 04/02/2013 at 12:03 »

Both incidents happened during launch....so be careful!

Paul Arden tried to flip a tube over

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/killerwader.shtml

couldn't do it. When landing & setting off you are standing up and can fall over rather than tip the tube. Go in backwards and take care as rob suggests

Allan Liddle

« Reply #12 on: 04/02/2013 at 13:55 »
Yup agree only time your really vulnerable is getting in / out, many a wee moment when doing this, especially in a rush to get at the fish and i've not been paying much attention to a suitable launch area.  Even worse when you're trying to get out in a hurry but that's because if you stay in as long as i do yer bladders gonne be burstin.  :wink :z4 :z4 Bloody sore it can be too.  :shock :shock :z4 :z4

My only other concern when in the 'bag' is where boats are flying around close by you, especially the ones that shove 14 horse engines on the boat and think nothing of opening it right up first chance they get. (Harray Loch)  Bow riding high and someone not really paying attention because they think the bit of water they're on is clear............

Don't see the tube as better than the boat though, just offers something different.  Boats better for sighting fish at distance (as well as obviously getting there quicker), tubes certainly offer more stealth and close control, bank, well wouldn't be the fist time i've ditched the 'bag' to get onto close feeding troots tight on the shore.

One thing that's certain no matter what type of tube, pontoon or arse in the water craft you choose, no sooner are you in when you need the toilet, or worse, no sooner have you managed to get into a crackin fishing position amongsdt the rising troots when..........well you know where i'm heading.

Plenty pockets in the Shakey fur babywipes and bum paper.  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 04/02/2013 at 15:30 »
To clarify...the first "flipper" was a chap Ben knows from his days in Orvis Edinburgh. He is a large chap with plenty of weight up top. He was wading into a local loch up here on a Pike trip. As he stumbled he let go of the tube, so the tube was round his knees which meant he could not step forward to regain balance. Head first, feet up!!

I must find the photo. We spent so long laughing we did not realise he was in difficulty!

The second "launch" was a daft one! The person invoved thought he could enter the water from a small pier in the same why a diver does. Unfortunately, as he lept, the tube caught the pier and flipped him straight over!

There are a few interesting "experiments" online with the same conclusion, once in the tube and sitting, it is very dificult to flip yourself.

Loxiafan

« Reply #14 on: 04/02/2013 at 21:40 »
Cheers, wasn't so worried about capsizing as such, more hook in skin of tube then "psssst" and frantic scramble back to shore.....if I am lucky !

At the mo I wouldn't get any use froma  tube but it is something I hope I could get some use for - maybe buying one would make me get out and justify it !
L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com