Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter Rawlinson

May seem like a silly question but .......
« on: 29/01/2013 at 19:26 »
any one been fly fishing in New York City ?

New York State has some great river and sea fishing , but  in the city there are a few stocked places for c and r ..

It is  an  expensive place so would like  to hear if anyone has tried it , and apart  from the licence how much was it ? . I have got some organised but not sure what to expect . 

Allan Liddle

Re: May seem like a silly question but .......
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/2013 at 13:55 »
Haven't Pete, nearly had a sea fishing trip but it was cancelled cause o crappy weather.
Very interested to hear how you get on though, Mrs is harping on about a return there soon so could make the experience all the more appealing / interesting.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 31/01/2013 at 23:04 »
go for striped bass on the Hudson with shooting heads and streamers instead of those silly ponds...  lots of nice big ones ! :z16

cheers,
marc

Rich Knoles

« Reply #3 on: 02/02/2013 at 02:15 »
I fish in New York every year. Primarily the Steelhead Rivers that flow into Lakes Ontario and Erie. There is a ton of fishing outside the city. The Striper fishing around Long Island Sound is awesome. With these other opportunities I wouldn't consider fishing in a city pond. That said there is no accounting for taste.  :cool:

Rich Knoles

« Reply #4 on: 02/02/2013 at 02:22 »
http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/365.html This ought to get you started

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #5 on: 02/02/2013 at 07:20 »
Thanks guys ,  a city pond is not my choice but may be my only option at the time .  The stripers look good yes I agree , and I am still looking into  fishing for them around  Long Island , but coming back 7th April and I am not sure what the season is like then , seems to start in April .

Is it worth paying for one of thse fishing Guides who charge nearly $200 just to show me where to fish ?   

If it is a choice between a city pond and going around the shops  ( Orvis shop excepted ) then pond it is  . 

Rich Knoles

« Reply #6 on: 02/02/2013 at 15:03 »
Hi Pete,
I don't think Striper season, on the sound, opens until 15 April, so that's probably out.

I don't see any need to hire a guide if you possess basic Trout skills.
Give Rob Ceccarini at Orvis a call 212-827-0698. He'll have the most info on where and what to fish for. 

The Delaware River offers some good SM Bass fishing, you'd have to check seasons.

You could do well on your own in the Catskills for Trout with basic skills. This link is for the Roscoe area, if you Google around a bit  the Catskills you'll find more.
http://www.roscoeny.com/Fishing.htm Two and half hours out of the city. There is a Fly Fishing Museum there also. I was there in August for the Hardy Cup Casting tournament with a Barrio GT line. Great area, wonderful fishing.

There is plenty of Steelhead fishing that you'd only need Trout tactics for and a 7wt or up rod.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com