Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ianmbird

HELP - How to get started with an 8 year old
« on: 02/05/2007 at 09:22 »
"Dad, when can you take me fishing?"

I have an eight year old boy who would love to try out fishing, the only problem is that I have no idea where or how to get started. I have not fished for 20 years & then only occasionally, but he is really up for it & I would like to help him get into the sport ( better than sitting in front of an XBOX)

Has anyone any ideas how we can get started.

Is 8 a good age to start?

Where would be the best place to start?

Where could we get some basic tuition?

I thought it would be better to keep away from rivers/ boats in the beginning as I would like to slightly more 'controlled' environment.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I would love to be able to fulfill his amibtion - but I have no idea where to get started

Jim Eddie

Teaching youngsters
« Reply #1 on: 02/05/2007 at 09:55 »
Ian

Try a PM to GRHE on this site. Paul is an excellent (qualified) instructor and very good with children.

My daughter had a lesson with Paul last year and still talks about it.

Regards

Jim

wildfisher

« Reply #2 on: 02/05/2007 at 10:06 »

« Reply #3 on: 02/05/2007 at 10:33 »
Hi Ian,
What type of fishing is your son looking to do? If its fly then try Paul or some staff at some of the fisheries can give the basics instruction to get you going (and most will let you loan tackle reasonably typically less than a fiver).
You could also go along the line of bait fishing to get him started and move on to fly at a later date if he wants to, there are several trout fisheries that allow any method including Mill of Elrick near auchnagatt, Raemoir nr Banchory, Lochtor at old meldrum and loch insh at colpy or you could try coarse fishing either at Pitfour Fishery or Aboyne loch.

have a look around the main fishing the fly website and look at the differant fisheries and what they offer.

andrew

jock

« Reply #4 on: 02/05/2007 at 18:39 »
hi mate,if its coarse fishing pm me and ill be glad to help if i can,also rob on the site knows his stuff you could also try pming him
all the best
jock

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 03/05/2007 at 08:34 »
I was going to reply yesterday..but forgot..lol. I have some spare gear suitable for 8 year olds..my 6 year old uses a "whip" to knock out roach and perch...loves it. More than willing to meet up at Aboyne or Pitfour for a bash at the coarse fish.

regards
Rob

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 03/05/2007 at 08:55 »
Ian

All of the above is great advice. 8 is probably the perfect age to get them started, they have the motor controls and a bit more patience.
My son loves flyfishing and coarse fishing, they both seem to give him different things. The addictivenes of watching a float and playing with maggots appeals greatly, yet the challenge of catching on the fly is equally appealing, just seems to depend what mood he's in :z6 .
The advice i would give in adddtion to that already provided would be take HIM fishing, let him call the shots for the first few times and give him your undivided attention, you'll find you'll share his enthusiasm and probably get back into it yourself. Point out all the things you notice, wildlife etc and the playstation generation start to be aware of whats happening, its amazing how good their eyesight is at spotting moving objects :cool:
It should be a great experience for both of you, oh yes and i've always found when they ask to go home , take them, otherwise they get fed up and the next time can't be bothered going out, if you go when they want to, they ask to go again almost immediatley, (might just be mine, but i doubt it :grin: )
Being in an enviroment with enthusiastic anglers will inspire confidence too, so get a few lessons if flyfishing and take up some of the guys offers to take you both out. Don't be afraid of boats, daniel's been on the boat since he was 6 no problems, can be fun too sharing the rowing, Haddo and Delagatie are not too daunting either for a start, Mike has plenty suitable tackle to borrow too, as i'm sure so do some of the others :z16

Good luck and have FUN  :cool:

Sandy

Kevin Moss

« Reply #7 on: 03/05/2007 at 23:16 »
The best advice I can give you is First and foremost seek qualified instruction.Paul is an excellent choice.
At 8 years old it is important they get the right level of tuition suitable for his age and has the correct tackle for his size so as he doesnt find it hard and gets bored.Also the first time you can either get them into it for life or destroy any chance of  hime wanting to go again.All Instructors are trained and qualified ,insured,first aid trained and had child protection checks done and done courses to help teach youngsters of all ages and it needs to be done carefully with youngsters and is different from teaching adults and older children.
Its down to you in the end where you choose and who you choose to teach him but qualified is always going to be the correct way to go if you want it done right.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 04/05/2007 at 08:51 »
Am I losing the plot or is it just because of the game fishing up here but when I started fishing it was with a group of mates, a cheap rod and reel and away we went to the local gravel pit to catch roach. No instruction except from my slightly older mate.

The "fun" of fishing was the freedom and the learning side of things. We did out own thing, we read books, we watched other anglers and above all else, we enjoyed it.

Over the years we got better, we saved out pocket money and bought better gear and we got on our push bikes and travelled further afield, fishing for other fish like Tench, Bream and Perch. Every pond you went to there were groups of youngsters fishing...you just don't see that up here  :cry:

Even though I was self taught, I was fishing for the England youth team at 14 and started fly fishing around the same time. Again, no instruction, yet the first time out I had my limit. We just read books, watched and tried things.

Having got a 14 year old and a 6 year old I realise that they don't like to be shown things. They would rather get a brief.."right, heres the rod, this is the bait, here is how you cast"...and then be left to there own devises (watched by myself with the odd helpful "good cast" or "well done") and catch a few fish...and THEN ask "how do i get a bigger fish, how do i cast further, how can i cast a fly"? etc......and thats comming from someone who has been a bike instructor and lecturer for a number of years and is used to "teaching" people..lol

Dont get me wrong..casting instructions etc are important...but for an 8 year old, i just think you need to "hook" him first with the "fun" aspect and THEN when he shows more interest, get him to Paul. He is more likely to stick at it if he manages to get a fish or two under his belt before having to be "taught".

Just my humble opinion  :grin:

wildfisher

« Reply #9 on: 04/05/2007 at 10:10 »
Quote from: "Rob"
Am I losing the plot or is it just because of the game fishing up here but when I started fishing it was with a group of mates, a cheap rod and reel and away we went to the local gravel pit to catch roach. No instruction except from my slightly older mate.

The "fun" of fishing was the freedom and the learning side of things. We did out own thing, we read books, we watched other anglers and above all else, we enjoyed it.

Over the years we got better, we saved out pocket money and bought better gear and we got on our push bikes and travelled further afield, fishing for other fish like Tench, Bream and Perch. Every pond you went to there were groups of youngsters fishing...you just don't see that up here  :cry:

Even though I was self taught, I was fishing for the England youth team at 14 and started fly fishing around the same time. Again, no instruction, yet the first time out I had my limit. We just read books, watched and tried things.

Having got a 14 year old and a 6 year old I realise that they don't like to be shown things. They would rather get a brief.."right, heres the rod, this is the bait, here is how you cast"...and then be left to there own devises (watched by myself with the odd helpful "good cast" or "well done") and catch a few fish...and THEN ask "how do i get a bigger fish, how do i cast further, how can i cast a fly"? etc......and thats comming from someone who has been a bike instructor and lecturer for a number of years and is used to "teaching" people..lol

Dont get me wrong..casting instructions etc are important...but for an 8 year old, i just think you need to "hook" him first with the "fun" aspect and THEN when he shows more interest, get him to Paul. He is more likely to stick at it if he manages to get a fish or two under his belt before having to be "taught".

Just my humble opinion  :grin:

Spot on. The fun must come first. I started off much as you did - float fishing for perch - trout came later. There is however not the same scope as there once was. It really seriously pisses me off when I hear of places that were free fishing to kids  when I was a lad being taken over by selfish b@satrds and run as  sydicates stocked with big trout.  :mad:

As Cat Stevens once said "where do the children play?"

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 04/05/2007 at 12:49 »
I know that Sir Archie at Monymusk allows the kids to fish the "Dam" for free. Not sure what is in it but there appears to be small Brownies and sticklebacks. I think you have to be a resisdent of monymusk though.  :cry:

I guess it keeps them off the river  :wink:

Paul Rankine

Fishing Instruction can be Fun !
« Reply #11 on: 04/05/2007 at 15:39 »
Hi All,
         Thanks for the kind comments guys.Totally agree with the fun fishing comments - not much point doing it otherwise !

Ian give me a phone on 01358 724095 if you like and we can have a chat .

Cheers,

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com