Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Re: Re-stocking for 2013
« Reply #90 on: 24/02/2013 at 10:17 »
DHE is my go to dry and has been for some years now, since Bob's first script on it in FFFT.
Deadly fly that's a lot more versatile than a straight forward dry.

DH version good in sizes down to 14 (below that the deer hair is a bit too bulky and you can't get the shape right)

Snowshoe is good for the smaller sizes, but i prefer switching to the Dirty Duster (another of Bob's) which offers both an excellent dry as well as quite a handy spider.

DHE:

S12 Olive or Nat HE; Deadly early season especially when LDO's, Olive Uprights and MB's are the trout's quarry of choice.
Outstanding as a searching pattern especially in rough water or when nothing much is happening.
However it's brilliant on upland streams through the season where trout are generally 'looking up.'

It is also brilliant in fast water through the season. 
It is versatile in the sense that it can be fished successfully as a nymph or just sub-surface emerging pattern as well, crippled ones fished 'Duo' style are deadly, especially when you fish the two dry set up i tend to use. (I've even been known to pull the wings off, leaving a wee stump in order to present a fly that sits literally just below the surface, but in truth all you really need do is stick a few chewed ones into the corner of the box)

Again in fast water, especially if you've turned a fish or covered one to no response, simply spit on the fly and pitch it (no drying false cast or just hit the water hard to drown it if you don't fancy gobbing on the fly  :z4) so it fishes through as a wet, dead run first couple casts then fig 8 retrieve if that dosen't work.  Hold in tight.

Heavy wing patterns good for duo, but agree Klinks are better, however if you fish the style with the DHE on a dropper it sits correctly and you can see it better.

Tie it with Orvis light blue comparadun DH for a crackin BWO pattern s14, great for late May through June, and again late August (upland waters) through September.

Dirty Duster is another excellent and very versatile fly.  Again great as a straight forward dry, but also with the ability to be fished as a spider.  Excellent for downstream work in a big wind when olives are being 'pushed' by the wind and 'drowned' by the wave action meaning fish are more responsive to 'swinging dries' (yes i know what the books say, but this really does work better in these conditions for all but the most sheltered , usually in the slack water margins, and 'locked on' fish)
Probably not as good for fooling 'Rod Benders' but great for general fishing.
That said i had two grilse last season in the space of a few casts fishing the DD wet, so you never know.

I wouldn't say it's an out and out spider, and traditional patterns probably much better if you're setting out to fish this style, what i am merely trying to highlight is the versatility of a pattern that allows you to try something different instantly when on the water.

Also try it with an underbody of pearly lurex with black dubbed body over in 12's 14's or 16's on lochs as it's a brilliant Buzzer Emerger patern for loch dry work.  Not too bad as a Black Gnat imitation either.

There's no flies ever tied that cover all bases, however these two come pretty close. 

If anyone's down at the GAC Open Event this coming weekend, give's a shout as i'll be trying these flies amongst others.

All that's left for me to say is a huge Thanks to Bob, changed my approach, simple is best.

Regards

Allan L

I'll follow this up with a couple of SBS on both.  :z16

Loxiafan

« Reply #91 on: 24/02/2013 at 23:38 »
I've never used DHE in anything bigger that size 14 so will maybe have to try a 12 !  :z16 Did use 16's a lot last year and managed with fine coastal DH, but tended to aim for a sparse, almost vertical wing and ginked liberally !

L

Irvine Ross

« Reply #92 on: 25/02/2013 at 19:03 »
I've never used DHE in anything bigger that size 14 so will maybe have to try a 12 ! 
L

Lindsay

You sure will. I only use size12 when LDOs and March browns are hatching. Maybe you have only little runts on the lower river but up above Alford they are big.

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #93 on: 25/02/2013 at 19:14 »
I agree Irvine, large fish were taken last season on big DHE's.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #94 on: 25/02/2013 at 21:14 »
I only use size12 when LDOs and March browns are hatching. Maybe you have only little runts on the lower river but up above Alford they are big.

No, no runts. I actually checked my fly box and I have 4 size 12's from last season...but they were unused ! My "dun" size for LDO is size 17  :shock It is rarely refused ! I use size 14 DHE as an all rounder. I have always been of the school use a size smaller than the natural and it is no bad thing but this talk of wallopers on size 12 and 10 DHE's might make me have a rethink. They do look 'obsence' though, sorta thing a Yank would toss at a troot !  :z4

Ofta buy some size 12 2200BL-B's !

Lindsay

Allan Liddle

« Reply #95 on: 26/02/2013 at 20:15 »
Funny that i'm thinking of fishing smaller.  :shock
Still i might just have to continue to think like a Yank.  :z4
If you think this is big, what about the 12 longshank Turk's Tri's for upland or rough stream prospecting, or size 8 sproat Veyatie Blacks ginked and aimed at Danica feeders on our big mayfly venues.
B100's and squash the barb on the vice Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #96 on: 26/02/2013 at 20:58 »
Funny that i'm thinking of fishing smaller.  :shock...B100's and squash the barb on the vice Lindsay

Size 16 was my best DHE last season by a long way. Have ordered 12's in my preferred Varivas but also put down for some B100's and aye I always debarb.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Allan Liddle

« Reply #97 on: 27/02/2013 at 14:28 »
Might have just been me, but three rapid losses on trophies (rod benders) in two outings with the Vivaris hooks very quickly had them relegated back into the corner of the box and the B100's back off the subs bench.
Even the capture of a rod bender on the vivaris prior to the losses didn't sway it or even stay my hand, and with the way it was last year it wasn't long before another opportunity came along on the 100's.

Very probably coincidental, but once you've that wee doubt in there..................

Loxiafan

« Reply #98 on: 27/02/2013 at 15:54 »
Must admit not had any real probs with Varivas 2200BL's so far except one that opened a bit on a 1 pounder - fish still landed ! The 3lb Broonies, 3 lb Sea Troots, no problems.  :z8  I wonder if there are bad batches ? But you are right Allan, if you have any doubts bin them ! Same with tippet.

Lindsay

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #99 on: 27/02/2013 at 17:54 »
I wonder if there are bad batches ?
oh yes, and when that happens it can be dozens/hundreds of thousands of hooks dispersed around the globe...
i've had straightening-out issues with some Varivas hooks. not going back to those models for sure.

cheers,
marc

Loxiafan

« Reply #100 on: 28/02/2013 at 11:58 »
i've had straightening-out issues with some Varivas hooks. not going back to those models for sure.

It's a funny business this fishing mularkey isn't it ! :z4 You guys have probably lost more fish than I have caught on these hooks but I really like them; they are lightweight, but relatively strong IMO, have a great profile and excellent hook-up rate due to the gape and shape - I also seem to drop very few if any fish on them  :z15

No doubt the B100's are an excellent, stronger hook, but they are heavier and the 'bum' does not sit quite so deep them AFAIK. I also use the TMC212Y's and they also seem a good lightweight hook in this style. I will tie some DHE's on B100's though (actually the first fish I caught with a DHE was a B100).

Cheers,

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #101 on: 28/02/2013 at 15:30 »
I tied up around 60 spiders last year, all on the "new" Partridge spider hooks. Have to say, never again!!

Even small fish (talking 6-8 inches) managed to deform the hook when used with a 4 weight 10 foot Western and 2.3 tippet...so hardly stout gear.

Very unhappy, so now started to use the Partridge SLD hook for spiders as they are still light, but seem stronger.

Never had an issue with Varivas.

Loxiafan

« Reply #102 on: 28/02/2013 at 16:24 »
I tied up around 60 spiders last year, all on the "new" Partridge spider hooks. Have to say, never again!!

Even small fish (talking 6-8 inches) managed to deform the hook when used with a 4 weight 10 foot Western and 2.3 tippet...so hardly stout gear.

:shock Shockarooney ! Not had a prob (so far) with them, just shows you  :z8 Intraweb is full of anti SLD and 103BL stuff though.....

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #103 on: 28/02/2013 at 19:58 »
I've not had problems with either type of hooks.
Infact i've had rainbows up to 6lb on 6wt gear with SLD hooks and no issues. I love them. :z3

Rob

You should really take the 6-8" broonies off the Spider hooks and use your Cutting points to mount them on before you fish for Pike's  :z4  :z4

Sandy

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #104 on: 05/03/2013 at 11:39 »

Sandy,
I am currently in Angola on business but will be on the Spey and the Dee next week so I have been filling in time between meetings making a few tubes on the desk in my hotel room.

Eddie.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com