Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: Re-stocking for 2013
« Reply #75 on: 20/02/2013 at 09:02 »
JT this JT that!   ZX2

2 separate stages of tied in lead wire? supergluin' and flattening?

Tie a PTN and use up the saved time to read up on CDC Gel  :z7 :X2

@ Iain, ah, but the flattening gives the nymph some scope as a Hepta as well, and takes no time really ! Also, curved hook looks better to me for some reason - maybe even works as a scud/shrimp thingy. If it is all the same, I will take 7 times English River Champion as gospel  :wink Your nymph is excellent though  :z16

@ Alex, cheeky boy, now that you are also a 'believer' your CDC is the 'wrong' colour for a JT Olive, tsk tsk !   :wink  :z4

Lindsay Tierack ( Chairman of JT Fanclub Scottish Branch).

Loxiafan

« Reply #76 on: 20/02/2013 at 10:17 »
If Carlsberg made flies, then it'd be this one:

The jury is out on this one though, certainly for Don:

Crap pic of my MB nymph ala JT et Iain Goolager:

Just got my PTN's and larger DHE's to do and all set for early season !

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #77 on: 20/02/2013 at 10:35 »
If it is all the same, I will take 7 times English River Champion as gospel

LT  :z4 :z4 you make me laugh, you rascal you!

by the way, my tungsten beaded, lead wrapped thoraxed MB nymph is heavier so is therefore a better 'stoneclinger' than yours  :z7

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #78 on: 20/02/2013 at 11:15 »
Yep, yours defo a bit heavier, but the "double wrapped" one (lead on abdo and then thorax x2) is actually pretty heavy but certainly no depth charge.

Actually looking at "my" JT Olive with reference to your excellent MB cripple I have had a kind of epiphany  :shock I always thought the forward sloping wing on a JT was really unrepresentative of a Dun (with its backward sloping wings) but it has never seemed to bother the fish ! But I wonder in the effectiveness (efficacy ?) of this fly is due to it's vulnerability ? With no collar hackle it rides low in the water or even in the surface (the moleskin soaks water) and the forward sloping wings might be representative of a cripple ? Either way it seems a "generalist" pattern.

Just been reading my Bob Wyatt stuff and this certainly echoes his philosophy of triggers and vulnerablity and what equates as "easy" trout food. I'm gonna tie some JT's in 12's maybe 10's OMG  :shock to test this theory during a MB hatch. I reckon my big JT could do the same job as a cripple/emerger pattern. Maybe.

Nice One.

Linzer

PS I am going to carry my CDC Gel so if I bump in to on the river you can prep a JT for me ! That said, fake FF from USA has turned up and looks the Sh1t from what I can tell.....and loads of it !

Iain Cameron

« Reply #79 on: 20/02/2013 at 12:56 »
If Carlsberg made flies, then it'd be this one:

The jury is out on this one though, certainly for Don:

Crap pic of my MB nymph ala JT et Iain Goolager:

Just got my PTN's and larger DHE's to do and all set for early season !

all very nice flies, Mr TieRack. Like the light catching the fibres on the legs of the nymph.

Middle one... you can always tweak it (cripple it?!) by snipping off all the hackle beneath the shank... eeek!

Loxiafan

« Reply #80 on: 20/02/2013 at 13:13 »
Middle one... you can always tweak it (cripple it?!) by snipping off all the hackle beneath the shank... eeek!

Yes Iain, was thinking clipped hackle myself just looking at it earlier ! I think (?) the Clyde/Tweed guys will often tease the hackle in to an almost spent spinner type arrangement but vertical rather horizontal. It sure looks good on the water but I wonder if it is just too big a target for our Don trutta ?

Any of you guys tried a size 10 (!) DHS ala Bob W for a MB Dun ? He says it works well on the Don, so I guess it works !

L

Alex Burnett

« Reply #81 on: 20/02/2013 at 13:41 »

@ Alex, cheeky boy, now that you are also a 'believer' your CDC is the 'wrong' colour for a JT Olive, tsk tsk !   :wink  :z4
Lindsay Tierack ( Chairman of JT Fanclub Scottish Branch).

No just a bad photo, here is one taken today in daylight.

Olive on the left Olive Dun on the right.  :wink

Alex

Loxiafan

« Reply #82 on: 20/02/2013 at 14:21 »
Nice CdC Alex. I use 'Dark Brown' Swiss (which looks dark brown) and River Academy Cdc for JT Olive. Looks wrong in the hand but right on the water ! I reckon Dun would work too....

L

Alex Burnett

« Reply #83 on: 20/02/2013 at 14:24 »
My plan Lindsay is to tie up 1 doz of each on size 17 & 19 103BL hooks & see what the fish prefer.
I feel it will depend on the hatch & the light conditions at the time.  :wink

No doubt Iain (Mr G) will be telling me I am tying in bulk again  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Alex

Loxiafan

« Reply #84 on: 20/02/2013 at 14:34 »
My plan Lindsay is to tie up 1 doz of each on size 17 & 19 103BL hooks & see what the fish prefer.
I feel it will depend on the hatch & the light conditions at the time.  :wink

No doubt Iain (Mr G) will be telling me I am tying in bulk again  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

These are quick as hell to tie so yes by the dozen for me too ! 17 good for LDO (but 19 too), 21 for BWO etc in summer  :z16

L

Loxiafan

« Reply #85 on: 20/02/2013 at 20:53 »
Another "must have" Bob Wyatt's DHE size 14 long wing version, tied the "neat" way eg. butts not trimmed on exterior. Outfishes Klink (for me) but not as useful for Duo. Great prospecting fly too.

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #86 on: 20/02/2013 at 21:50 »
Another "must have" Bob Wyatt's DHE size 14 long wing version, tied the "neat" way eg. butts not trimmed on exterior. Outfishes Klink (for me) but not as useful for Duo. Great prospecting fly too.

Lindsay

Nice, very nice! :z16
Cheers
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #87 on: 21/02/2013 at 08:25 »

Lindsay

Lindsay

You let the secret out  :X1 That is the only dry fly you need on the Don until the end of May. After that a parachute Adams and an elk hair caddis will do fine. Dump all those CdeC things. Ian doesn't really use them, he just posts photographs of them on the forum to confuse the opposition :wink

Irvine

Peter McCallum

« Reply #88 on: 21/02/2013 at 08:27 »
In a size 14 have you tried using snowshoe hare foot as a wing Lindsay? Finer and better floating IMHO, I think Bob Wyatt uses it in some flies now

Peter

Loxiafan

« Reply #89 on: 21/02/2013 at 13:23 »
@ Irvine Ssshhh, of course there are other flies that work on the Don early season !  :wink Tbh I had other flies that outfished the DHE at times last season  :roll It is also a fly folk find difficult to tie and also to fish with out cocking, apparently. So my advice, STAY AWAY unless you are a professional  :z4 Re Goolager, I spent (limited) time on the bank with him early season and can confirm he does not fish a DHE, but he has all kinds of stuff in his fly box ! Iain definitely fishes CdC patterns extensively as it then fully justifies his Veniards CDC Gel 'habit'  :z4

@ Peter, yes have tried the SHE, in fact there must be loads of two legged Hares going about judging by how many I have in my FT bag ( I do hope they are sustainable). However, at size 14 I still prefer Deer Hair, as I can gauge the clump better and know to remove the underfur with a wee comb - I find the SHE harder to tie, as it is difficult to get the right bulk to tie in eg. how much underfur to remove. Shame someone that knows what they are doing couldn't show me how - even Bobs vid doesn't help much in this respect ! I will be using it more this season though.  :z16

Cheers,

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com