Re: Re-stocking for 2013
« Reply #45 on: 18/02/2013 at 00:23 »
Nice Spiders Lindz,

On the topic of MB's.....

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #46 on: 18/02/2013 at 00:31 »
Very tidy Iain, nice looking flee! Is that wee puff of cdc meant to keep it afloat?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #47 on: 18/02/2013 at 00:42 »
Hi Baz  :z16

With a drop of CDC Gel this puppy will float bo problem.

Without going back through all the CDC Gel/Oil stuff............I used to tie all CDC flies with 5 feathers due to my infuriation with CDC flies drowning, now it's 3 for 95% of the time and 4 if a particularly heavy hook or dressing.

Iain

Note: was referring to general early season Olive/ upwing patterns with the 3 feathers reference, smaller patterns e.g. F flies imitating smaller olives can have 2 or a single feather.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #48 on: 18/02/2013 at 00:52 »
What hook are you using in thon foto??

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #49 on: 18/02/2013 at 12:42 »
super-nice one, Iain !  :z16

Alex Burnett

« Reply #50 on: 18/02/2013 at 20:07 »
Well I've made a start to Tying up some Tungsten Nymphs.

@Spiderman - Yes they are Barbless  :wink

@Goolager - I have only tied up 8 of each instead of 12's.  :z4

Alex

Loxiafan

« Reply #51 on: 18/02/2013 at 21:21 »
Great MB cripple Iain, is that a tested pattern for you or a prospective one. I reckon a size 12 JT Olive would work too ? Have been working on my MB nymphs, a few possibly needing a haircut but happy with size and profile ! Carp pic again, dunno what is happening..

Iain Goolager

« Reply #52 on: 18/02/2013 at 22:03 »
Lindz,

enough already with the pages from  'A pictorial Guide to British Ephemeroptera' By Craig Macadam & Cyril Bennett

very nice flies though  :z16 , I take it you're splitting your thread for 'dubbing' the CDC legs? only I can't tell because you are concentrating more on featuring the picture of the nymph as displayed in the publication 'A pictorial Guide to British Ephemeroptera' By Craig Macadam & Cyril Bennett  :z7
What's the body material?
Are you using oiler puffs for the thorax/legs combo?

Alex,

Nice weighted nymphs there  :z16, you will have to do some small ones, which I have found handy for when the rivers down to it's bones.

Iain

Alex Burnett

« Reply #53 on: 18/02/2013 at 22:25 »
What you calling small Mr G?  :wink

Alex

Iain Goolager

« Reply #54 on: 18/02/2013 at 23:02 »
size 18 with a 1.5mm tungsten bead and I have gone down to size 20 (fished duo method) with a 1mm (if memory serves me well) tungsten bead, but 18 defo.

Iain

Jan Keur

« Reply #55 on: 18/02/2013 at 23:04 »
Bonny Spiders and catchy nymphs Dan!!

Thanks for sharing the pics and the info about the barbless Veniard hooks!!

Gonna try to get some too!

Gr

Jan

Alex Burnett

« Reply #56 on: 18/02/2013 at 23:06 »
Cheers Iain,

I was planning on #16's with a 2mm bead next but will grab some 1.5mm beads & go down to #18's.

Alex

Loxiafan

« Reply #57 on: 18/02/2013 at 23:15 »
very nice flies though  :z16 , I take it you're splitting your thread for 'dubbing' the CDC legs? Are you using oiler puffs for the thorax/legs combo?

Hook: Size 12 FO Curved Barbless Standard
Weight: Orvis fine lead, two layers at thorax and flattened in vice
Body :Pheasant Tail
Tail: Coq de Leon Achonada....Anchovy or something
Rib: Fine Gold Wire
Wing Case: Brown Scudback
Thorax: Hare Fur
Legs: CDC Puffs (split thread)

It is basically JT's  :oops MB Nymph but using your oiler puffs (maybe you should tell JT ?  :wink).

Book used just to show scale and profile  :wink Will try a better in the vice pic tomorrow in sunlight.

BTW "Jingler" as in the Tweed/Clyde dry fly thingy, not an adapter dry - nae idea whit that is !  :z8

L

Iain Goolager

« Reply #58 on: 18/02/2013 at 23:20 »
 Yeah, 16's too Alex.

Last season, I'll not go into great detail but on 3 occasions I watched pods of Trout in low clear water inspecting my emergers, spiders and nymphs (14's) really interesting but infuriating. After exhausting the usual suspects I trolled my fly box for anything suitably small and unobtrusive. Nil Joy, until rifling through my waistcoat I came across a hook box with some wee nymphs size 20, basically a Hares Ear with an orange collar. Threw the fly out and 1st cast................nowt happened  :z7 but either second or third cast a fish took, splashed about and was off.
No point after that as they had all vanished but at least I got a fish to take, may have been the pattern but I'm convinced that size was more important.

Be prepared  dib dib dib

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #59 on: 18/02/2013 at 23:23 »
not an adapter dry - nae idea whit that is !

And I'll no be telling you either. 

FO  :roll  mind's gone blank, help me out, what make?

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com