Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: Re-stocking for 2013
« Reply #15 on: 23/01/2013 at 00:11 »
Drowned dries swung like wets can be very productive too :wink

Yup, a CDC and Elk Size 12 swinging subsurface netted me a 3 lb BT and ST in 2011  :oops I honestly think fish take a submerged CDC and Elk as a Minnow (as well as Caddis) and sma' ones will snap at it on the retrieve (for all you competition anglers that might get desperate !). However, aesthetically it is like playing a violin with a cheesegrater compared with the dolce tones of upstream spidering/dries !

Of, course I am strictly upstream dry fly now you understand ! No offence taken Marc, afterall I am a reformed 'swinger' these days  :wink The boy Johann's vids are very good IMO, the stuff in Sweden and Norway is pretty cool  :z16

On a typical early Spring Don day with no fish showing you either sit out waiting for a hatch ( as I did last season) or you drown wets and nymphs and search (me this season) !

L

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #16 on: 24/01/2013 at 14:23 »

On a typical early Spring Don day with no fish showing you either sit out waiting for a hatch ( as I did last season) or you drown wets and nymphs and search (me this season) !

:z4 :z4 :z4

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 24/01/2013 at 16:25 »
I've been at it this afternoon as well.
With thoughts of summer evenings keeping me warm, i've started to fill my sea-trout/summer salmon box.

Some of my favourites to start, Medicine, Black Grouse, Thunder and Lightning.

Once i add a few Stoats in Various guises i should be set :z16

Sandy

danbruce

« Reply #18 on: 24/01/2013 at 16:52 »
Very nice Sandy! :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 24/01/2013 at 17:11 »
Cracking flies Sandy! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #20 on: 24/01/2013 at 18:41 »
Nice sparse flies there, they should be ideal for low water during the summer.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: 24/01/2013 at 18:58 »
Thanks guys

The flies are actually sparser than they look in the pictures.
Being grouped together seems to make them look heavier.
Still I'm happy to have my vice set up again  :z16

They are size 12 and 14 VMC doubles  :z16

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #22 on: 25/01/2013 at 09:33 »
it's the grey foam that makes them look denser, Sandy. regardless, they're loverly !  :z16

cheers,
marc

danbruce

« Reply #23 on: 26/01/2013 at 20:05 »
Continuing to fill my boxes for the start of the season, this time it is some tubes....

All 1.5" brass tubes
Top: Gold Bodied Willie Gunn
Middle: Ice Maiden
Bottom: Black and Yellow

Just need to to make some slightly smaller ones and also add some Black and Yellow tubes but with Sliver bodies and i am ready to go get me a springer. :z4

Dan

Loxiafan

« Reply #24 on: 29/01/2013 at 20:41 »
I really like those bare doubles Sandy, absolutely cracking - might have to do a few wee ones like that myself ! Good tying Dan, hope you connect with that Springer dude !  :z16

L

Allan Liddle

« Reply #25 on: 30/01/2013 at 13:57 »
Yup, a CDC and Elk Size 12 swinging subsurface netted me a 3 lb BT and ST in 2011  :oops I honestly think fish take a submerged CDC and Elk as a Minnow (as well as Caddis) and sma' ones will snap at it on the retrieve (for all you competition anglers that might get desperate !). However, aesthetically it is like playing a violin with a cheesegrater compared with the dolce tones of upstream spidering/dries !

Of, course I am strictly upstream dry fly now you understand ! No offence taken Marc, afterall I am a reformed 'swinger' these days  :wink The boy Johann's vids are very good IMO, the stuff in Sweden and Norway is pretty cool  :z16

L

Bob Wyatt's Dirty Duster deadly as a mixed dry / swinging wet when required.  DHE not bad in fast water, a good wee minor tactic is to hit the water hard to drown it and run it through just sub surface, especially if you've turned a fish on it previously.  Sorry if i'm giving it how to suck eggs btw.  :oops

Allan Liddle

« Reply #26 on: 30/01/2013 at 14:03 »
PS Cracking looking flees Sandy, would work a treat on the Spey i bet.

Oh and another wee minor tactic with the DHE, if some fish are coming but shying away, whilst others are still taking well (especially during early hatch stages) then NZ style with another DHE on the tail, only clip the wing right down to a stump, or rip it off leaving a few wee sparse hairs in place.  Fish will often take it this way as an emerging nymph.

Sometimes works if a fish isn't playing ball and giving you the run arouns as well.  For me if this dosen't work then i just lob in a boulder and move onto the next target.  :z4 :z4

Mark Zhang

« Reply #27 on: 31/01/2013 at 09:30 »
Thanks for your help. I think it's time to  :z2 and catch the  :z15. Can't wait the season to start. Thanks again.  :z18

Regards,

Mark

Loxiafan

« Reply #28 on: 31/01/2013 at 13:17 »
... then NZ style with another DHE on the tail, only clip the wing right down to a stump, or rip it off leaving a few wee sparse hairs in place.  Fish will often take it this way as an emerging nymph.

I notice in his new tome Wyatt has a Wee Hair Emerger which sounds like just the ticket for that tactic Allan (and to save blootering those 'sometimes hard to get right' upright Deer Hair Emerger wings) ! He also mentions the Don Brown Trout Fishing with absolute reverance calling it a "technical river" ! His prefered killing fly for the Don is a size 10 DHS to ape a March Brown Dun/Emerger (never tried that tactic, but will now !).

But you will know this anyway as you have the book, hopefully of interest to others !

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #29 on: 31/01/2013 at 18:56 »
Some cracking sparse doubles and heavy tubes.  :z16

I need to get the vise out.

The clock is ticking

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com