Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

danbruce

Re-stocking for 2013
« on: 20/01/2013 at 15:47 »
Well with this rubbish weather keeping me indoors i decided to start re-stocking my river fly boxes.
Still got along way to go but i thought i would share a few of my flies/patterns with you all:

Spiders (used these for the majority of my fishing last season)

Nymphs (Never fished nymphs on the river before so thought i had better give it a go)

Sorry about the poor photos. :z4

cheers,

Dan

Iain Goolager

Re: Re-stocking for 2013
« Reply #1 on: 20/01/2013 at 20:02 »
Perfect for the Browns Dan,

Nicely done

Iain

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 20/01/2013 at 22:25 »
top stuff Dan  :z16
could you please tell me what the two top left spider's barbless hooks are ?
they look nice and heavier-wired than most.

cheers,
marc

danbruce

« Reply #3 on: 20/01/2013 at 22:42 »
Cheers Iain and Marc,

The spider in the top left is tied on a size 14 veniard wet fly hook.
http://www.veniard.com/product2448/section181/

Cheers,
Dan

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #4 on: 21/01/2013 at 07:51 »
thanks a lot, Dan !  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 21/01/2013 at 08:35 »
Going through the same process. My daughter bought me one of those "brown trout" coloured fly boxes so its slowly getting filled with river patterns.

One side is done with Czech Nymphs, Shrimp and caddis patterns, the other side is quarter filled with tiny spiders.

My god does it take a while!

Mark Zhang

« Reply #6 on: 22/01/2013 at 11:36 »
Spiders (used these for the majority of my fishing last season)

Thanks for sharing these flies. Could you tell me how to fishing these Spider flies, please? Should I cast it upstream, then drift it or cast cross the river and drift it. I tried a lot last year, but couldn't contact the fish. I guess I did something wrong,  :z8   Cheers.  :z14

Regars,

Mark

danbruce

« Reply #7 on: 22/01/2013 at 12:33 »
No problem Mark,

I had a bit of success fishing these across and down, square to the river and down and upstream and dead drifted down. I wouldn't say i found one method more effective than another but i am sure some would disagree.

Hopefully some of the more experienced guys on here will give their views on this.

Cheers,

Dan 

Loxiafan

« Reply #8 on: 22/01/2013 at 13:51 »
Thanks for sharing these flies. Could you tell me how to fishing these Spider flies, please? Should I cast it upstream, then drift it or cast cross the river and drift it. I tried a lot last year, but couldn't contact the fish. I guess I did something wrong,  :z8   Cheers.  :z14

Hi Mark,

Way more experienced "spidermen" on here than me but as a reformed "swinger" (of the wet fly !) I can share a couple of ideas. Firstly, all methods upstream, across and down even the "dangle" (  :shock) will all work......yes I once took a 1.5 lb wild brownie from the Fife Leven on the dangle and a few taken on the retrieve whilst getting ready to recast  :oops

What I like to think about is the context eg. how the fish are feeding or not, and what they are feeding on too ! If trout are bulging to emergers then upstream would be my choice - here you want your spiders to fish almost like dries, in the surface film or no more than a couple of inches below the surface. You will see the fish take and you tighten. You could use a short sight indicator, but most folks don't. Short line tactics are preferable and this may mean wading (which rules out some stretches). Ideally only fish one or two rod lengths and raise the rod/let it drift past you over your shoulder as the spiders drift back towards you (others may not do this). If the trout are giving splashy rises to Duns then same tactic should work but you can also try fishing across stream (at a slight upstream angle) and let the flies drift drag free.

If you turn up and no fish are showing/not feeding on surface then you could fish 'across and down' as a searching method. Here the spiders can be manipulated to fish deeper with multiple mends, so you can really control the depth they fish (a bead head nymph on point can help). The crucial bit is often "the swing" where the belly of the line pulls round from 45 degrees down stream from you to directly below you. This causes the flies, which will be fishing deeper, to 'lift' through the water column and is often when a fish will grab one. With this method the fish often hook themselves but try to fish as short a line as you can to limit how many you drop - this takes discipline as you can really empty your reel with this method when giving line to mend etc. The skill with this method ( yes, there is some !) is in knowing where fish will be lying by reading the water, and of course fishing your flies through that area in the correct part of the water column.

Hopefully one of the guys that really know what they are doing will pitch in too.

Lindsay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 22/01/2013 at 15:44 »

Hopefully one of the guys that really know what they are doing will pitch in too.

Don't think there is much need, you have it in a nutshell :z16 I fish mine to suit the conditions, almost exactly as Lindsay describes, anything else is just a quirk :z18

Sandy

Marc Fauvet

Re: Re-stocking for 2013 New
« Reply #10 on: 22/01/2013 at 16:43 »
hi Mark,
 to add to Lindsay's excellent response here's a little piece i wrote a while back but more importantly an Oliver Edwards video showing how to fish wets  upstream and across.
as him, i'll mostly fish up or across and rarely downstream for the reasons he mentions  (and not at all from any tradition-minded approach but like Olly says, bugs do rise from the bottom towards the top but they don't do this against the current) however i'll gladly fish downstream on slow glides...   :wink)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

cheers,
marc

Loxiafan

« Reply #11 on: 22/01/2013 at 21:29 »
As Marc say's Ollies vid is definitely worth checking out for Spiders (though he is more successful fishing to rising fish as I recall ??). For an alternative view I'd highly recommend the DVD by FishOn Productions "Early Season Trout" - more of the 'across and down' searching method demonstrated there ( and very sucessfully too !). I swear at one point Dean Andrews catches one on the dangle ! John Tyzack always has a very sound tactical slant to his approaches which I like - guess that is why he is the 'best' river fisher in the UK !

Perhaps best of all is another offering, though less well known : "Wet Fly Fishing" by Johan Klingberg - Klingberg shadows Paul Procter on the Wharfe and it is very informative as to how he fishes traditional spiders. Some great clips of Paul fishing very Don-like stretches and casting to rising fish 'up and across'. Interestingly Paul does not rule out the across and down, swing, induced-take method and neither does Klingberg who fishes that way on the day and freely admits many of his best fish are caught this way !

It all comes down to aesthetics I guess, but water conditions and the fishes behaviour play a part too.

Cheers,

Lindsay

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #12 on: 22/01/2013 at 23:25 »
hi Lindsay,
Johan and i talked a lot about his wets approach. he's very open-minded and eager to to try any method. it was an enlightening discussion. i particularly like his upstream/across and downstream all on the same drift !  :z13 (it's in the film)

as you might have seen by my recent grayling fly, i have no ethics so that's not my issue with downstream...  :z4 :grin :z4
what i forgot to mention on the previous post is i've noticed fishing them downstream on clear waters is often a good way to put the fish on a higher alert level. they're maybe not spooked enough to run away but they're often no longer in a playing mood.
generally speaking (because there's always exceptions) this phenomenon occurs much less or not at all on the tannin-rich rivers as can be found in the northern climes i've experienced such as Scotland or Sweden.
so, water clarity is another factor to consider.

cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 22/01/2013 at 23:48 »
I prefer to fish them upstream and just sub-surface whenever I can, the fishing is so much more visual when the trout are higher in the water ..... but time and time again, the Don trout are not so willing to show themselves and down and across is far more effective.

When I first started fishing the Don, I must confess that I was surprised to see so many anglers fishing their trout flies just like salmon flies, but a couple of years down the line I realised that this was possibly the most productive method on the river :oops

Drowned dries swung like wets can be very productive too :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #14 on: 22/01/2013 at 23:54 »
Cheers Iain and Marc,

The spider in the top left is tied on a size 14 veniard wet fly hook.
http://www.veniard.com/product2448/section181/

Cheers,
Dan

Nice flies Dan, I'm restocking my own boxes with flies tied on Veniard Ospreys for this season.  Will also be using the saltwater hooks, very similar to Tiemco 811s but less than half the price.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com