Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Brown Trout - New ADAA Rulings etc
« on: 14/01/2013 at 20:58 »
Good news.  :grin ADAA will be bring in a ruling for 2013 that all Brown Trout over 18 inches are to be released ! Last season in was only a 'recommendation' that Brown Trout over 2 lbs should (sic) be returned. Well done to the commitee for this new ruling that will stop the killing of at least some of the Don wild stock. I do hope they will go further in future seasons and move to total C+R especially as the river is no longer being stocked, but this is another step in that direction and should be welcomed. Not applicable to Sea Trout from what I can gather  :roll

Last season on Association water I saw Brown Trout in excess of 2 lbs being chapped and heard instances of it from others - plus from photos on the Web. Okay, they weren't breaking any rules, but from now on, if any angler sees 'big' brown trout being killed then the angler responsible will be in breach of rules and can be reported for disciplinary action.

Some tightening up on Salmon too which is good, just wish the Dee was made 100% C+R like the rest of the beats but I guess changes take time.

Lindsay

Geoff Gill

Re: Brown Trout - New ADAA Rulings etc
« Reply #1 on: 15/01/2013 at 08:09 »
Good to hear, another step in the right direction in my eyes  :z16

Geoff

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 15/01/2013 at 11:18 »
Encouraging to see the ADAA showing the way with a most sensible rule that should be spread across the whole river. Excellent news  :z16

H :z3

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 15/01/2013 at 19:04 »
Well done the ADAA  :X1

Is it also a case that they must be returned alive or dead?

Good to hear from you Lindsay, you old sea dog.

Iain

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 15/01/2013 at 20:48 »
Good news.  :grin ADAA will be bring in a ruling for 2013 that all Brown Trout over 18 inches are to be released ! ...
Some tightening up on Salmon too which is good...

The Aberdeen & District Angling Association (ADAA) revised rules for 2013 are at http://www.adaa.org.uk/commClubrules.php

cheers
iain

Mark Zhang

« Reply #5 on: 16/01/2013 at 17:22 »
Could anyone help me to find out how much cost for jointing ADAA as a Senior, please? I saw the list on their website before, but couldn't find it now. Is it much cheaper than adult? Cheers. :z16

Regards,

Mark

Iain Cameron

« Reply #6 on: 16/01/2013 at 17:42 »
Could anyone help me to find out how much cost for jointing ADAA as a Senior, please? I saw the list on their website before, but couldn't find it now. Is it much cheaper than adult? Cheers. :z16

Mark

hi Mark

The Senior fee for for last season (2012) was £95. Junior fee was £40, adult was £190.

Please note that fees for 2013 are yet to be announced, but will be confirmed at the AGM on Wed 30 Jan, to which all ADAA members are invited.

This was on the FAQ page at http://www.adaa.org.uk/faqs.php (but wasn't on the application form page, so you are right, it wasn't easy to find).

yours
Iain

Mark Zhang

« Reply #7 on: 17/01/2013 at 10:37 »
Hi Iain,

Thanks. After read the artile, I realise that my friend can't joint the club as a senior since he's never jointed the club before. Now he is 65, but he has to pay as an adult member for next 5 years I think. Is it a little bite of unusual?  :z8 Thanks again.

Regards,

Mark

Loxiafan

« Reply #8 on: 18/01/2013 at 00:25 »
Well done the ADAA  :X1

Is it also a case that they must be returned alive or dead?

Good to hear from you Lindsay, you old sea dog.

To bring this thread back on topic  :wink really I don't know ? I suspect "returned" means dead or alive ? Maybe the commitee can comment.

Have really been through the wars recently hence my absence.

L

Iain Cameron

« Reply #9 on: 18/01/2013 at 09:31 »
I suspect "returned" means dead or alive ?

Since all fish over 18" are to be released, anyone found with a chapped trout of that size or above would be in breach of rules. So, yes, I would say that returned means dead or alive (hopefully living).  

cheers,
iain

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #10 on: 18/01/2013 at 10:50 »
fantastic news. if only other river systems would follow this example...  :z16

cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 18/01/2013 at 11:17 »
Released "dead or alive" is just a necessary rule I'm afraid ...... I seem to remember the largest salmon to be caught on the Don for many years being kept because "it wouldn't have survived due to seal damage" - yet when a photo of it appeared in Trout & Salmon magazine there were no visible signs of any seal damage in the photo :wink

When I had rainbows and bag limits at the fishery, I used to get this quite often, "Sorry Mike, I had to keep this one as it was bleeding" or "not going back well" ..... These were never the 1.5 or 2 pounders! :wink

Some folk just can't resist the temptation :z6 ..... But in my experience, the vast majority of anglers have more sense :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #12 on: 18/01/2013 at 14:47 »
Since all fish over 18" are to be released, anyone found with a chapped trout of that size or above would be in breach of rules. So, yes, I would say that returned means dead or alive (hopefully living).  

Thanks for clarifying Iain  :z16

Lindsay

Allan Liddle

« Reply #13 on: 24/01/2013 at 22:26 »
Encouraged to hear this and a big step towards our resident browns getting the recognision they deserve.  Too long has the 'Brown Trout Are Vermin' attitude prevailed in these parts, sadly it's still common place, but by continual promotion on just how important to the river our resident's really are may help to reduce this.  Never end it though.

Our browns, especially the ones that have reached 'Noteable Standard' (i.e. fish over two pounds) let alone 'Trophy Status' (fish over three pounds) really are far too valuable to be caught only once.

Would be great to see the same ruling extended to our seatrout (should we really call them sea going browns to end the confusion?).

Digital camera, wee set digital scales, wee tape measure all you need to save the fish for prosperity, too many of them have been clubbed as evidence of the capturing 'anglers' piscatorial 'prowess'.

Really hope this attitude extends to our other waters around these parts, not holding my breath though.

Loxiafan

« Reply #14 on: 01/02/2013 at 13:35 »
I am not sure if this will be a ruling for the whole Don system, but certainly ADAA have it in their new rules. The Don is more reknowned as a Brown Trout fishery than a Salmon fishery so it is about time this was acknowledged IMO. Most of the big trout are apparently caught by Salmon anglers using spinning lures in late Summer, and it is possibly these that get chapped - I don't know any serious BT fishermen that keep fish. Pretty sure the vast majority of Salmon fly anglers would return BT given it is not the target species. Spinning should only be permitted in high water or for elderly members - most of the new younger guys I see that have joined in the last two years fish the fly for Salmon.

Now we just need to make sure everyone knows this ruling and applies it !

L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com