Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Winter Fishing in Europe?
« on: 19/12/2012 at 18:27 »
What type of fishing do you guys do in Europe in the Winter?

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

Re: Winter Fishing in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: 19/12/2012 at 21:29 »
Sadly this year i've been laid low, but generally i tend to turn my focus on the predictable, rainbows in the fisheries, very occasional pike foray (although admittedly it's been a long time since i gave the pike a bash so will need to remedy soon), grayling weekend or two Tweed System/ Clyde tied in with visiting the folks and sometimes a wee flurry in the salt water (a good friend's got his own boat berthed in Hopeman and winter cod / ling / pollack forays have been pretty successful in the past).

There's a wee course loch i know that needs a wee look, just for the sheer hell of it, so all in all there's a decent mixed bag out there if you fancy it, just a case of getting the enthusiasm.

Oh nearly forgot, Feb and the big rod comes out (for kelts, expectation followed rapidly by forlorn hope then a few glasses of shit speakin wreck the hoose juice back in the hut and the inevitable 'Coventry Treatment' for the next couple of days once i get home.  God don't you just love Spring Salmon Fishing???  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 20/12/2012 at 09:08 »
Dryflee,
We have not even had a vote on Independence yet and you are already thinking you are in Europe ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 21/12/2012 at 13:18 »
Sieger posts some great stuff about his pike fishing .... I just wondered what else our European neighbours are fishing for? :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #4 on: 21/12/2012 at 13:32 »
does subbuteo angling count? It's too wet for anything else today!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subbuteo-Angling-Game-fishing-Game-Boxed-Very-RARE-/170952876013?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Subbuteo_SM&hash=item27cd95dfed

I used to own this; always used to get moldy paste!

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 21/12/2012 at 14:25 »
I've been fishing for complements a lot lately.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 21/12/2012 at 14:26 »
I've been fishing for complements a lot lately.

:z4  :z4  :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 21/12/2012 at 19:13 »
Complimints?  Minty fresh then?   :z4 :z4

I'm sure we're still in Europe at the moment Rob, (unlike Chelsea  :wink :wink :z4 :z4)

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 21/12/2012 at 19:26 »
Marc,

You are an amazing bloke, with no doubt nice trousers and a good sense of humour. Happy now?  :z7

:z16

Well whatever the weather I'm going to fish my 3wt SLX on my 3wt Helios (old version for old mannies) for Rainbow Troot and if I'm cold and wet and they are all on the bottom then tuff luck, but I need to escape the working mans' mundane Winter routine.

Iain

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #9 on: 22/12/2012 at 00:07 »
 :z4 :z4 :z4  (i particularly like the trousers bit !  :z3 )

ok, to get back to Mike's topic: i'm back living in France now and to put it briefly there's two categories of water here: 1 and 2
1 is 'trout waters' (trout and grayling), generally but not exclusive to mountain areas.
2 is everything else. in rivers it will be downstream from Cat 1
Cat 1 closed to all fishing from the end of september to march.
Cat 2 is open all year with the exception of predators (pike, perch bass, zander) which closes during their reproductive period.

i love trout fishing but any fish is a good fish so, with the exception of zander and grayling (i don't like them, they look ugly and stupid  :z4 ) i have the opportunity to target lots of other fishes throughout the winter. and then there's the Mediterranean an hour away :)
i also do part-time surveillance work at a trout fishery (stocked rainbows and browns) in exchange for year round fishing rights so i get to fish for trout all year after all.....  :wink

cheers,
marc

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com