Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Re: Drive safe people, and buy winter tyres!
« Reply #60 on: 19/11/2013 at 15:50 »
Couple of Vredestein Snowtracs now ordered for the front of the Golf :z3

Last year's Snowtracs will go back on David's Astra as they were superb :z16

I had this debate with Matt previoussly but I'd never fit just 2

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #61 on: 19/11/2013 at 16:08 »
You're probably right Jim, I usually do fit all four ...... hmmm :z3

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #62 on: 19/11/2013 at 16:12 »
Must be feeling the cold .... I've ordered some outdoor fleeces today too :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #63 on: 19/11/2013 at 18:53 »
Jim I thought we'd had the debate before too. If I lived in the country I would have a different approach but the driving I do and the style I do it means I'm happy with just on the front. I got an email at work with an interesting video about tyres from Canadia. Cue mass panic from the expats from warmer climbs. What the video misses out is that even with four winter tyres if you're going too fast for the conditions you're forked!

I put spiked tyres on my push bike (how I normally commute). Front and back! ;)

Cheers

Matt

Mike Barrio

« Reply #64 on: 19/11/2013 at 18:57 »
I remember back in my younger days they used to say the same about mixing the old cross ply tyres with modern radials :shock

Jim Eddie

« Reply #65 on: 19/11/2013 at 19:47 »
Jim I thought we'd had the debate before too. If I lived in the country I would have a different approach but the driving I do and the style I do it means I'm happy with just on the front. I got an email at work with an interesting video about tyres from Canadia. Cue mass panic from the expats from warmer climbs. What the video misses out is that even with four winter tyres if you're going too fast for the conditions you're forked!

I put spiked tyres on my push bike (how I normally commute). Front and back! ;)

Cheers

Matt

Naw Matt one one the bike is fine  :z4

Seriously though, and if you look back over the thread I've also said this before  :wink Winter tyres do not make you invincible, just improve the odds in your favour.

I saw a video ( can't find it now  :z8) where they tested Ford Kuga's on an indoor ski slope. A 4 X 2 Kuga with 4 winter tyres creamed a 4 x 4 with summer tyres.   

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #67 on: 20/11/2013 at 08:56 »
I found my one too!

it's a good watch.  In other news I now have a very steeply sloped drive, I might need to put all season tyres on the back too!

Matt

paavo

« Reply #68 on: 20/11/2013 at 19:54 »
Even if you have 4 winter tyres, you have to adapt your speed.
So, no pedal to the metal, otherwise... :oops

//Harri

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #69 on: 21/11/2013 at 07:50 »
I remember back in my younger days they used to say the same about mixing the old cross ply tyres with modern radials :shock

Mike, they did not say that, they made it the law. Two very different grip/flex levels.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #70 on: 21/11/2013 at 08:18 »
Just to add to the conversations/videos above.

A full snow tyre only really gives its best when on hard packed snow as in the videos. An all season tyre is probably better for what we see up here unless you live miles off the beaten track and your road does not get swept/gritted.

Full snow tyres are not the best on wet or dry tarmac whilst all seasons excel on slush/wet snow/thaw water.

Buying a 4x4 with UHP, low profile tyres is totally pointless if you then expect to get grip on winter roads.

The cost of 4 winter/all season tyres and rims from somewhere like Blackcircles is often less than the insurance excess you will have to pay when you bin the car :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #71 on: 21/11/2013 at 08:24 »
Just to add to the conversations/videos above.

A full snow tyre only really gives its best when on hard packed snow as in the videos. An all season tyre is probably better for what we see up here unless you live miles off the beaten track and your road does not get swept/gritted.

Full snow tyres are not the best on wet or dry tarmac whilst all seasons excel on slush/wet snow/thaw water.

Buying a 4x4 with UHP, low profile tyres is totally pointless if you then expect to get grip on winter roads.

The cost of 4 winter/all season tyres and rims from somewhere like Blackcircles is often less than the insurance excess you will have to pay when you bin the car :)
Couldn't agree more Rob.... in fact I do believe I said something about four season tyres last year  :wink

I'm not saying Rob is wrong, far from it in fact.
My winter tyres are now about to go on the Alfa as soon as it comes back to me from the garage.

But you do not have to fit winter tyres, in our part of the world it makes as much sense to fit all-season or four-season tyres which have the M+S (not Marks & Spencer, Mud & Snow :!) rating. Depending on the tyre, I've yet to have a M+S rated tyre that has been unable to cope with heavy snow and icy conditions.

Food for thought. Or just stay at home.

H :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #72 on: 21/11/2013 at 08:56 »
Mike, they did not say that, they made it the law. Two very different grip/flex levels.

I wasn't living in the UK at the time Rob :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #73 on: 21/11/2013 at 09:43 »
Lucky you!! :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com