Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

spiros

Fishin one handed?
« on: 28/04/2007 at 12:38 »
Broke my wrist on friday morning told i will be in plaster for eight weeks.Has any body any tips for fishin with one arm or am i just being stupid?Saw a gorertex waterproof cover for going over a plaster cast so may be possible but feel thru it would be minimal.

Peter McCallum

Fishin one handed?
« Reply #1 on: 28/04/2007 at 12:52 »
fish bugs on a short line? or dry/spiders on an equally short line? buy an automatic reel to bring in line??

Stuart Smith

Fishin one handed?
« Reply #2 on: 29/04/2007 at 04:36 »
a couple of years ago i broke two bones in my left hand hitting it with a hammer at work(dont ask)and i had three weeks off work.the only reason i went back wes because i was losing my mind.but in those three weeks i learned to enjoy my fishing alot more because it wasnt hard fishing.i took alot more time to do things and i got alot more fish.i think i fished haddo a few times and i tubed a hill lock north of inverness for a weekend

what ever u do keep it dry because i didnt and it started to smell and i cut it off with a grinder(dont ask)

the doc wasnt to happy but i got some nice fish

stuart

Rob Brownfield

Fishin one handed?
« Reply #3 on: 01/05/2007 at 09:51 »
Take up Carp fishing....I dont get any bites so no need to reel in!!..lol

stickleback

Fishin one handed?
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/2007 at 22:00 »
An ideal opportunity to learn to cast with your other hand !!!  

I hurt my right wrist last year and it was giving me a fair bit of gip after just a few i minutes casting.  So to give it a rest I started trying to cast with my left hand.  It felt really wierd for the first few hours and resulted in a few more tangles than normal but then it began to get easier.  Now I can cast to a naff standard with both hands  :lol:

But it's really useful and safer when the winds against your normal casting shoulder, or you're in a boat with a fishing partner.  

My one recommendation if anyone wants to try it, is to start off with a shortish leader and a single fly - this will minimise your tangles until you begin to get the hang of it.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com