Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jonathan Kerr

websites for photography gear
« on: 20/11/2012 at 14:10 »
Hi folks,

I know some of you are into your photography, i'm in the market for a canon 650d, i'm fairly new to 'proper' photography so i'm not aware of any 'good' websites for buying stuff.

The prices for camera equipment seem to vary quite a lot (I think i read somewhere that canon don't do fixed RRP's which may be why?), and i'm sure like fishing retailers some companies are best to avoid!

If any of you know any good websites that you are willing to share please fire me a pm or reply here!

many thanks,
J

Rob Brownfield

Re: websites for photography gear
« Reply #1 on: 20/11/2012 at 16:21 »
I went and got my cameras from John Lewis. They matched prices in the photography mags.

Buy some mags, find the cheapest price (Not Amazon or Comet) and go to John Lewis..sorted. You can handle the product, and buy from a face, not a screen.

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #2 on: 20/11/2012 at 18:55 »
Cheers rob, never thought about price matching in John Lewis etc. Will check it out, although I am starting to lean towards to simplicity of amazon! I was reading online that there were quite a few issues with grey imports (procamerashop for example) which I why I wrote original question. Cheapest isn't always best! 

J

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 20/11/2012 at 19:07 »
http://www.wexphotographic.com/

Used them twice for editing programs as their price was the best I could find, looks like they would be an outlet where you could get answers or insight into more technical queries.

Happy hunting

James Abel

« Reply #4 on: 20/11/2012 at 22:28 »
Have a look on eBay price runner or just google the make model there are some good bargains on eBay I bought my 40d years ago I saved hundreds  :z12

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 21/11/2012 at 09:35 »
I always bring tourists to a pub and get them drunk. It's not like you get to chose the gear you want but its dirt cheap.  :z4

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #6 on: 21/11/2012 at 09:38 »
lol cheers guys!  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 21/11/2012 at 16:32 »
I bought my 600mm lens from Amazon. The company had great feedback so I just went for it. I was around £200 less than most places and it was on my doorstep in 3 days.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com